Author Topic: Dials size  (Read 8719 times)

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
Dials size
« on: April 03, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »
Hi.

I've upgraded my old iMac 21.5 to new 27" and now I'm running WC 2 (thanks Stu!).

But now when WC generates all dials picture ALLDIALS.JPG (from DALLC$ TAG) to send it to my custom web page, the image size is 1716 × 768 and not 858 × 364 so web page lost normal proportions with little text and big dials.
I don't know how to change image size in order to have a "normal" web page aspect as was before upgrade.

Thanks in advance for support and best regards.

Federico
Federico
Perugia, Italy

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Retina display issues? - Stu? (Re: Dials size)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 09:49:14 PM »
Hi Federico and WeatherCat lovers of that "new Mac smell. . . . "

I've upgraded my old iMac 21.5 to new 27" and now I'm running WC 2 (thanks Stu!).

Congratulations . . . .  [tup]

But now when WC generates all dials picture ALLDIALS.JPG (from DALLC$ TAG) to send it to my custom web page, the image size is 1716 × 768 and not 858 × 364 so web page lost normal proportions with little text and big dials.
I don't know how to change image size in order to have a "normal" web page aspect as was before upgrade.

Unfortunately I don't have a clue how to fix it, but I do see another strange symptom.   Your banner is now 1000 by 160 pixels.   Normally banners are 500 by 80 pixels.  I have no idea why your banner would mysteriously double in both dimensions.

Could this be something odd about Retina display Mac?  Anybody else have some experiences with the newer Macs that can offer some thoughts on this problem?

Confused, . . . . Edouard

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
Re: Dials size
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 06:11:45 AM »
Hi Edouard! How are you?

It could be a kind of....... Big Mac effect?  [roll]

All images generated are now double size. It's a iMac 27" 5k if it helps........

I could not wait to have a new Mac and WC 2 but the first result for now is that the images have risen, WC hangs 3-4 times a day and still not be able to send updates to Twitter and Facebook (Sylvester doesn't see Twitter account on System Preferences of El Capitan).
I'll have to read many forum posts backlog in the coming days ......

Thanks for support. ;)

Federico
Federico
Perugia, Italy

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Anybody else running WeatherCat on a 5k display? (Re: Dials size)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 10:13:23 PM »
Hi Federico and WeatherCat believers in "more is better" . . . .

Hi Edouard! How are you?

Well, I"m up to my neck fuel injection teething issues for my trusty wagon and we are about to have a heatwave.  Forecast high for Wednesday is 90˚ F (32˚ C) - For the first week of April?  :o

It could be a kind of....... Big Mac effect?  [roll]

All images generated are now double size. It's a iMac 27" 5k if it helps........

You might need to send an email directly to Stu and ask him if the new Mac high resolution displays could be causing this.  I've noticed that software is reporting itself to be "retina display compatible," but I didn't know what changes were required.  Perhaps WeatherCat isn't retina display compatible.

I could not wait to have a new Mac and WC 2 but the first result for now is that the images have risen, WC hangs 3-4 times a day.

If you can, try to take a sample of WeatherCat when it is in a hung state and email it to Stu.  There are the instructions on how to do that:

https://support.omnigroup.com/sample-osx/

That would help Stu understand if perhaps there is some sort of hardware incompatibly between these new iMacs and WeatherCat.

and still not be able to send updates to Twitter and Facebook (Sylvester doesn't see Twitter account on System Preferences of El Capitan).

Unfortunately this is an Apple OS X bug.  Stu has been keeping us up to date on this problem on this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1803.msg16468#msg16468

Apple has been really sloppy on their connectivity to social media services.  Stu's first attempt to create a companion application for social media was supposed to send information to Facebook and Twitter, but there were bugs in Apple's interface to Facebook, so Stu had to abandon that part of the application.  Now the Twitter portion of the Apple Interface is also broken.  I remember when Stu got started on this project he said he wanted some "easy programming for a change."  Sure hasn't worked out that way . . . .  :(

Please to touch base with Stu, there appears to be something odd about how WeatherCat is interacting with your new iMac.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
Re: Anybody else running WeatherCat on a 5k display? (Re: Dials size)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 08:07:32 AM »
Hi Edouard and all who loves old cars......

You might need to send an email directly to Stu and ask him if the new Mac high resolution displays could be causing this.  I've noticed that software is reporting itself to be "retina display compatible," but I didn't know what changes were required.  Perhaps WeatherCat isn't retina display compatible.

As usual.....
But Retina is a type of display just an output device. SW compatible with Retina perhaps only has a resolution that it can be displayed in  UltraHD. It seems strange that WC generates images with twice the size just because there is a high-resolution monitor in the system. Or is the system that doubles the size of the images to fit its display ....?

If you can, try to take a sample of WeatherCat when it is in a hung state and email it to Stu.  There are the instructions on how to do that:

https://support.omnigroup.com/sample-osx/

That would help Stu understand if perhaps there is some sort of hardware incompatibly between these new iMacs and WeatherCat.

Done

Unfortunately this is an Apple OS X bug.  Stu has been keeping us up to date on this problem on this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1803.msg16468#msg16468

Apple has been really sloppy on their connectivity to social media services.  Stu's first attempt to create a companion application for social media was supposed to send information to Facebook and Twitter, but there were bugs in Apple's interface to Facebook, so Stu had to abandon that part of the application.  Now the Twitter portion of the Apple Interface is also broken.  I remember when Stu got started on this project he said he wanted some "easy programming for a change."  Sure hasn't worked out that way . . . .  :(

I've read the thread and I'm waiting with patience for Apple debug. I was waiting with impatience for WC2 with SocialCat hoping to post weather data just triggering a switch in a panel. I was disappointed when I saw Sylvester in the folder and I realized that it was not possible to set up the account from the system (though it would be enough to do manually ... or not?) I looked for information and found to be incompatible with El Capitan

Please to touch base with Stu, there appears to be something odd about how WeatherCat is interacting with your new iMac.

I definitely will do it! ;)

Thanks (as ever) Edouard for your support and Good Luck for your fuel injection and for Global Warming (here yesterday was 27°C....80.5°F and it's just april 5th.....but we are waiting for worsening weather with thunderstorms and drastic reduction in temperatures in the next days)

Federico  [cheers1]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 05:37:21 PM »
Hello Federico,
I've replied to your email, but I'll copy it here as well.

The hangs are because your Mac is going to sleep. When it wakes, the SiliconLabs driver is not waking up which is causing the hang. Set it so just the display goes to sleep but not the computer.

????????

For the images being double size, it isn?t a problem I?ve seen before, but try creating a new WeatherCat preferences file - if you?ve brought it over from your old Mac, there could be data in the that is causing a problem.

To create a new preferences file:

Quit WeatherCat.

Access your preferences folder by using the Finder's Go->Go To Folder... menu command and enter:
~/Library/Preferences/

Scroll down the list of preferences files until you find the one named:
com.trixology.weathercat.plist

Delete (or rename) this file then reboot the machine and launch WeatherCat.

Note that the reboot after removing the old preferences file is important - without this, the old settings may hang about in memory.

Note that all your preferences will be reset to factory defaults, so make a note of any settings you need to re-enter such as the latitude/longitude etc. before doing this. Also note that it is very important to reboot the machine after removing the existing preferences file. If the settings aren?t set back to factory defaults when you relaunch WeatherCat, then repeat the procedure.

---------

For Sylvester, there is a debug command you can enter at the terminal which may work - open terminal.app and enter the following:

Code: [Select]
defaults write com.apple.accountsd ACOutputLevel 7 && killall -9 accountsd
then launch Sylvester, with any luck it?ll now see your account information.

Apple have a bug for this, but are having trouble fixing the issue.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 07:27:47 PM »
If the problem with the large graphics is still present after replacing the preferences file, try quitting WeatherCat, get info on it in the Finder and look for check-box called 'Open In Low Resolution'. If it's there, tick it then relaunch WeatherCat.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Always something new to debug! (Re: Dials size)
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 11:04:39 PM »
Howdy Federico, Stu, and WeatherCat users whose life is completely run by software!

Thanks (as ever) Edouard for your support and Good Luck for your fuel injection

Believe it or not, the process is literally coming up with the optimal program to keep the engine properly tuned!  I hook up my MacBook to the fuel injection computer, I take a log of how the engine is performing, and I send that info to the fellow who sold me the fuel injection system.  He then adjusts the program that controls the engine and I upload the revised program to the fuel injection computer.  I then run the car for a while, and as needed, take some more logs and the cycle repeats!

I never thought I would be using software to control the engine in a 50 year old car!

. . . . and for Global Warming (here yesterday was 27°C....80.5°F and it's just april 5th.....but we are waiting for worsening weather with thunderstorms and drastic reduction in temperatures in the next days)

The weather doesn't sound pleasant where you are either.  Take it easy Federico!

I've replied to your email, but I'll copy it here as well.

Thanks Stu for coming to the rescue!

At least your Land Rover doesn't ask you to debug the software tuning its engine!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 06:20:54 AM »
For Sylvester, there is a debug command you can enter at the terminal which may work - open terminal.app and enter the following:

Code: [Select]
defaults write com.apple.accountsd ACOutputLevel 7 && killall -9 accountsd
then launch Sylvester, with any luck it�ll now see your account information.

Apple have a bug for this, but are having trouble fixing the issue.

After few attempts with that command line without result....now it works! [cheers1]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 06:27:34 AM »
If the problem with the large graphics is still present after replacing the preferences file, try quitting WeatherCat, get info on it in the Finder and look for check-box called 'Open In Low Resolution'. If it's there, tick it then relaunch WeatherCat.

I have not had time to replace the preferences and tried only to follow your suggest ticking check-box "Open in Low Resolution": now the images are generated with the right size .... (see the banner above)

Thanks Stu !!!

P.S. I am ashamed publicly because WeatherCat hang because the Mac was in sleep mode......  >:(
Federico
Perugia, Italy

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
Re: Always something new to debug! (Re: Dials size)
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 08:04:12 AM »
Howdy Federico, Stu, and WeatherCat users whose life is completely run by software!

I never thought I would be using software to control the engine in a 50 year old car!

I would have expected to find carburetors in a car 50 years ..... and maybe you'd have less trouble if you have a good hear and good screwdriver....  :)

Thanks Stu for coming to the rescue!

TWO SHOTS, TWO BULLSEYES!!!

At least your Land Rover doesn't ask you to debug the software tuning its engine!

......so sure?  [banghead] [banghead] [banghead]

Cheers, Federico  [cheers1]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 11:20:35 AM »
P.S. I am ashamed publicly because WeatherCat hang because the Mac was in sleep mode......  >:(

I know the feeling, I've had a few of those "senior moments" here on the forum and managed to show my backside for all to see. Fortunately (for my own self esteem), the forum members are kind.  ;)

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 02:13:08 PM »
I can say in my defense that the old Mac regularly went into sleep mode ever 15 min of inactivity (not monitor stop but system stop) and WeatherCat (or better SiliconLab driver) continued running in background both communicating with Davis that generating and sending web pages ....or it remained awake for 11 years making me believe that he slept!!!  [sleep]  [biggrin]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 03:30:13 PM »
Not to make too big a point about the banner size problem...

I notice the banner is still showing double-sized as I write this.

I'm wondering what the update time setting you have in the Banner Generator dialog. Your post #8 has a date/time of "Today at 12:20:54 AM". your last post #12 shows "Today at 08:13:08 AM". I see no changes in the reported data in that almost 8 hours time period. Not sure how you might have set more than 2 hours in the Banner dialog. I'm using 5 minutes, myself.

1. Are you, by any chance, uploading/FTPing the banner manually?
2. Are you using something other than WC to do that for you?
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »
Not to make too big a point about the banner size problem...

I notice the banner is still showing double-sized as I write this.

I'm wondering what the update time setting you have in the Banner Generator dialog. Your post #8 has a date/time of "Today at 12:20:54 AM". your last post #12 shows "Today at 08:13:08 AM". I see no changes in the reported data in that almost 8 hours time period. Not sure how you might have set more than 2 hours in the Banner dialog. I'm using 5 minutes, myself.

1. Are you, by any chance, uploading/FTPing the banner manually?
2. Are you using something other than WC to do that for you?

I've checked twice and the banner size both in my "save" folder and in the web site folder is 500x80.
The banner is automatically updated and uploaded by WeatherCat every 5 minutes.
Please, try to delete your browser cash and check it again..... ;)

Federico
Federico
Perugia, Italy