Author Topic: Basic stupid template operations  (Read 13982 times)

wvdkuil

• Strong Breeze
    • DW8113 (D8113)
    • IVLAAMSG47
    • Weatherstation Wilsele/Leuven/Belgium
  • Station Details: VantagePro2+ UV,Solar - Macbook/Mini
Re: Basic stupid template operations
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 05:18:55 PM »
it is a pity that English in the the WiKi itself can not be improved that way, sorry for that.

Wim, your English is very good and far Superior to my Dutch.
Thanks, and also for your and my Dutch I continue to use translation files.
Wim
Support of Leuven-Template&Scripts: https://support.leuven-template.eu/
Support and demo for the PWS_Dashboard (also for WeatherCat)  https://pwsdashboard.com/ 
My PWS at home https://weer.sluispark.be/
And at my daughters house https://www.weerstation-herent.be/

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »
UPDATED: This post refers to a site using a template. My current site is 90% hand-coded. The link below is valid but you won't see anything discussed in my comments there. [rolleyes2]

Thanks, Blicj and Wim
Would either of you check the About page on my site and let me know if I've translated things correctly.
I changed "van" to "from" in most places; it was duplicated in one place (Ken True van van Saratoga-Weather.org). I didn't change it in your name. Particularly, check "Gerard from Doornenburg weather station". I certainly want to have the well deserved Credits correct!

Seems that "from", "with", or even "of" would work in this case. ???

I'd add "van|from" in the English translation list but I wouldn't want "van der Kull" to end up changed! :o

Aside, I'm assuming that "van" is often part of ones family name for the same reason many Anglo-Saxon names include the ancestors trade/skill/work; Cooper, Carpenter, Goldsmith, Farmer, etc. Of course, the 'spelling' (not to mention the hand-writing!) back on Ellis Island leaves a lot to be desires! [lol]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 09:42:15 PM by xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 05:46:59 PM »
Your changes look good to me.

Het ziet er goed uit voor mij.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Zambretti forecast? (Re: Basic stupid template operations)
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 09:35:46 PM »
Dear xairbusdriver, Blick, Randall, Wim, and WeatherCat web spinners,

Guess I should update this thread. I now have a working site, still cleaning up a few minor details, like removing the "Develop" menu. The "globe" under my profile info should take you there. The (current) url is: <mailscamalert/weather2/>

Okay, I'm dashing between my afternoon chores, but I've got to ask: so how have you implemented your Zambretti forecast?  Is this the JavaScript version or have you taken a tilt at my AppleScripts?  I'm rather fearful when you take them on, they are in such bad shape that I'm not sure you'll be able to get to run no matter what.  Most of us who are still using them are only able to because they have been running continuously since OS 10.6!  [rolleyes2]

Oh well, maybe Edouard can whip up a few ASs just for that. Since he's not getting any rain, it's not like he has to keep mowing the grass... [computer] [rockon]

Don't count on it.  My to-do list on my trusty wagon is plenty long and worse still, the grass hasn't given up on growing yet!  Although given how little I'm watering the lawn, it shouldn't take many weeks to stunt that growth.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 10:03:58 PM »
how have you implemented your Zambretti forecast?
All I did was use the template! Whe...n I get a chance, I'll see if I can find the exact PHP script or javascript. Mr. Kull may get you an answer before that, of course! I'm not sure it's worth the screen real estate, anyway. It's not exactly "cutting edge" technology. Did you click the very, very tiny "i" (info) icon? It shows some background on where the ci=oding may have come from.

Is this the JavaScript version or have you taken a tilt at my AppleScripts?
The template does use a lot of javascript, but no editing of it was done by me. I have absolutely no experience with it. It is mainly several dozen folders full of PHP. Many of those replace things or completely output html files. There are several 'settings' files that put values into as many Global variables as you might want. Those then help control what the different PHP Functions do and what gets sent to the viewer. I know just enough PHP to get into all kinds of trouble! [blush] So I didn't really edit any of that, except for some hard-coded text snippets and some spelling changes.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 09:42:58 PM by xairbusdriver »

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 01:41:52 AM »
Mr. Kull may get you an answer before that, of course!

Mr. Kull's name is actually Mr. van der Kuil
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2015, 04:51:19 AM »
My apologies. I actually knew that.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear xairbusdriver,

All I did was use the template!

Okay, I didn't know that that the Zambretti forecast was built into the Leuven-Template.  I found original JavaScript implementation by beteljuice that Mr. van der Kuil refers to in his template and that's what I translated into my AppleScript.  I didn't realize that anyone else would have found this interesting enough to include on a website.  In most places the Zambretti isn't very accurate at all.  However, it was good enough in Northern Europe for the original forecasters to be sold, so I suppose there is an audience in Europe for the JavaScript version.  I suppose that is the reason Mr. van der Kuil included it in his template.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2015, 12:31:56 AM »
the Zambretti isn't very accurate at all
Well, it's more accurate than the infamous hanging rock... at least for "forecasts"!

One can easily hide it, and practically anything else in the template. That's usually as simple as changing a "true" to "false" (although sometimes it's actually the opposite!). Most of the choices are in a single "Settings.php" file. ;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 09:43:15 PM by xairbusdriver »

wvdkuil

• Strong Breeze
    • DW8113 (D8113)
    • IVLAAMSG47
    • Weatherstation Wilsele/Leuven/Belgium
  • Station Details: VantagePro2+ UV,Solar - Macbook/Mini
Dear xairbusdriver,

All I did was use the template!

Okay, I didn't know that that the Zambretti forecast was built into the Leuven-Template.  I found original JavaScript implementation by beteljuice that Mr. van der Kuil refers to in his template and that's what I translated into my AppleScript.  I didn't realize that anyone else would have found this interesting enough to include on a website.  In most places the Zambretti isn't very accurate at all.  However, it was good enough in Northern Europe for the original forecasters to be sold, so I suppose there is an audience in Europe for the JavaScript version.  I suppose that is the reason Mr. van der Kuil included it in his template.

Hello Edouard,
The reason that most of those dozen or so optional scripts are in the Template, is because some weather enthousiast like to have them. 
Just for old times sake in this Zambretti case. Sometimes being on a sailboat on the sea, it was the only working "device" they had.

The next one will be the Sager forecaster as on: http://peo.yliniemi.se/vader/sager/

Just fore the fun of it I need some fully irrelevant programming when it gets boring to be only testing the next Template release for 11 weather programs and 4 regions.

Wim
Support of Leuven-Template&Scripts: https://support.leuven-template.eu/
Support and demo for the PWS_Dashboard (also for WeatherCat)  https://pwsdashboard.com/ 
My PWS at home https://weer.sluispark.be/
And at my daughters house https://www.weerstation-herent.be/

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Could you send me your Sager code? (Re: Zambretti built in.)
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2015, 10:33:47 PM »
Dear Wim and WeatherCat nostalgic weather device lovers,

The reason that most of those dozen or so optional scripts are in the Template, is because some weather enthousiast like to have them.  Just for old times sake in this Zambretti case. Sometimes being on a sailboat on the sea, it was the only working "device" they had.

Oh yes, I understand.  I really like the Zambretti forecaster.  I almost bought one of the modern recreations just to have it.  I just wasn't willing to pay the overseas shipping.  My WC Zambretti Forecaster is still one of my favorites.  I've turned to it many times as a prototype to test something new because it was so simple and "harmless."

The next one will be the Sager forecaster as on: http://peo.yliniemi.se/vader/sager/

Just fore the fun of it I need some fully irrelevant programming when it gets boring to be only testing the next Template release for 11 weather programs and 4 regions.

If you don't mind, when you get some sort of a prototype up and running could you send me the code that actually generates the forecast?  Time is very short right now, but perhaps someday I'll get back to the AppleScripts.  I really hope to sometime rewrite most of this stuff as WeatherCat plug-ins, but I need to get some big projects off my plate first.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2015, 03:32:21 PM »
UPDATED: This post refers to a site using a template. My current site is 90% hand-coded. The link below is valid but you won't see anything discussed in my comments there. [rolleyes2]

There is a CWOP "radar" display in this template (and likely most others) on which I need some user experience feedback. <On my old/closed site>, using the "CWOP" icon in the "You find our weather info also at:" area of the main page, will present a radar map with rain, flood/tornado/severe weather/etc. overlays. This link may not work as it is changed and created by NOAA/CWOP every five(?) minutes. <http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=EW7115&last=12>

My question comes from what appears to be the 'service area' of the radar. On my iMac (and my iPad), this area is displayed (in Safari) as an ellipse rather than a circle.
  • Is that how it appears on your monitor?
  • Is there any way to 'correct' that?
  • Do I need to get busy doing more important things?
Thanks for any constructive criticism. [blush]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Should look that way I suppose. (Re: Basic stupid template operations)
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2015, 10:58:55 PM »
Dear xairbusdriver and WeatherCat web spinners,

There is a CWOP "radar" display in this template (and likely most others) on which I need some user experience feedback.

. . . .

My question comes from what appears to be the 'service area' of the radar. On my iMac (and my iPad), this area is displayed (in Safari) as an ellipse rather than a circle.

. . . .

Is that how it appears on your monitor?

I get exactly the same display on my Mac running Firefox or my iPad.  It may seem odd but perhaps it should be an ellipse.  It may have to do with some sort of odd aspect of that particular Doppler station.  I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over that.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2015, 01:57:24 AM »
Maybe it does have a 'doppler' aspect... the eclipse is actually a circle affected by the spinning of the Earth! Perhaps we could contact the people in charge of that to make a short test with the axis rotated 90?... probably would need to make that change very, very slowly, of course.

In the mean time... [sleep]