Author Topic: Weather Cat won't connect to New Envoy  (Read 6687 times)

allyenw@gmail.com

• Calm
    • cw8926
    • kcodenve36
  • Station Details: Lakewood, CO USA Vantage Pro 2
Weather Cat won't connect to New Envoy
« on: July 27, 2018, 03:57:25 AM »
Hello,

I have used WC for many years. Finally got a new Envoy to try to correct my out of calibration barometer. Got the new Envoy set up with WeatherLink on PC. Weatherlink successfully starts recording data. I move the Envoy to my Mac (OSX High Sierra). WC doesn't update with current weather.

Log keeps saying something like "can't downlaod data will retry in 30 seconds." I tried resetting station comms and when I select Vantage Pro 2 it shows the comms port as "/dev/cu.bluetooth-Incoming-Port" It won't let me select another port.

I did not change anything on the Mac, just swapped Envoys.

Thank you for your help,
Allyen

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Try updating your driver (Re: Weather Cat won't connect to New Envoy )
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 11:21:51 PM »
Dear Allyen and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Since this is your first post on the WeatherCat forum let me first welcome you to the forum! . . . .

I have used WC for many years. Finally got a new Envoy to try to correct my out of calibration barometer. Got the new Envoy set up with WeatherLink on PC. Weatherlink successfully starts recording data. I move the Envoy to my Mac (OSX High Sierra). WC doesn't update with current weather.

Log keeps saying something like "can't downlaod data will retry in 30 seconds." I tried resetting station comms and when I select Vantage Pro 2 it shows the comms port as "/dev/cu.bluetooth-Incoming-Port" It won't let me select another port.

Your problems suggest to me that your driver to connect to Davis data logger might be out of date.  We have troubleshooting information for the Davis stations on the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Davis

Included there is the current location where you can download the latest drivers.  At the moment this link will take you to the current driver for Macs:

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

You will need to scroll down past all the Windows drivers to reach the Mac drivers.

Try updating that and see if that solves your problem.

Do let us know what you discover.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

dweeks

• Calm
    • KAZFLAGS50
  • Station Details: David Vantage Vue
Re: Weather Cat won't connect to New Envoy
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 09:39:21 PM »
Edouard,

I have an almost identical problem.

I migrated my WC files from a Macbook Air to a Mini. The Mini is connected to a Weather Envoy, which I configured using Weatherlink Mac.

Weatherlink Mac sees the Vantage Vue, and gets and displays data

But WeatherCat gives the same error the OP is getting.

I've checked to make sure the USB driver is correct for the OS X version on the Mini.

After two hours of troubleshooting, I'm running out of ideas.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Still could be a driver issue (Re: Weather Cat won't connect to New Envoy )
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 10:39:14 PM »
Dear dweeks and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I have an almost identical problem.

. . . .

Weatherlink Mac sees the Vantage Vue, and gets and displays data

But WeatherCat gives the same error the OP is getting.

I've checked to make sure the USB driver is correct for the OS X version on the Mini.

After two hours of troubleshooting, I'm running out of ideas.

Which driver are you using?  You can get information on the available drivers on this page of our WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Obtaining_the_latest_drivers_for_use_with_Davis_data_loggers

If you download the latest driver, there are versions for MacOS 10.11 and later and a legacy version for MacOS 10.10 and 10.9.   Whenever possible, try to use the latest driver that is available for the version of MacOS that you are running.

Let us know what you uncover.

Cheers, Edouard

dweeks

• Calm
    • KAZFLAGS50
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 10:49:05 PM »
Edouard,

The Mini is running OS X 11 El Capitan, and the USB driver is the right one. This is from the release notes:

CP210x Macintosh OS X VCP Driver v5 Release Notes
Copyright (C) 2017-2018 Silicon Laboratories Inc.

This release contains the following components:

* SiLabsUSBDriverDisk.dmg - Image containing the VCP Driver Installer
* ReleaseNotes.txt (this file)
* uninstaller.sh - a bash shell script for removing the driver

Known Issues and Limitations
----------------------------

This release includes the Macintosh OSX driver for 64 bit Intel
   Macintosh computers running MacOS X 10.11 or greater.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
EMI issue? (Re: Weather Cat won't connect to New Envoy )
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 11:12:50 PM »
Dear dweeks and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

The Mini is running OS X 11 El Capitan, and the USB driver is the right one. This is from the release notes:

Okay, then the next things to check is whether or not something is interfering with the cable itself.  WeatherCat requires more data than WeatherLink so it could be that something is interfering with the data coming from your Envoy to your Mac.  What sort of devices to you have around the Envoy?  If you have a lot of other electronics, you might try relocating the Envoy as far as the cable will permit you to go.  There is some more information on this sort of problem on the Davis page of the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Electronic_Interference_Effects_on_Station_Hardware/Data_Logger/USB_Cable

Something else that is well worth considering is Ferrite Cores.  My Weather Envoy is in the same room as 4 computers, but I don't have any problems with the signal.  I have had the cores described on the Wiki page since 2010 or so. 

Let us know if relocating your Envoy helps.

Cheers, Edouard

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
  • Station Details: VP2 Mac Mini running 10.11.6
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 06:15:20 PM »
I am having the same unresolved issue with a mini running El Capitan (10.11.6)

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2808.0

Let me know if you have success.

Cabut

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 08:19:42 PM »

Found the fix.

1. Uninstall WC 3.01

2. Install WC 2.44

Driver: Latest from SiLabsUSBDriver v. 5.05

Works like a charm.

Cabut

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 02:37:36 AM »
Found the fix.

1. Uninstall WC 3.01

2. Install WC 2.44

Driver: Latest from SiLabsUSBDriver v. 5.05

Works like a charm.

I love it when stuff works. Thanks for the report and for working it until it worked. However, it ought to also work on WC 3.01
Blick

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 05:55:24 PM »
No one is more pleased than I [rockon]!

If you ever discover why 3.01 did not work on 10.11.6 using the latest SiLab driver (5.05) please let me know!

Thanks,

Cabut

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 06:29:40 PM »
If you ever discover why 3.01 did not work on 10.11.6 using the latest SiLab driver (5.05) please let me know!

Cannot help in this one, but there is clearly a very lower macOS working with V3.02, look at the WeatherCat Tags Reference site:
http://live.trixology.com/custom/

:-[

By the way, did you try V3.02?

Cheers,
Reinhard

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 02:54:43 AM »
No, it wasn?t available when I start my quest. But after going over everything to make 3.01 work with an expert(Xair) for two days I was just relieved to have WeatherCat working no matter what version!

Cabut

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 07:32:11 AM »
... I was just relieved to have WeatherCat working ...

Fully understand!  :)
Reinhard

dweeks

• Calm
    • KAZFLAGS50
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 03:49:39 PM »

Cannot help in this one, but there is clearly a very lower macOS working with V3.02, look at the WeatherCat Tags Reference site:
http://live.trixology.com/custom/

:-[

By the way, did you try V3.02?

Cheers,

Where can I find 3.02 to download? It does not show in the download page, nor does WC 3.01 Update command show it.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 04:36:44 PM »
It is a development build, still under construction. So if you are going to run it, make sure you have everything backed up, etc.

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2754.msg26944#msg26944
Blick