Author Topic: For crying out loud - these little monstrosities still exist!!  (Read 3475 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear WeatherCat fans,

;) I've related the story of the cheapy weather station we had at my house as a kid.  Well, my nightmare has returned!!  Look at the horror of horrors that Edmund Scientifics is selling:

http://www.scientificsonline.com/personal-weather-bureau.html

Nightmare of nightmares, I thought these things went extinct before the invention of the VCR!!  However, now that I'm an old man a new generation of young people is going to be steered completely wrong about weather stations  . . . . . . .

Personal Weather Bureau - indeed!!

So next time someone tells you about all the progress we have made in the past 40 years or so - send them this URL!!  [lol]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. By the way Stu, you can skip supporting this station in WeatherCat!!  [lol2]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: For crying out loud - these little monstrosities still exist!!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 02:20:40 AM »
I remember those! I think my grandfather had one out by his garden whe I was growing up on his farm.

Sometime in the early '60s I made an electric anemometer. It consisted of two little servo motors; one outside connected to the wind vane and another inside connected to a circuit board. I soldered a bunch of neon lights to the board, and as the servo motor turned, a wiper closed the connectone,illuminating a lamp at that cardinal point. It was all mounted behind a cardboard compass rose with holes for the lamps.

The wind speed was measured by how quickly another neon lamp blinked as the anemometer cups closed a separate circuit. Funs stuff at the time!
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 10:35:20 PM »
P.S. By the way Stu, you can skip supporting this station in WeatherCat!!  [lol2]

Lol

Tailspin45

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0995
    • KCACARLS17
    • Carlsbad Science and Technology Observatory
  • Station Details: Davis 6250, 6520 USB logger, iMac, Evocam
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »
Anyone remember this from the '60s? Still available...for $120!

Pneumatic design. Rubber tube ran from the wind vane to display that had light oil in the sight gauge.

My folks weren't real pleased when I drilled a hole through the house wall for the tube!
Tailspin Tommy
http://carlsbadwx.com

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Another one!?!?! (Re: these little monstrosities still exist!!)
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:37:38 PM »
Dear Tailspin and WeatherCat fans,

Anyone remember this from the '60s? Still available...for $120!

Sufferin' succotash, my nightmares just continue!!  I remember those also!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Tailspin45

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0995
    • KCACARLS17
    • Carlsbad Science and Technology Observatory
  • Station Details: Davis 6250, 6520 USB logger, iMac, Evocam
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:09:46 PM »
Kids bought me WeatherCat for Father's Day -- just as my trial expired.

They reminded me that when they were kids (forty something years ago) we made a game of logging the temperature and wind every 15 minutes as a cold front and thunderstorms rolled through.

Didn't remember the wind part until they mentioned the dryer, which made no sense until they described it. Then I remembered the Dryer brand name (surprising since I suffer from CRS).

Sure 'nuff, still for sale. And at a price higher than a a full sensor array such as an Ambient Weather WS-2080!
Tailspin Tommy
http://carlsbadwx.com