Author Topic: WeatherCat failing to use 2 Logitech USB webcams (???)  (Read 1950 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WeatherCat failing to use 2 Logitech USB webcams (???)
« on: January 01, 2019, 10:33:41 PM »
Dear WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Alas, this time I'm the one with the trouble and I'm utterly at wits end trying to solve this problem.  A little over 2 weeks ago, WeatherCat stopped working with my venerable Logitech webcam.  Assuming that it had simply broken, I sought some advice on what to replace it with on this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2895.0

Based on Randall's advice, I decided to buy another Logitech webcam.  Alas, when I plugged it in and launched WeatherCat - it crashed!  Here is the punch-line and the crash report is attached.

Code: [Select]
Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: 'The activeVideoMinFrameDuration passed is not supported by the device.  Use -activeFormat.videoSupportedFrameRateRanges to discover valid ranges.'
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
abort() called

Worse still, the crash occurred after the watchdog application was launched.  As a result, WeatherCat tried starting over and over!  I had to kill the Python watchdog process to regain control of my computer.

Any attempt to get WeatherCat to launch caused the same crash even after I removed the new webcam.  Eventually, I got the strange idea of putting back the old webcam.  This allowed WeatherCat to run normally after it more once it detected the "dead webcam."

However, this is where da' plot really thickens.  I had not checked the old webcam - I just trusted the WeatherCat pronouncement.  After all this I needed to understand if any of these webcams were working.  So I fired up Quicktime and . . . . . both webcam are working just fine!  ???  Quicktime has no problems displaying an image with the old webcam.

My computer was having some problems with RAM.  I had to replace it over the Christmas weekend.  I checked and the new memory isn't malfunctioning.  I have also zapped the PRAM and replaced my preference files for WeatherCat with my backup.  No improvement.

Does anybody have some ideas of what else I could try to get my webcam back on line?

Sign me definitely at wits end!
  Edouard  ???

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
USB webcam recommendations? (Re: WeatherCat failing to use 2 USB webcams)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 10:32:51 PM »
Dear WeatherCat cinematographers,

Blick reminded me that my webcam has been down since December of last year.  My problem is that WeatherCat no longer recognizes my Logitech USB webcam even if QuickTime doesn't have any problems.  I just don't have the time to take on the installation of a IP camera right now.  Does anybody have a suggestion for another brand of USB webcam that WeatherCat is more likely to work with?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: WeatherCat failing to use 2 Logitech USB webcams (???)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 11:39:50 PM »
How much do you want to spend?
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 07:40:56 AM »
Edouard, just a shot in the blue: I recall in the darkest parts of my brain that WeatherCat has to be the only app that is using the USB cam. So - maybe - another app reaches the Logitech before WeatherCat? Maybe Digital Pictures?
On the other side - maybe I am totally wrong. But it is worth to check this idea, I think.

Cheers,
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 04:24:45 PM »
Does Logitech provide any software for setting up/modifying these cameras, often just a local web page interface?

BTW, I assume that the title of this thread means one camera at a time. No comments needed about "assuming"... :P [lol]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Working now! Must be gremlins! (Re: WeatherCat Logitech USB webcam)
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 10:34:51 PM »
Dear X-Air, Reinhard, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Before getting back to the forum, I decided to pry free 1/2 hour and see if anything had changed.  I dug up my original Logitech USB webcam and dusted it off a bit.  I then plugged it into my Mac Mini and checked.  As before the webcam was accessible via QuickTime.  I launched WeatherCat and it once more insisted camera could not be found.  However, I went to the WeatherCat preferences and this time, Mojave asked I was willing to give WeatherCat permission to use the webcam.  Bingo!  That's all it took!

The camera is back on its perch with its shade from interior lights, so I hope this problem is finally behind me!

How much do you want to spend?

[wink] . . . . . . At this point, . . . . . absolutely nuttin! . . . .  lol(1)

Thanks gang!   [cheer]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 12:29:48 AM »
Great!!! [cheer] ThU5:-)
Seems it is the simplest things that we always try last. Of course, it doesn't help when Apple keeps making changes to protect us from ourselves! [banghead]

So, as I understand it, you are now using three cameras with WC. Three different views, I assume (again?!). Panorama?! Maybe catch those deer and salamanders coming to get a drink from that bird bath?! cmu:-)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 07:07:17 AM »
Edouard:

I love it when a WeatherCatter figures out a solution. Nice work.
Blick