Author Topic: Not web site savvy, need to display additional data channels  (Read 2874 times)

lakedog

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4001, DW4184, D9315
    • KGAGAINE13, KGASAUTE2, KGAGAINE24
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro(Phasing out, failing wind speed), Davis Vantage Pro2
Not web site savvy, need to display additional data channels
« on: November 25, 2012, 05:09:02 AM »
I am using a Vantage Pro2 receiving temperature data from soil and leaf wetness stations to record temperatures at multiple levels in a private lake stocked with trout. It is valuable to monitor these temps for levels hospitable to trout, especially in hot summer weather. There are 6 channels feeding this data.

I would like to post this data, as well as typical weather data to a web site, both as current data points and as graphs of data trends, so I can watch it remotely. I use Weather Underground and CWOP to monitor the weather data, but they don't take the other channels of data. I have almost zero experience building a custom web site. Is there a program or a site for someone like me to cut and paste, so to speak, a page that will display the tags from these channels as reported by WeatherCat?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Not web site savvy, need to display additional data channels
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »
Hi Lakedog,

Do you have any web space provided by your ISP where you can upload files via FTP? This is usually the cheapest and easiest option. If not, you'll have to register a domain name and purchase space on a hosting site such as GoDaddy.com or many others. These run from just a few ($5-7) to a lot ($20-100) per month. There is one available for something like $15/tear plus your domain registration, but people seem to have more than occasional problems with it. That's why the space provided by your ISP is an easy option.

Disadvantage of using your ISP's space is that it isn't very personalized. A registered domain might be www.lakedog-weather.com, where your provider's space might be www.comcast.com/host/lakedog32567/public_html/weather/

As far as soil station temperature parameters, yes, you can place several of the items you're requesting on a web page. I do that here at www.avon-weather.com/soil.html The charts are all custom charts easily made in WeatherCat, and the tags are placed on a template on your computer, populated by WeatherCat, and then FTP'd to your web space.

If this sounds like something you'd want to tackle, I'm sure we can get you up and running.
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

lakedog

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4001, DW4184, D9315
    • KGAGAINE13, KGASAUTE2, KGAGAINE24
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro(Phasing out, failing wind speed), Davis Vantage Pro2
Re: Not web site savvy, need to display additional data channels
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 02:08:49 AM »
Hi Lakedog,

Do you have any web space provided by your ISP where you can upload files via FTP? This is usually the cheapest and easiest option. If not, you'll have to register a domain name and purchase space on a hosting site such as GoDaddy.com or many others. These run from just a few ($5-7) to a lot ($20-100) per month. There is one available for something like $15/tear plus your domain registration, but people seem to have more than occasional problems with it. That's why the space provided by your ISP is an easy option.

Disadvantage of using your ISP's space is that it isn't very personalized. A registered domain might be www.lakedog-weather.com, where your provider's space might be www.comcast.com/host/lakedog32567/public_html/weather/

As far as soil station temperature parameters, yes, you can place several of the items you're requesting on a web page. I do that here at www.avon-weather.com/soil.html The charts are all custom charts easily made in WeatherCat, and the tags are placed on a template on your computer, populated by WeatherCat, and then FTP'd to your web space.

If this sounds like something you'd want to tackle, I'm sure we can get you up and running.
Steve

Yes, Steve, I do have some web space available from my ISP.  However, I have no concept of how to create a website template. I am doing pretty good to have figured out that the tags can be used to give the data to the site.

I would love some help. However, I will have to practice using the home stations, which have no soil or leaf sensors, on any attempts since the station with the sensors is a getaway place in the mountains. I will have to try to implement it there on a future visit.

Thanks,
Lakedog