Author Topic: Hello from Big Low, Rainow  (Read 3209 times)

toadstone

• Gentle Breeze
    • Big Low Weather, Rainow.
  • Station Details: Station: None Intel i5 Hackintosh 16gb RAM Yosemite
Hello from Big Low, Rainow
« on: April 21, 2013, 07:35:01 PM »
Hello from the western edge of the Peak District National Park. On the Cheshire/Derbyshire border. I've been running a weather station and associated web site for some years now with varying degrees of success using the cheap and cheerful Maplin's WH1080 unit.

Although I've been Mac based for many years I went down the MS route initially using Cumulus and an XP machine which I've rebuilt several times!! After having to re-new the weather station for a similar unit I started having problems with the USB comms between the computer/weather station and the software. I got to the point where I nearly decided to just give up. But things move on and I found out about WeatherSnooper. Sadly my ageing MacBook was of such a configuration that upgrading to Lion/Mountain Lion was out of the question. Even more out of reach was the replacement of such machine. However, I could justify some investment in a new unit. Having built and maintained many IBM type machines over the years and the advent of Apple taking on Intel processors I researched the Hackintosh route.

It was feasible, so my Intel i5 Ivybridge Mac clone was born with 16gb RAM and a SSD running Mountain Lion.  I was still having issues with the comms on the weather station and while WeatherSnooper is a reasonably slick piece of software, there were issues customising it for my existing web site.  Then I discovered WeatherCat. It was time to get my hands dirty upgrading my web site and hey presto it's done. The final version (so far) is now fully supported by weather data derived from WeatherCat data.  The pages are written in Freeway Pro and the fancy javascript, HTML5/CSS stuff is compiled using Tumult's Hype. The only legacy XP data comes from the webcam and yes that will go too  [rockon]

The current site can be found here: http://www.biglow.co.uk/weather/php/

Cheers, Peter.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Hello from Big Low, Rainow
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:47:06 PM »
Warm welcome! (Looks like you need a WARM welcome after crawling through the snowy pictures on your site!  ;D )

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 07:56:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum Peter - very interesting website btw, love the crow picture!

Cheers,
Stu.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome Peter! (Re: Hello from Big Low, Rainow)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 08:18:50 PM »
Welcome Peter!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 01:08:48 AM »
Hi Peter
 And Welcome to WeatherCat hope you enjoy as much as we do
cheers
 [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 02:01:04 AM »
Hi Peter, and welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

jf-i2r

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: vantage pro2 wireless with solar sensor ; weatherlink-ip ;mac mini 1,6ghz 2go ram El Capitan
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 08:05:41 AM »
hi

Welcome Peter!

nice web site

cheers  [cheers1]

toadstone

• Gentle Breeze
    • Big Low Weather, Rainow.
  • Station Details: Station: None Intel i5 Hackintosh 16gb RAM Yosemite
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 12:13:03 PM »
Thanks to you all for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to hopefully contributing something once I've had a really good look around the forum and the software  in more  depth.

[cheers1]

Peter.