Author Topic: Moods of the sky behind our weather instruments 2018-19.  (Read 457 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, MacBook Pro (Early 2011), macOS 10.13.6, WeatherCat 3
Moods of the sky behind our weather instruments 2018-19.
« on: September 29, 2018, 09:45:40 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs . . . .

Once more we have crossed another Autumnal Equinox which means it is time to start a new thread for photos capturing the sky around our weather instruments.  This morning offered a decent start to this activity:

The weather has turned very fall-like after a period of hot off-shore winds.  Indeed, there is some hope for rain next week coming from remnants of Eastern Pacific Hurricane Rosa.

Stay tuned!
. . . . 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP™ Data Logger | iMac (late 2013), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM, macOS High Sierra | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | Supportive Wife
Re: Moods of the sky behind our weather instruments 2018-19.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 10:07:35 PM »
Well, the last three days have been answers to prayers here in much of the drought-stricken West. At our mountain home we have recorded 2.64 inches (6.71 cm) of precipitation. And this morning, we awoke to a pleasant surprise: 3 inches (7.62 cm) of snow. Now if I only had an electronic snow sensor like Reinhard...
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, MacBook Pro (Early 2011), macOS 10.13.6, WeatherCat 3
Neat preview of Winter! (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2018-19.)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 10:57:51 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat drought sufferers,

Well, the last three days have been answers to prayers here in much of the drought-stricken West. At our mountain home we have recorded 2.64 inches (6.71 cm) of precipitation. And this morning, we awoke to a pleasant surprise: 3 inches (7.62 cm) of snow. Now if I only had an electronic snow sensor like Reinhard...

Congratulations on all the precipitation!   [tup]  Thanks for the lovely pictures also!  Definitely a preview of Winter in your corner of the world!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Finally some colorful clouds! (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2018-19.)
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 10:36:24 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

Northern California has been mostly under the control of high pressure ridges.  This has resulted in warm and dry conditions lasting longer than you would expect for being this late in October.  However, a storm to our North did bring in the marine layer enough to create this scene behind my anemometer this morning:

Alas, the overall pattern continues.  Warmer is more the norm than otherwise and no rain expected for at least two weeks.

Such are da' conditions that prevail . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Clouds from a storm to our North. (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2018-19.)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 10:26:47 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

Alas, the dry season is stubbornly refusing to end here in Northern California.  There is no chance of rain for at least two weeks.  However, storms to our North are spinning clouds into our area and produced this sort of fair weather scene:

I'm getting more than a little weary of this warm dry weather, but at least we can all enjoy a bit of "painted sunrises."

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.13.4/WC 3.0
Re: Moods of the sky behind our weather instruments 2018-19.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »
Maple trees and Euonymus shrubs are always the first to show color. These are our red varieties:

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for sharing!! (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2018-19.)
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 09:35:26 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat Shutterbugs,

Maple trees and Euonymus shrubs are always the first to show color. These are our red varieties:

Very nice!   :)  Thanks for sharing!

Here in California we are stuck in a "broken record" weather pattern, so I'm glad somebody has been able to contribute something novel to this thread!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Last sunrise of daylight savings. (Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2018-19.)
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 08:29:34 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs,

I had noticed that the crescent Moon was closing in on the sunrise and that presented some interesting photographic opportunities.  However, this morning was the last sunrise before daylight savings ends in the United States so basically it was "now or nothing" for that shot.  Here is the best photo of the 18 attempts this morning:

Enjoy!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Tragic déjà vu . . . . . .(Re: Moods of the sky . . . 2018-19.)
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 10:48:10 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning, . . . . . . .

This morning I was able to capture the following image of the sun rising on the same horizon as my anemometer:

It does look very similar to the photo I posted back in on August 7th:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2578.msg27158#msg27158

The smoky background is very similar.  Of course the position of the sun is radically different.  It is a reminder of how the sun travels across the sky during the seasons.  Alas, I never thought I would be taking a photo of the sun though the smoke of a wild fire in November.

The smoke is also having a far more pronounced effect on the weather.  The high on November 7th (the day before the fire started) was 72˚ F (22˚ C).  Today's high will only be 59˚ F (15˚ C).  The humidities are still very low and we are continuing to have off-shore wind events.  We are under another Red Flag fire warning tonight through tomorrow morning.

Certainly it is an unbelievable weather scenario coming horribly true.

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard