Author Topic: Yosemite Beachballs Temp Moving WeatherCat Help!  (Read 4775 times)

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
Yosemite Beachballs Temp Moving WeatherCat Help!
« on: November 16, 2014, 03:15:24 PM »
Having continuing problems with beechballs in Yosemite.  See this thread (http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1469.0)

So I'm thinking of taking my iMac into the shop in town to diagnose. Nearest Apple Store is 1.5 hours away. I'm looking for instructions on how to temporarily move WC to my wife's iMac, transfer data, and then transfer it back.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Prägraten am Großvenediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.5
Re: Yosemite Beachballs Temp Moving WeatherCat Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Let your data logger store the data? (Re: Yosemite Beachballs)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 09:08:47 PM »
Dear Mtn.Marty, Reinhard, and WeatherCat trouble shooters,

Having continuing problems with beechballs in Yosemite.  See this thread (http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1469.0)

You might try the protracted reset procedure once more just to see if you had a problem with one of the steps.  You don't have an external monitor I assume, so it may not be as helpful, but I am seeing some relief.

So I'm thinking of taking my iMac into the shop in town to diagnose. Nearest Apple Store is 1.5 hours away. I'm looking for instructions on how to temporarily move WC to my wife's iMac, transfer data, and then transfer it back.

Since you have a Davis station, you could just allow your station go do down and let the data logger store the data.  Even if you have the data logger set for 1 minute sampling the data logger can store over a day of data.  Depending on what you have your data logger set to, you might be able to go many weeks.  Take a look at this page on the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Capacity_of_the_Davis_data-logger_to_store_weather_data_depending_on_the_chosen_sampling_interval

So long as you don't feel a need to continue uploading data, that would save you some time.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 11:44:50 PM »
Yes, I had thought to just wait and download the data later as you suggest.

One of my problems with the protracted procedure is my inability to boot into safe mode, due to having only a bluetooth keyboard and holding down the space key doesn't seem to work. I might try the terminal command for booting into safe mode.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.7 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 03:12:20 AM »
Just yesterday I had to erase my hard drive partition and reinstall Yosemite from scratch. Prior to doing so, I moved WeatherCat to my wife's iMac. I followed the instructions posted in the wiki that Reinhard suggested in his post. The instructions are very clear and the move worked perfectly.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Pitfalls of Bluetooth keyboards. (Re: Yosemite Beachballs)
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 09:54:44 PM »
Dear Mtn.Marty, Blick and WeatherCat Mac troubleshooters,

One of my problems with the protracted procedure is my inability to boot into safe mode, due to having only a bluetooth keyboard and holding down the space key doesn't seem to work. I might try the terminal command for booting into safe mode.

Hmm, I never thought about that sort of problem.  Like so many other things about my character, I've been slow to adopt Bluetooth.  However, I just graduated to an Apple magic mouse since my venerable USB mouse left click button has started to fail.  I never understood the reason for getting a Bluetooth keyboard.  In that case the cord seems hardly an impediment.  Now I have another reason to stick with "old school" when it comes to keyboards!

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 02:26:27 AM »
Eduard et. al.  So my problem was a bad hard drive. The shop called this afternoon to let me know I could pick it up in the morning. New 1 TB drive installed and data all restored from my time machine. $200. Could have been worse. WC should be up and running with just a 24 hr lag. I'm sure the data will be filled in quickly. I'll report when I'm back up.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.7 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 04:55:27 AM »
Mtn Marty: Glad to hear you have identified the culprit.

Edouard: I used a Logitech solar powered Keyboard made for a Mac. All the Apple keys plus the extended keypad. Recharges by ambient light in the room. Uses the universal USB dongle that Logitech provides. The best keyboard I have ever had.
Blick

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 07:21:20 PM »
Got my machine back today and WOW...it's so much faster. Everything is working fine now and all the historical data for WC is uploaded to Wunderground and my computer. No missing data at all!. Breathing a big sigh of relief here in the NC mountains.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Glad you are back in business! (Re: Yosemite Beachballs)
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
Dear Mtn.Marty and WeatherCat folks, . . . .

Got my machine back today and WOW...it's so much faster. Everything is working fine now and all the historical data for WC is uploaded to Wunderground and my computer. No missing data at all!. Breathing a big sigh of relief here in the NC mountains.

Glad you are back in business!  When things are behaving that strangely, it definitely could be a hardware problem.  Glad a new hard drive has put you back in the weather data collection business!

P.S. Now I'm off to wax the "junior Buick" so she is also winterized. . . . .

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Re: Glad you are back in business! (Re: Yosemite Beachballs)
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »

Wait. Get back in here and rewrite your Apple Scripts!  ;)
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Chores always win . . . . (Was: Yosemite Beachballs)
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 09:07:28 PM »
Hi Blick and WeatherCat victims of never ending household chores . . . . .

Wait. Get back in here and rewrite your Apple Scripts!  ;)

*Sniff*, . . . . . . . da' chores always win out!

At least all the cars that are operable are now ready for winter.