Author Topic: USB over WiFi  (Read 94 times)

oamaru

• Calm
  • Station Details: TESA clone WH1080
USB over WiFi
« on: December 01, 2019, 06:19:59 AM »
I have a WH1080 clone (TESA) weather station that connects to my Mac by USB cable.  I would like to relocate the weather station unit to another room in my house but a very long USB cable is not an option.  Would it be possible to run the weather station through the USB port on a WiFi router or similar device?  If so how? 

Cheers

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Perhaps but expensive and never proven. (Re: USB over WiFi)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 11:00:06 PM »
Dear oamaru and WeatherCat home network admins,

I have a WH1080 clone (TESA) weather station that connects to my Mac by USB cable.  I would like to relocate the weather station unit to another room in my house but a very long USB cable is not an option.  Would it be possible to run the weather station through the USB port on a WiFi router or similar device?  If so how? 

I'm not aware of anyone using WeatherCat to connect to a USB station using some sort USB over IP tools, but there are at least two of them:

https://www.eltima.com/products/usb-over-ethernet/

and

https://www.flexihub.com/

They are both made by the same software company and I couldn't understand the differences.  The price is the same: $160.  That might be a lot of pay considering the cost of your station.  I don't know of any other wireless solution.

Back in 2009-10, I tried USB over Cat-5 adapters.  Here is an example:

https://www.tripplite.com/usb-over-cat5-cat6-extender-transmitter-receiver-150-ft-1-port~B202150

I wasn't able to make this work because the connection wasn't robust enough and WeatherCat repeatedly lost connection with the weather station.  This still requires a wire so perhaps that won't work for you in any case.

Sorry, that's all I am aware of.  If you come up with something else, please do let us know so we can share the wisdom.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

oamaru

• Calm
  • Station Details: TESA clone WH1080
Re: USB over WiFi
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 04:52:55 AM »
Hi Edouard.
Thanks for the help. 
I have considered a USB to Ethernet adapter and there are several on the market for reasonable prices, but as you say, a cable is still required.  I have seen some WiFi adapters for USB connectivity, but I cannot remember where I saw them.  There is also the possibility of an adapter that uses household wiring for Ethernet and some have a USB port also, I think.  The Eltima and Flexihub require a device (PC) at the front end as the hub for the USB to connect to, essentially sharing a USB input through the PC.  This is not what I wanted to do.  Some things are not simple. 

Cheers

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Invest elsewhere? (Re: USB over WiFi)
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 11:45:23 PM »
Dear oamaru and WeatherCat faithful,

. . . .
I have seen some WiFi adapters for USB connectivity, but I cannot remember where I saw them. 

I attempted to locate such a thing and failed to find anything that is simply a USB port and broadcasts on WiFi.  What I did find was similar to the software I referred in my first posting.

. . . .
Some things are not simple. 

If you can't find a way to simply move your console and will collect data, perhaps you should consider investing in a weather station that would fit your needs.  If you have to spend some money perhaps you should invest in a better station.  Either that or perhaps "write a letter to Santa" and leave it where your loved ones will see it!  [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]