Author Topic: Took a leap of faith and installed High Sierra  (Read 304 times)

Weatheraardvark

• Strong Breeze
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, is that better?
Took a leap of faith and installed High Sierra
« on: September 26, 2017, 01:02:39 AM »
Took about 35 minutes to run. Now I have a fusion drive so no new file system.  Now if some of the fancy things promised didn't load because of the drive thing, could have been.

I don't notice any problems with WC.  Loads fine.  As far as any of the apps,  yea  the photos are bit different when they are edited, something called Jabber that can be added to messages if you want.   Messages are stored up to a year or so.   You have to go through the preferences again to see anything.

i am pretty positive that this update install is a platform for other things to come down the pike.  such as the file system for the fusion drive.  the good everything works.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2); Soil Moisture/Temp Station;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Sierra; Bloomsky Sky 2; https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/faBiuZWsnpW6n6il
http://www.desmoinesweather.org
https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/JoeToubes/2/show.html

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro-2 Plus with FARS, Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temp Sta + WeatherLink IP. Two prototype Sharx 3905 HD wide-angle webcams and one production model 3905, all using EvoCam v5.0. WeatherCat 2.4.3 on macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra).
Re: Took a leap of faith and installed High Sierra
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 01:37:03 AM »
Thanks, Weatheraardvark. I've been testing it on the last last public beta with no WC problems I could definitely pin on High Sierra.

Weatheraardvark

• Strong Breeze
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 04:22:29 AM »
it appears at this time, they "apple" is going for the no track  with sierra, no auto play on websites.   Mail being able to improve the message received, and photos.    I suspect more will happen down the road.  With any OS upgrade there is a certain degree of risk.  But for me,  it was flawless (of course I haven't let this simmer over night.)
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2); Soil Moisture/Temp Station;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Sierra; Bloomsky Sky 2; https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/faBiuZWsnpW6n6il

awilltx

• Strong Breeze
    • DW5602
    • KTXDALLA70
    • East Dallas, TX Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2+ with 24hr FARS, mid '17 iMac 4.2 i7 16GB, macOS Sierra 10.13
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »
I will be interested to see experiences with the new file system. I have an SSD here, so if I were to upgrade there would be no choice for me.

Glad to hear a couple of positive notes so far.

Alan

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro-2 Plus with FARS, Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temp Sta + WeatherLink IP. Two prototype Sharx 3905 HD wide-angle webcams and one production model 3905, all using EvoCam v5.0. WeatherCat 2.4.3 on macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra).
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 04:55:59 PM »
What kind of a backup method are you going to be using, Weatheraardvark?

I guess Apple's own Disk Utility (albeit it's not bootable) might be a good choice until Nanian and Bombich get their respective backup software totally sorted out now that we've got two sets of file circumstances...APFS on the SSD drives and HFS+ on the HHDs and Fusion Drives (with the promise of a later update).

I'm not worrying about a backup on my test partition but I'm not yet willing to convert my more critical machines.

awilltx

• Strong Breeze
    • DW5602
    • KTXDALLA70
  • Station Details: Davis VP2+ with 24hr FARS, mid '17 iMac 4.2 i7 16GB, macOS Sierra 10.13
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
until Nanian and Bombich get their respective backup software totally sorted...

Carbon Copy Cloner is High Sierra compatible since v5 came out (they are now at 5.0.2) and SuperDuper! has a beta (as I recall reading).

Alan

Weatheraardvark

• Strong Breeze
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 06:36:28 PM »
What kind of a backup method are you going to be using, Weatheraardvark?

I guess Apple's own Disk Utility (albeit it's not bootable) might be a good choice until Nanian and Bombich get their respective backup software totally sorted out now that we've got two sets of file circumstances...APFS on the SSD drives and HFS+ on the HHDs and Fusion Drives (with the promise of a later update).

I'm not worrying about a backup on my test partition but I'm not yet willing to convert my more critical machines.

Sorry I didn't see your question earilier, I was having a CT scan.. eh..    I use two external drives (thunderbolt) and an offsite.   I use Time machine to a 6TB  and a 4tb for normal dates as well as the off site.    This update I think is a platform for other updates.  Ithe added memory really helps a lot.

For me it was a choice max the memory or get a better drive.   I opted for the memory.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP™ Data Logger | iMac (late 2013), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM, macOS Sierra | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 07:29:31 PM »
Carbon Copy Cloner is High Sierra compatible since v5 came out (they are now at 5.0.2) and SuperDuper! has a beta (as I recall reading).

True, but CCC has posted some known issues. https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/high-sierra-testing-and-known-issues
Blick

Felix

• Gale
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 08:23:54 PM »

Alan, I don't think either one of those guys has things truly sorted out yet although Bombich seems to have an edge. On one of his pages about setting up the backup drive for CCC, Mike wrote:

"We recommend that you choose APFS if your destination device is a Flash storage-based device (e.g. an SSD) and will be used to back up 10.13 or higher. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if your destination device is a spinning-platter-based device (i.e. a hard disk drive, or HDD), or if you are backing up an operating system older than 10.13. We're still waiting for additional specific guidance from Apple on when to choose one format over the other, however, so if you see contradictory advice from Apple on this matter, we beg your pardon and ask that you defer to Apple's advice on the best format to choose."

Additionally, Blick linked to some other known issues with CCC.

OTOH, in an e-mail exchange with Dave Nanian, he wrote an eye-popping "Can I suggest not doing this at all until the first few releases of High Sierra come out and are more completely tested?"

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless w/remote wireless Anemometer Kit
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
Can I suggest not doing this at all until the first few releases of High Sierra come out and are more completely tested?"
Not "eye popping" at all, IMHO. Standard recommendation from all trusted experts for the last several OS versions. Even for regular folks. Anyone using a computer for earning a living should be even more cautious.
"Any program can be reduced by one line of code.
All programs have at least one bug.
Eventually a program will have one line of code... with a bug."

There's simply no way Apple (or any other company) can test the almost infinite combinations of hardware and software users can have. What is the point of being the "first one on the block" to find the bug?!

pat62

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue with Macbook Pro
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 09:19:13 AM »
I installed High Sierra but it won’t load historical data and locks out so I have to force quit. Any suggestions.

Felix

• Gale
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 10:50:32 AM »
Not "eye popping" at all, IMHO. 

From a guy who's livelihood depends upon selling bootable backup software? His current 2.9.2 public release is a free upgrade but I assume the 3.0 release, which will support APFS on SSD drives as well as HHDs and Fusion drives, won't be...there's a lot of work being put into that. I was a bit taken back at the frankness (thus my "eye-popping" comment) but it certainly gave me pause for thought and changed my mind about being an early adopter on this one even though I usually am and have been running the public betas on a test partition. My plan is to now put the GM on that partition and continue testing the three or four pieces of software I have which sometimes don't play particularly well with major upgrades. They eventually do when the developers finally turn their attention to the task at hand, but not all developers have the resources to get out in front of Apple's yearly changes.

awilltx

• Strong Breeze
    • DW5602
    • KTXDALLA70
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 08:35:26 PM »
Well folks, I found some down time and decided to upgrade to High Sierra 10.13. My current setup is a 2017 27" iMac 4.2GHz i7 with 16GB, 1TB SSD, Radeon Pro 580 8GB. I also have a 1TB external SSD for Time Machine backups and Carbon Copy Cloner. Here was my experience upgrading using the link from the App Store:

Download size was around 4.2GB. During the upgrade, my machine rebooted 5 times (!) and I was starting to get worried that this was not going to work. Finally, a progress screen showed with estimated time of 42 minutes. It only took 27 minutes (and that is with about 390GB currently being used on the main drive). So now the boot drive is in the new APFS format. I noticed an increase of around 20GB free space after the upgrade.

Once the final reboot took place, the first thing I noticed was none of my startup apps launched. No big deal to reset those up, but come on, Apple!

Finally launched WeatherCat and everything went smoothly, even with downloading historical data from the logger and doing a historical update to WeatherUnderground. Granted, I was only down for 27 minutes, so there wasn't a lot of data.

So far, everything is running fine with no glitches or crashes at all. I will monitor CPU and memory usage to see if there is anything noticeable, but so far both seem to be within the same range as before the upgrade. WeatherCat backup and Time Machine backups seem to be working fine. CCC says it worked, but I have not booted from the clone as yet. Current uptime is 1 day, 1 hour.

Hope this helps. Good luck with everything.

Alan

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, MacBook Pro (Mid 2009)
Using latest drivers? (Re: Installed High Sierra)
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »
Dear pat62 and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I installed High Sierra but it won’t load historical data and locks out so I have to force quit. Any suggestions.

Have you installed the latest driver from Silicon Labs?  It is the only version that appears to work with High Sierra.  You can learn more about this driver on this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2550.0

Cheers, Edouard

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Prägraten am Großvenediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 8 GB of RAM | 2x Canon EOS 1100D | macOS 10.13 HighSierra
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 01:31:32 PM »
A nice read from a SuperDuper! developer, and a link to their V3.0 B1:

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/index.php/comments/cheat_sheet
Reinhard