Author Topic: WeatherCat Scripts *BETA* of 2012-04-30  (Read 17487 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WeatherCat Scripts *BETA* of 2012-04-30
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:34:48 PM »
Dear WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Hope I'm not rushing this release out a little quick, but everything seemed okay and hate to sit on it.  From now on, I'll just go by the date so this is the release of April 30, 2012.  You can download it here:

http://www.canebas.org/WeatherCat/AppleScripts/WeatherCat%20Scripts%202012-04-30.zip

However, the AppleScripts themselves will get unique version numbers as they are changed.

The release notes are as follows:
  • Added a check to WC ET Reporter for unreasonable temperature values.
  • Created Start WeatherCat Scripts and Stop WeatherCat Scripts so that users can launch the scripts automatically from WeatherCat's startup/shutdown actions.
  • Corrected errors in documentation.
  • Changed the way some values were assigned in WC Storm Monitor to avoid a potential divide by 0 condition.

With this release comes the first issue of upgrading.  There is a file called Upgrade Instructions.rtf that will provide a recommended procedure for this particular upgrade.  In this case, the upgrade path is fairly obvious.  Quit the AppleScripts that are running and need to be upgraded, copy the updated AppleScripts, and copy the updated documentation.  In that file is described another process where you move your preferences and current weather data.  This might a be case where you would want to do it this way because I've created some aliases to the documentation for quick reference within the WeatherCat Scripts folder.  If you truly want a mirror-image of my development folder, that's the best way to get it.

Give'em a try and let me know if you have any problems with them!  [computer]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: WeatherCat Scripts *BETA* of 2012-04-30
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 12:06:53 AM »
Nice work Edouard  [tup] I've just added some basic info to the wiki ( http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Integration )

Cheers,
Stu.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks Stu! (Re: WeatherCat Scripts 2012-04-30)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 12:57:33 AM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat fans,

Nice work Edouard  [tup] I've just added some basic info to the wiki ( http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Integration )

Thanks Stu!  I'm behind on stuff like adding to the Wiki.  That should help folks find the scripts.  I'll make a point to keep that info up to date in the future.

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »
It's always me Edouard - sorry [computer]

In the start WC script there are two errors. (Please see attachment) Compile will not let me alter the application descriptions unfortunately.

In the WC stop script the applications are per the documentation. :)

Regards

JC

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
How are you trying to change them? (Re: WeatherCat Scripts 2012-04-30)
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 04:32:35 PM »
Hi JC and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

In the start WC script there are two errors. (Please see attachment) Compile will not let me alter the application descriptions unfortunately.

Unfortunately, I don't see any error messages in the screen-shot you have taken.  The one thing I see is if you are trying to comment out the WC ET Reporter script, the two dashes are missing.  There are several way to comment things out in AppleScript, but the one I suggested was to put two dashes and a space in front of the line you want AppleScript to ignore.  So to have the Start WeatherCat Scripts not start up WC ET Reporter you need to modify that line like this:

-- tell application "WC ET Reporter" to activate

Is that the problem?  If not, please try to relay to me the error message so I can try to figure out what's wrong.

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »
Hi Edouard

In the application there are a total of six Apple Scripts that your script opens in turn.

In the screen shot Number 4 and 5 were both named Weather Cat, not WC Storm Monitor and WC Status Growler as in the Stop Script. When I tried renaming them before Apple Script Editor refused to rename to the correct application names.

Regards

JC

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Something corrupted (Re: WeatherCat Scripts 2012-04-30)
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:23:53 PM »
Hi JC and WeatherCat Scripters,

In the screen shot Number 4 and 5 were both named Weather Cat, not WC Storm Monitor and WC Status Growler as in the Stop Script. When I tried renaming them before Apple Script Editor refused to rename to the correct application names.

Okay sorry, I hadn't noticed that the wrong applications were in those fields.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how that could happen.  I just checked again and the AppleScripts are correct on the server.  How on earth could the AppleScript editor "randomly pick" some other application name instead of the one I put in there!?!!?

Please try two things.  One is to get an original copy of the WeatherCat Script folder: http://www.canebas.org/WeatherCat/AppleScripts/WeatherCat%20Scripts%202012-04-30.zip.  Open the Start WeatherCat Scripts file using the AppleScript Editor and do a Save-As to overwrite the file format.  It is known that Lion AppleScript formats are supposed to be different from Snow Leopard formats.  The Snow Leopard AppleScripts will run fine on Lion, but editing them has been a problem in the past.  So you might have to do the Save-As to avoid any corruptions.

The second thing is an extension of the first.  Instead of trying to keep your old installation, instead copy your preferences and weather data into a freshly-downloaded copy of WeatherCat Script folder.  The instructions are included with the latest version and are repeated below:

• Relocate your old version of the folder WeatherCat Scripts to some convenient location like say the Desktop.
  • Copy the current version of the WeatherCat Scripts folder to the location where you normally keep the scripts.
  • Navigate into the WeatherCat Script Library folder of your old and new WeatherCat Scripts folders.
  • Replace the new WeatherCat Script Data Backups and WeatherCat Script Prefs folders in the new WeatherCat Script Library folder with the folders from your old collection.  This will move over the current state of your weather data and your preferences.
  • Now put your old WeatherCat Scripts folder in the trash and empty the trash before attempting to use the new versions of the AppleScripts.

Let me know if either of these two steps puts your machine back on track.

Sorry, it isn't supposed to be this hard!  [banghead]

Cheers, Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 10:34:46 PM »
Hi Edouard
 Just open mine up here the start script and every thing is OK here
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
You're on Lion - right? (Re: WeatherCat Scripts 2012-04-30)
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 12:28:46 AM »
Hi Randall and WeatherCat scripters,  [cat]

Just open mine up here the start script and every thing is OK here

This is your new iMac that is running Lion - correct?

So it isn't simply a Lion/Snow Leopard incompatibility - whatever it is . . . .  ???

Please folks, keep me advised on any other weirdness.

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 01:39:09 AM »
Hi Edouard
 New iMac but I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 I went  to SL from Lion
But I did the up grade from 9 to 9.1 of your scripts
 [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 02:32:23 AM »
Edouard,

This just came out of nowhere. This is the script you sent me earlier, as I haven't updated to the latest yet. These have all been running for six days now.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
How did you do that?? (Re: WeatherCat Scripts 2012-04-30)
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 02:53:33 AM »
Hi Randall and WeatherCat fans,

New iMac but I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 I went  to SL from Lion

Ya' Did!!  [tup]  Cool!!!!  [bounce] How!?!?!  ???

If you managed to tame some newer Mac hardware to run Snow Leopard - you are a real hero to all of us!!  [rock]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
That error is *SO* March! (Re: WeatherCat Scripts 2012-04-30)
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 03:05:58 AM »
Howdy Steve and MacWeather AppleScript fans, . . .

This just came out of nowhere. This is the script you sent me earlier, as I haven't updated to the latest yet. These have all been running for six days now.

;) Why that error is *SO* March 2012 . . . you are completely out of style!  [lol2]

Seriously, your WC Script tools.scpt library file is out of date.  Perhaps your WC Mail tools.scpt as well.  Your WC Web Data Uploader must have just hit Internet upload error that could have been too long and I've added AppleScript tools to keep error messages from going beyond the length of strings that Growl can cope with.  I learned from PWS outage that Growl isn't as bullet-proof when it comes to the error messages you can send to it.  So I have some text processing to avoid blowing up Growl.  stripWhiteSpace is one such function.

You could either just shut everything down and replace all the library files in WeatherCat Scripts/WeatherCat Script Library/WeatherCat Script Libraries or you could take the safe route and instead move your preferences and weather data to a new copy of WeatherCat Scripts using the procedure described earlier in this thread: http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=235.msg2353;topicseen#msg2353.  My recommendation would be to copy your preferences and weather data to a "fresh copy" of the WeatherCat Scripts folder just to make sure you are completely current.

Sorry Steve, you are sufferin' from being a victim of early beta-testing!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 03:39:45 AM »
I thought it might be due to being an earlier release. Just thought it odd that it never happened before, and popped up while I was doing absolutely nothing on the computer. Just sitting here at the desk helping daughter study for a history test, and saw it out of the corner of my eye.

I'll with over to the current stuff tomorrow.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
Re:How did you do that- WeatherCat Scripts *BETA* of 2012-04-30
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 12:41:21 PM »
Hi Edouard
Well I talk to Apple Care to so many they aren't as smart as they should be anyway
 To get it to work you 1st must get a copy of the original  Install disc that came with the iMac before Lion came out
( Snow Leopard Retail won't work Apple said it would so I bought it and it didn't work you need at least 10.6.7 original install disc for it work)
Then do a complete erase and install it with the drivers from the 10.6.7 disc note if your iMac was built after Dec. 2011 forget it won't work any more Apple has change something for now won't work.
So I have a new Snow Leopard Install Disc 10.6.3 just to look at Apple won't take it back since I open it but they said it would work. Dah
 [cheers1]