Author Topic: Custom Alert Question  (Read 6291 times)

nowait

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless (Heated) on a Snow Leopard Mac Mini
Custom Alert Question
« on: December 27, 2014, 05:19:12 PM »
I have a rain collector heater on my Davis weather station.

I have been using custom alerts  for hard freeze, Blizzard, Strong Wind, Ice Alert, Light Rain, Raining, Hard Rain, Cats and Dogs, Buckets of Rain, Build an Ark, etc...

I'm trying to create an alert for Snow melting in my rain collector so I can get a "Snowing" email...

The alert I set up is:
If Ext Temp < 33 AND Precip Per Hour Greater Than .001
then send me email.

I have not been successful...  If another alert has triggered like Ice Alert, does these keep other alerts from triggering?  I'm grasping at straws trying to see what I'm screwing up for my snow now alert.

Any ideas?

nowait

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Could you get us a screenshot? (Re: Custom Alert Question)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 09:16:20 PM »
Dear nowait and WeatherCat troubleshooters ,

. . . . .

I'm trying to create an alert for Snow melting in my rain collector so I can get a "Snowing" email...

The alert I set up is:
If Ext Temp < 33 AND Precip Per Hour Greater Than .001
then send me email.

I have not been successful... 

It is difficult to figure these things out without actually seeing the alert dialog box as you have set it up.  Could you try to take a screenshot of your attempted custom alert so that we might see what you actually have setup WeatherCat to do?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

nowait

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless (Heated) on a Snow Leopard Mac Mini
Re: Custom Alert Question
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 02:10:00 AM »
Yep  You're right.  It pretty tough to read my mind, only my wife can do that...

Here's a screen grab of the custom alert.  :)

Thanks.

nowait

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
That's very similar to one I have here - my blizzard warning. Same as yours but includes wind as well (it's gone off twice in the last month - no actual blizzard however).

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work - typically where an alert includes rain rate the problem is there is no rain rate :) If you can get at the bucket, pour some water in so the bucket tips twice in about a minute - that'll give you a rain rate and assuming the temperature is below your threshold it should trigger the alert. (Alternatively, wait for a real rain rate :) )

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.7 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 03:39:35 PM »
I have a similar rule for my heater. However, rather that having the rule as an alert, I have it in my Current Conditions rules. My rule states:
If Ext Temp < 33 and Precipitation Per Hour is > 0.000 inches per hour then Current Conditions Are: Snow

It works of the time, but it does not work when the melted snow flurries are not quite enough to tip the bucket.

Your rule looks like it should work unless your tipping bucket is somehow stuck. But that cannot be the case if you are recording melted snow but just not getting the email alert. Does it make any difference if you change your Precipitation Per Hour to 0.000?
Blick

nowait

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 11:24:33 PM »
That makes sense.   I currently have a Blizzard rule in my Current Conditions rules.  I could put the snowing rule in the Current Conditions and then in the custom alerts, I could test the Current Conditions for Snow (plus change the precip to compare  >0 inches) and email based on that.  I'm going to give it try.

I'll let you know if how/if it works.

Thanks,

nowait

nowait

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 11:38:50 PM »
That's very similar to one I have here - my blizzard warning. Same as yours but includes wind as well (it's gone off twice in the last month - no actual blizzard however).

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work - typically where an alert includes rain rate the problem is there is no rain rate :) If you can get at the bucket, pour some water in so the bucket tips twice in about a minute - that'll give you a rain rate and assuming the temperature is below your threshold it should trigger the alert. (Alternatively, wait for a real rain rate :) )

If I do that test, what's the best way to correct my recorded rainfall/rainrate/etc?

nowait

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Best to edit data files. (Re: Custom Alert Question)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 09:22:08 PM »
Dear nowait and WeatherCat, "there is never enough documentation", lamenters . . . . . .

If I do that test, what's the best way to correct my recorded rainfall/rainrate/etc?

To properly erase a test like that you really have no choice but to shut down WeatherCat and edit the data file.  I'm sure I've written down instructions on how to do that somewhere on the forum, but I have no idea where.  Would anybody remember a thread that we could point nowait to?  I'm really pressed for time today, so I can't.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.7 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Best to edit data files. (Re: Custom Alert Question)
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 05:14:04 AM »
To properly erase a test like that you really have no choice but to shut down WeatherCat and edit the data file.  I'm sure I've written down instructions on how to do that somewhere on the forum, but I have no idea where.  Would anybody remember a thread that we could point nowait to?  I'm really pressed for time today, so I can't.

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1346.msg11347#msg11347
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »
The rain rate can be taken out with the data viewer/editor. The daily rain will be more difficult as it'll also be stored in your console - this can be fixed with a rain edit, or corrected on the console then edited out.

Another method is to copy your December data file and run the test. Then quit WeatherCat, correct the rain on the console then put the copied data file back and run WeatherCat again (you'll need to do this within 30 minutes otherwise it'll download from your logger and the extra rain will be stored there).

nowait

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 02:02:51 AM »
Thanks for the editing instructions.

It looks like I might need to "grease up" my rain collector. I put one of the "new" Davis rain collectors with the spike kit this summer to replace my old one where I used to create a "zip tie crown of thorns" to ward the birds and squirrels from squatting on my collector.

I think it might need extra help when its so bitter cold and windy.  I'll try to find some Rain-X and see if that helps.  I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks,

nowait

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 02:32:34 AM »
I use Rain-X once a year. Works like a champion.
Blick

nowait

• Strong Breeze
Re: Custom Alert Question - Davis Collector
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 03:24:07 AM »
I purchased one of
Thanks for the editing instructions.

It looks like I might need to "grease up" my rain collector. I put one of the "new" Davis rain collectors with the spike kit this summer to replace my old one where I used to create a "zip tie crown of thorns" to ward the birds and squirrels from squatting on my collector.

I think it might need extra help when its so bitter cold and windy.  I'll try to find some Rain-X and see if that helps.  I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks,

nowait

An update on my new Davis Rain Collector....  I was cleaning the new Collector and noticed a Plastic stick on the inside of the collector near the bottom of the funnel.  I email support to find out if the black stick was some sort of alignment for the collector or if it made any difference which way the collector was install (stick next to the heater or the opposite side of the collector.  Davis support said "What black stick.:"  After some discussion, I sent a picture of the "black stick inside the collector" to them.  They responded that it must have been a manufacturing error.  They sent me a new collector and a return postage label for the retune of the error.

In the posted picture, the top is the error cone with the "stick" and bottom is the replacement cone with a "nub".

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Surprising . . . (Re: Davis Collector)
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 10:29:37 PM »
Dear nowait and WeatherCat Davis fans,

An update on my new Davis Rain Collector....  I was cleaning the new Collector and noticed a Plastic stick on the inside of the collector near the bottom of the funnel.
. . . . .
After some discussion, I sent a picture of the "black stick inside the collector" to them.  They responded that it must have been a manufacturing error.  They sent me a new collector and a return postage label for the retune of the error.

Wow!   ??? That's a really significant casting defect.  Now could a quality inspection have overlooked that?  Hope indeed that is truly a fluke, because it might indicate that Davis had contracted with a manufacturer who isn't willing to keep up the quality standards we have all come to enjoy from Davis products.

Oh well, . . . . .

Edouard

nowait

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 12:45:31 AM »
If you look real close in the bottom collector....at the 3 o'clock position, you can see a smooth circle with a dot.  I'm guessing that it might be a part of the casting which is supposed to be removed during the process.

Nowait