Author Topic: WiFiLogger  (Read 221 times)

crawdad62

• Calm
    • KINGREEN96
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 with 24hr. FARS with BloomSky cam, 27” 5k iMac
WiFiLogger
« on: September 24, 2018, 06:23:58 PM »
Is anyone using the WiFiLoggerhttps://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/wifilogger/ and if so does WeatherCat play well with it?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP™ Data Logger | iMac (late 2013), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM, macOS High Sierra | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | Supportive Wife
Re: WiFiLogger
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 07:18:20 PM »
I have not seen that product before, so thanks for posting. I have been to the manufacturer's site several times and looked at their stuff, which appears to be well designed and built. I have a Davis WeatherLinkIP™ Data Logger and just plug it into the port of an Apple Airport Express, which allows me to put the console wherever I desire.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, MacBook Pro (Early 2011), macOS 10.13.6, WeatherCat 3
According to the manufacturer it should work (Re: WiFiLogger)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 11:07:27 PM »
Dear crawdad62, Blick, and WeatherCat Davis fans,

Is anyone using the WiFiLoggerhttps://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/wifilogger/ and if so does WeatherCat play well with it?

I had seen this item on the Scaled Instruments website, but was so busy I didn't investigate, so thanks for your question.  Scaled Instruments has this link with more information on the product:

https://www.weatherstations.co.uk/wifi-logger.htm

I'm quoting from the key paragraph below:

WiFi connection to a local computer running weather station software The WFL behaves essentially like a local WeatherlinkIP logger and offers exactly the same data formats as the standard Davis logger, including real-time (LOOP and LOOP2) and archive/summary data. As a result, it should interface to any software that can connect locally to a WeatherlinkIP logger via TCP/IP – this includes CumulusMX, Weather Display, Weatherlink, Weathercat (for Mac users) and several others. (Note: Software is not supplied with the WiFi logger but should be downloaded from the main site for each program);

So according to the manufacturer, this device is supposed to work with WeatherCat.  However, as far as I know, nobody has reported successfully doing this on this forum anyway.  It's worth a try, but definitely make sure you understand your return options - just in case!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

crawdad62

• Calm
    • KINGREEN96
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 with 24hr. FARS with BloomSky cam, 27” 5k iMac
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 01:18:11 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Hmmm well I’m going to read and re-read the thread at wxforums. Scaled Instruments is a good place and the owner replies quickly. I may shoot him an email.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, MacBook Pro (Early 2011), macOS 10.13.6, WeatherCat 3
Email the manufacturer? (Re: WiFiLogger)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:37:07 PM »
Dear crawdad62 and WeatherCat technology leading edgers,

Thanks for the replies. Hmmm well I’m going to read and re-read the thread at wxforums. Scaled Instruments is a good place and the owner replies quickly. I may shoot him an email.

That's all good ideas.  However, probably your best bet is to send an email to the manufacturer directly.  If they have tested their data logger with WeatherCat and it does work, then you are in business.  If they simply assume it should work because it has the same hardware interface as the Davis IP logger, that isn't quite as much of a reassurance.  Certainly you could shoot an email to Ryan Wilhour at Scaled Instruments and explain the situation.  He should be willing to take back the product if the manufacturer claims it does work with WeatherCat but turns out to be mistaken.

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. If you go ahead and purchase this logger - by all means - do let us know what you discover!  If it works fine with WeatherCat, I'll gladly add that information to the WeatherCat Wiki.

crawdad62

• Calm
    • KINGREEN96
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »
Well I ordered the WiFi Logger. I would assume that now that there's no connection from the console to the Mac that you need to configure WeatherCat as you would if you were using Meteobridge?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Assume it is a Davis IP data-logger (Re: WiFiLogger)
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 11:23:38 PM »
Dear crawdad62 and WeatherCat explorers of new technology,

Well I ordered the WiFi Logger. I would assume that now that there's no connection from the console to the Mac that you need to configure WeatherCat as you would if you were using Meteobridge?

According to the manufacturer's webpage I referenced on my previous posting, you should configure the WiFi data logger like the Davis IP data logger.  Instead of plugging in your console into your Ethernet, the WiFi data logger has an IP address on your WiFi network.  You can use that to configure the data logger following the same instructions for the Davis IP data logger.  There are instructions on how to do this starting on page 73 of the current WeatherCat manual.

There is additional instructions on the WeatherCat Wiki that you will find here:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=How_to_setup_the_Davis_WeatherLinkIP%E2%84%A2_data_logger

Please do let us know how this product works out for you!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP™ Data Logger | iMac (late 2013), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM, macOS High Sierra | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 07:47:12 AM »
One additional reminder to reserve a DHCP slot for your internal IP address in your router as the first step for configuring this data logger. Makes the whole thing much simpler if you have an assigned slot for an internal static IP address tied to your new logger's MAC address.
Blick