Author Topic: Moving WeatherCat to a new computer.  (Read 87 times)

wx-watch

• Calm
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 and a Mac Mini
Moving WeatherCat to a new computer.
« on: January 08, 2019, 05:22:50 AM »
I have a 2011 Mac Mini connected to a Vantage Pro 2.
My new Mac Mini is on order and when it arrives I will transfer WeatherCat to it.

I have read

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Moving_a_WeatherCat_installation_from_one_computer_to_another

But I wonder if I could outline the actual way I will perform the transfer just to check.

When the new Mac Mini arrives I will take it out of the box 😂 and set it up on my network and check for updates. Do I then need to install the USB drivers the Davies Station needs or will data migration take care of this?

Then I will stop WeatherCat on the old machine and do a backup to a USB hard disk.

Then I will use Migration Assistant to copy all the data to the new machine.

Plug in the USB lead from the station, reboot (for good luck) and all should be perfect.

Yes?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, MacBook Pro (Early 2011), macOS 10.13.6, WeatherCat 3
Should be fine - latest driver? (Re: Moving WeatherCat to a new computer.)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 10:53:01 PM »
Dear wx-watch and WeatherCat upgraders,

I have a 2011 Mac Mini connected to a Vantage Pro 2.
My new Mac Mini is on order and when it arrives I will transfer WeatherCat to it.

. . . . .

Then I will use Migration Assistant to copy all the data to the new machine.

Plug in the USB lead from the station, reboot (for good luck) and all should be perfect.

Yes?

In a word  - correct!  The Migration Assistant will do all the work of moving your files over.  The only thing to double-check is if you have the latest drivers for your station.  Even so you could install these now on your old Mac Mini and the new drivers would be moved over by the Migration Assistant.

Let us know how all this turns out!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]