Author Topic: New England snow  (Read 1723 times)

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
New England snow
« on: January 29, 2015, 08:15:56 PM »
No doubt everyone (or almost everyone) has seen news about the big snow storm in northeast USA which was a bust in New York (Not a bad thing) and the real deal further north. I am into Weather Underground weather cams lately, having installed one myself. So I was checking out their weather cams. WU has a neat page that lists the weather cams by state or country. Scroll down the page and you get the most recent image from all of the cams in that state in an easily viewable format. I found it to be a pretty neat way to survey a state, Vermont, Maine, etc. to see the affects of the storm through personal weather station web cams. I know weather cams can also be culled via the WU global map, but the state by state listing adds a measure of viewing convenience that I took to.

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/index.html

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Need a change in weather pattern (Re: New England snow)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:54:59 PM »
Dear LesCimes,

Yes, folks in New England have been really hammered.  I have a cousin living there and his children have been home with school closed for days.  They just managed to "dig a path" to the neighbors house so that they could play with their friends.  Cabin fever was getting out of control as you might expect.

Unfortunately, we are seeing a repeat of the same blocking high pressure ridge in the West that pushes the jet stream into the arctic before it plunges back into eastern parts of the United States.  The same mechanism that has brought back the drought to California is causing the extremely cold weather.  It is the third year in a row that we have had a January weather pattern like this.  We all have do is to hope that the weather pattern changes back to the one in December and the jet stream follows a more normal path instead of the "arctic express."

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
Re: New England snow
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 07:43:07 PM »
Weather patterns really do have a global connection. Fascinating. What happens in one area has an impact in another.