Author Topic: Dials size  (Read 8767 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Dials size
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 05:18:05 PM »
Federico, the banner size is fine. @xairbusdriver needs to refresh the screen for it to show properly, as the banners stay in cache.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: Browser Cache and Banner Updates
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 05:23:39 PM »
That brings up an interesting point. What change would it take to get the banners to update on its own, without the necessity of a manual refresh? Seems like a no brainer that it should update with the page load.
Herb

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 05:51:26 PM »
SUMMARY

What I gained from this experience? And most importantly, what can get WheaterCat users?

1) if you have a Mac with Retina Display 5k (but I think it's the same for 21.5 "4K) to prevent the WeatherCat images are twice as large as original, you must close WeatherCat, select the application file (WeatherCat) in its folder and click FILE INFORMATION, tick the check-box "displays in low resolution". Restarting WeatherCat images will be back in their original size

2) If the Mac is in sleep mode, the serial-USB driver SiliconLab stops working. Stop Monitor (of course) let WeatherCat running.

3) If Sylvester can't find the Twitter account information in System Preferences (OS X 10.11 El Capitan), open Terminal and type as is (you can copy/paste this line here) the command line

defaults write com.apple.accountsd ACOutputLevel 7 && killall -9 accounts

then type enter. Wait a few minutes and restart Sylvester. If it does not work, repeat the procedure several times without surrender ..... finally worked.

Thank you Stu and other friends of the Forum for the support that has resulted in short to solving these problems.

Regards to All.

Federico

P.S. This display rocks and I can't understand how I could do without a fusion drive so far.... [tup]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 10:01:11 PM »
So glad you are up and running on your new monster machine.

I would still like to know if WeatherCat can be run without displaying in low resolution by creating a new preference file. Seems a shame to have a 5K iMac and have to run WeatherCat in low resolution. It's not like WC is a high-res graphic-intensive program.

I'm not asking you to do it, I'm just curious about WC on the new hardware.

I know it is a major inconvenience to rebuild the preference file. That's why I keep a clean copy of my functioning preference file. The last time I built one from scratch, I copied it somewhere else. That way, if it becomes corrupt, I have a clean copy that can be slipped into the right directory. It makes it so easy to restart without having to build one from scratch.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Assertive wagons and aggressive energy savings. (Re: Dials size)
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 11:14:12 PM »
Dear Federico, Felix, Steve, Herb, Blick,

I never thought I would be using software to control the engine in a 50 year old car!

I would have expected to find carburetors in a car 50 years ..... and maybe you'd have less trouble if you have a good hear and good screwdriver....  :)

Well, the car is 50 years old (51 in May,) but the engine is only a few months old and generates around 500 horsepower!  I was having a lot of trouble controlling the car and this fuel injection system really improved the control of the accelerator.  Now I can get the car in the garage without being afraid I might accidentally slam into something!

P.S. I am ashamed publicly because WeatherCat hang because the Mac was in sleep mode......  >:(

Well this is a case where Apple is partly responsible.  With all the emphasis on saving energy, Apple has adjusted the defaults and made it less obvious how to keep your computer running 24/7.  A number of folks had problems with their computers going to sleep while running WeatherCat shortly after the launching of El Capitan. 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 12:29:31 AM »
the banner size both in my "save" folder and in the web site folder is 500x80
And the resolution is 72 to 96 dpi?

I'm still seeing exactly the same banner on every one of your posts. It's dated "3 apr 2016 20:28" Perhaps the setting at the forums needs to be deleted and renewed? At any rate, what is showing here doesn't seem to be updating. I think they should all be showing approximately the same date/time as your last post. Perhaps Stu can confirm that theory?
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 02:03:56 AM »
I'm still seeing exactly the same banner on every one of your posts. It's dated "3 apr 2016 20:28"

Xair:

Federico's banner is updating just fine in the forum. Banners are cached so I assume if you clear your cache or refresh your screen whilst you are looking at one of his posts, you will see his refreshed banner.

Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 02:05:27 AM »
Busdriver, all you have to do is find that little arrow pointing to its tail in the right side of the URL frame and uh? and uh? uh, click it. I mean click the mouse with the pointer over the little arrow. ;) How that works when the page was just loaded, I don't know. I'm still new at this. Only started in 1984.

Free virtual beers to anyone who knows why it only refreshes the banner after clicking the reload page arrow is activated!

[cheers1]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 04:16:54 AM »
I'm not interested in looking for more hidden arrows. All I know is that Stu's and Eduoard's and my banners were all showing the date/time corresponding to the posting time. I'm now on my iPad and see that the double-sized banner is now normal and current.

Safari once had a setting to adjust the cache size. I kept mine at zero exactly to avoid problems like this. When editing web pages, it is time consuming to have to keep emptying ones cache when a simple command+r should refresh the page. Perhaps I'll simply use the Disable cache menu.

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 09:23:17 AM »
the banner size both in my "save" folder and in the web site folder is 500x80
And the resolution is 72 to 96 dpi?

I'm still seeing exactly the same banner on every one of your posts. It's dated "3 apr 2016 20:28" Perhaps the setting at the forums needs to be deleted and renewed? At any rate, what is showing here doesn't seem to be updating. I think they should all be showing approximately the same date/time as your last post. Perhaps Stu can confirm that theory?

Photoshop says both files in local WeatherCat  and website folders are 500x80 pixels with a 72dpi resolution.
You can see it at http://www.meteoperugia.altervista.org/WeatherCatBanner.jpg

After ticking low-resolution checkbox now I can see(as with iMac as iPhone, iPad, PC etc) banner, dials, webcam, graphs and alle JPG files generated by WeatherCat as normal as when I used old iMac. Upgrading to 5k all that pictures was double size.
I will not insist, but it seems strange that you continue to see my banner 1000x160 because the JPG banner (here as elsewhere) is 800x80 and I see it now the same as all other users banner (including you). ;)

Let me know if something will change in next days because I'm curious about it... ;)

Federico
Federico
Perugia, Italy

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
Re: Assertive wagons and aggressive energy savings. (Re: Dials size)
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »
Well, the car is 50 years old (51 in May,) but the engine is only a few months old and generates around 500 horsepower!

[woohoo] You created a monster! :D

Well this is a case where Apple is partly responsible.  With all the emphasis on saving energy, Apple has adjusted the defaults and made it less obvious how to keep your computer running 24/7.  A number of folks had problems with their computers going to sleep while running WeatherCat shortly after the launching of El Capitan.

I wrote that since 2013 sleep mode in iMac is managed automatically by processor after "human inactivity" (no mouse, no keyboard...etc) to save energy.
Indeed in the System Preferences->Energy Saving I can't find the slider to set the time for start sleep mode but just slider to turn off the computer display after xx minutes (or never). After Stu tips I selected / unselected various commands in the panel (basically I asked that the HDD is never turned off) and now weatherCat no longer Hangs. The strange thing is that in the old iMac (early 2006 with Snow Leopard) the computer for over 10 years went to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity (there was a double slider to computers and displays) and weatherCat worked 24/7.
Federico
Perugia, Italy

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 02:57:25 PM »
You are correct Federico. The slider options for energy saving went away in OS X in either Mavericks or Yosemite. I have to use a third-party app to keep my iMac running El Capitan from sleeping. 
Blick

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 03:10:19 PM »
You are correct Federico. The slider options for energy saving went away in OS X in either Mavericks or Yosemite. I have to use a third-party app to keep my iMac running El Capitan from sleeping.

Same here ... I use a little free app in the Apple App Store called Caffeine.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 03:15:38 PM »
Let me know if something will change in next days because I'm curious about it...
No need to do anything else. Your banner looks great! I've simply disabled caches since there is no longer a setting for making an amount. [banghead]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 03:16:56 PM »

Color me confused???

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook