Author Topic: WeatherCat Scripts *BETA* of 2012-04-30  (Read 17506 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Interesting news for Lion haters (Re:How did you do that?)
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 09:29:14 PM »
Hi Randall and WeatherCat fans,

Well I talk to Apple Care to so many they aren't as smart as they should be anyway

*Sniff*, sad times for the Apple faithful.  :(

To get it to work you 1st must get a copy of the original  Install disc that came with the iMac before Lion came out
( Snow Leopard Retail won't work Apple said it would so I bought it and it didn't work you need at least 10.6.7 original install disc for it work)
Then do a complete erase and install it with the drivers from the 10.6.7 disc note if your iMac was built after Dec. 2011 forget it won't work any more Apple has change something for now won't work.

Looks like a rather tricky process, but perhaps some folks will be bold enough to try.  Sure am sorry that Apple keeps shuffling our environment - but what can ya' do?

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Anyone using latest Growl? (Re: WeatherCat Scripts)
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 09:34:59 PM »
Dear WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Poor JC is running into a mountain of troubles trying to run my AppleScripts and I'm mystified as to why.  ???

This may or may not have anything to do with it, but it would be good for me to know anyway.  Has anyone who is running Lion upgraded to the "new and improved" versions of Growl that you have to buy on the App Store for a buck? I took a look at the changes to Growl and thought my scripts should run okay without any modifications.  It certainly would be good to know if that is true in practice though!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Tornado Tim

• Strong Breeze
    • Matangi Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 with Solar and WLIP Datalogger (via VVP)
Re: WeatherCat Scripts *BETA* of 2012-04-30
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 09:45:35 PM »
I have noticed with Lion on my Macbook, apps that used to take advantage of GROWL such as Sequel Pro etc do not come up with notifications anymore.

I could possibly mean the apple scripts needs a update to interface with the latest growl version (have a look at the SDK for Growl)

HairyMcLeary

• Strong Breeze
    • DW5912
    • INORTHOT6
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355, iMac 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, Mountain Lion
Re: Anyone using latest Growl? (Re: WeatherCat Scripts)
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:33 PM »

Poor JC is running into a mountain of troubles trying to run my AppleScripts and I'm mystified as to why.  ???

This may or may not have anything to do with it, but it would be good for me to know anyway.  Has anyone who is running Lion upgraded to the "new and improved" versions of Growl that you have to buy on the App Store for a buck? I took a look at the changes to Growl and thought my scripts should run okay without any modifications.  It certainly would be good to know if that is true in practice though!

I haven't had a chance to upgrade to the new scripts yet, but the old ones didn't work properly with the new Growl and Lion.
The only Growl notification you ever receive is when the scripts first start... then nothing.

Tony

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 02:59:28 AM »
I didn't get a chance to install your upgraded scripts today, as I was away all day (see MacWeather). But I am running Lion, old Growl v1.2.2 (the free one still available here), and all the last scripts that you sent me work wonderfully! Old Growl v1.2.2 works fine with Lion, and all other apps that send Growl notifications work as they always have.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Okay let me check tomorrow (Re: latest Growl?)
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 03:23:16 AM »
Hi Tony and WeatherCat AppleScript adventurers,

I haven't had a chance to upgrade to the new scripts yet, but the old ones didn't work properly with the new Growl and Lion.
The only Growl notification you ever receive is when the scripts first start... then nothing.

Okay, this sounds very much like what JC is experiencing.  I sure thought there weren't any changes to the AppleScript interface in the new Growl, but I'd better take another look tomorrow.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Old Growl calls *should* work (Re: WeatherCat Scripts 2012-04-30)
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 05:45:37 PM »

I just glanced over the AppleScript comments about Growl 1.3 and I don't see any changes in the core scripting that actually generates notifications.  It looks to me that the old calls should work unaltered.  So I continue to be baffled why my scripts don't work. 

I'll need to check the Growl discussion group and find out about how to make AppleScripts that are backwards compatible.  However, I've got other chores on my plate right now.  I'll report back when I know more.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
AHHHHH!!!!!!!! Growl 1.3 won't work! (Re: WeatherCat Scripts 2012-04-30)
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 10:51:50 PM »

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I asked my question on the Growl forum and someone quietly pointed out that there is a "minor", "insignificant", "you'll never notice it", change in Growl version 1.2 and 1.3.

All they did was change the name of the application that AppleScripts are supposed to use from GrowlHelperApp to . . . . Growl.   :o

But wait there is more cruelty . . . . . could they have just said that?  . . . . of course not.

Quoting directly from the 1.3 changes notes:

Any existing AppleScript will need to be changed to account for GrowlHelperApp and Growl, and not just GrowlHelperApp.

Now anybody reading this could intuitively conclude that they have changed the name - correct?  Especially when they have sample code that . . . . doesn't mention any name to use in the scripting at all, and doesn't explain why . . . . . . .

;) Ya'know, it is experiences like this that make's a person wonder if the criteria for the justifiable use of force shouldn't be enlarged!!

*Heavy Sigh* . . . . . .

So to make a long lament longer, unfortunately my AppleScripts are indeed broken under Growl 1.3.  Worse, it is going to take a while to change everything to use the recommended calls instead of what I had been using before.

So sorry gang . . .      All I can recommend for now, is that you really want to use my AppleScripts that you temporarily downgrade to Growl 1.2.2 which you can download for free at the Growl web page: http://growl.googlecode.com/files/Growl-1.2.2.dmg.  If you do that, you'll be able to reinstall Growl 1.3 from the Mac App store when I have the new versions ready.

Bummer Dude!!  [banghead]  Edouard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 11:41:36 PM »
I'm glad you got it sorted out. I'm planning on sticking with the free Growl 1.2.2 as long as possible. I prefer that it is an extension rather than a stand-alone application. I forget what it was, but when I looked at the Growl 1.3 compatibility list some time ago, an app I use was not compatible with the App Store Growl.

I try to stay away from App Store versions of applications that are still available as a download from the developer. In several, the AppStore version has features removed to comply with the Sandbox and not touching certain system things requirements.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Could a Lion person test this? (Re: WeatherCat Scripts 2012-04-30)
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 12:04:22 AM »

Okay, now that I know what I'm looking at I've been studying the examples on the Growl website and it doesn't look as horrible to convert my scripts to run anywhere as I feared.

Attached to this posting is a slightly modified version of the WC Temperature Falling that should run on Growl 1.3 just as well as Growl 1.2.  Could folks running both platforms give it a try?  Obviously, especially curious about Growl 1.3 since I can't test this on my computer.

Keep in mind it will ONLY run if you have it in the WeatherCat Scripts folder and have some sort of preference file provided for this script (the default one is fine.)  The big improvement in the current version of these scripts is that they don't need to be in a specific location, but they do need to be kept in the WeatherCat Scripts folder in order to find their support files.

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 02:12:58 PM »
Yo Edouard

Downloaded and running on my system with Growl 1.3, as can be seen on the attachment. Will see what happens over the next few hours.

JC

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 10:08:25 PM »
Hi JC and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Downloaded and running on my system with Growl 1.3, as can be seen on the attachment. Will see what happens over the next few hours.

Thanks for the confirmation.  This should simplify my code fixes.  I don't think I can just patch everything within the scripts, but this will reduce the amount of recoding.

Do you have WC Temperature Falling set up to trigger with a WeatherCat custom alert?  If not, could you just trying running it every now and then?  Since you had problems after initially running a Growl script the acid test is if you can run it over and over again without failure.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 12:58:04 AM »
Sorry, I still haven't installed the updated scripts. Daughter's NBA graduation tomorrow and grand-nephew's birthday party Sunday kinda eats up the weekend. (Not that a weekend is any different than the rest of the week for me. ;) )
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
At this rate I'll leapfrog ya' (Re: WeatherCat Scripts 2012-04-30)
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 03:19:00 AM »
Howdy Steve and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Sorry, I still haven't installed the updated scripts.

Of course you haven't, I've already started revising them to work with Growl 1.3 - and you can't have those versions just yet!!  ;D

Daughter's NBA graduation tomorrow and grand-nephew's birthday party Sunday kinda eats up the weekend. (Not that a weekend is any different than the rest of the week for me. ;) )

Ain't it awful,  ;) . . . . .  work is for folks who don't have a real life!!   [lol2]

Happy weekend everybody!!  [bounce]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Update on Growl 1.3 upgrade (Re: WeatherCat Scripts 2012-04-30)
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 12:49:59 AM »

I'm having a really bad week of hassle upon hassle.  Nothing catastrophic, but still annoying.  As an example, today was a special recycling day provided by the local "waste management service" (garage to you and me.)  To my shock they insisted they would recycle lawn mowers and I had an old machine that had died.  Well, having someone pick it up sure beats any other way to get rid of it. . . . . . . So,  It only took two phone calls to get these $#!#!#@# folks to do what they said they would do if I just put the mower on the curb!!  >:(

In the meantime, I've been sniping at the AppleScripts converting them to the new scripting code that is supposed to work with old and new Growl.  I ran into a frustrating problem in which it appears this wasn't working.  However, I as converting WC Web Data Uploader and WC Twitter Uploader.  It appears I was just unlucky enough to have Internet connectivity issues just as I was testing.  [banghead]

I've converted a little over 1/2 the scripts right now.  I'll try to nibble on the rest in between the other obligations that are bouncing me around this week.  As soon as I've got them all done and have given them some run time to test, I'll release a new version of the collection.