Author Topic: A very dry March for the Western United States?  (Read 1635 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
A very dry March for the Western United States?
« on: February 24, 2017, 11:46:56 PM »
Dear WeatherCat West Coast drought watchers,

There was a very ominous final paragraph to this afternoon's San Francisco forecast discussion:

Longer range guidance keeps a stronger than normal ridge over our entire region potentially through most of the month of March.  After two extremely wet months, we could be looking at a complete reversal for next month.

Sure enough, if you head over to the NWS Climate Prediction Center you'll see below normal precipitation and above normal temperatures for much of the Western US in the 6-10 day, 8-14 day, and experimental week 3-4 outlook.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

Now none of these forecasts has been particularly accurate this year - especially the 3-4 outlook.  Still, the La Ni?a conditions have supposedly stopped, which might have something to do with all the precipitation.  Sadly strong high pressure ridges have been all too common in past winters and extreme weather changes has also been more common in the West as well.

I sure hope this turns out to be wrong, but sadly, I would not be surprised if it is correct . . . .  :(

Oh well, . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: A very dry March for the Western United States?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 10:13:28 AM »
The winter storms in the Western US have sure been wet one. It has been nice to see the snowpack, which will fill lakes and reservoirs as it warms up. Hate to see that come to an end.
Blick