Author Topic: Upgrade from WeatherCat2.44 to 3.0 and Saratoga templates  (Read 5016 times)

nowait

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless (Heated) on a Snow Leopard Mac Mini
Upgrade from WeatherCat2.44 to 3.0 and Saratoga templates
« on: March 25, 2018, 03:39:09 AM »
When I'm ready to upgrade to WC 3.x (purchase but have not upgraded yet), will I be able to continue with the same Saratoga templates that I'm currently using?  I'm hoping that I can update to WC 3.0 and leave my Saratoga templates alone (and my website will continue on as usual).  When I have more time, I would then take advantage of the "new" features in WC 3.x.

Thanks!
nowait

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
  • Station Details: Davis VP2
Re: Upgrade from WeatherCat2.44 to 3.0 and Saratoga templates
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 03:47:09 PM »
Hi nowait,

You can upgrade to WC 3 and the Saratoga templates will continue to work, no changes needed.

nowait

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless (Heated) on a Snow Leopard Mac Mini
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 02:21:37 AM »
Thanks for the quick response!  Love this forum.  Everyone helps each other.

nowait

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »
Dave:

Just had a look at your old and new websites. Well done, sir.
Blick

nowait

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 11:03:35 PM »
Your site really looks nice!  I wish I knew more about SQL tables and how to get them setup on Go Daddy.  I tried it a year ago to setup meteotemplate and gave up.  GoDaddy's "helpdesk" was not much help.

nowait

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 01:30:10 AM »
Blick and nowait,

Thank you for the compliments. I've used the Saratoga template for a long time, last year I added Meteotemplate. I like both templates, my daily visitors are split about 50/50 on which one they prefer.

nowait,

I'm not familiar with GoDaddy, my sites are with A2 hosting, setting up the SQL database for Meteotemplate was a simple process. Does GoDaddy use cPanel for managing your web hosting account?

nowait

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 11:37:03 PM »
GoDaddy does use cPanel.  I tried it.  Every time I created the database with a user/password, I could never get logged into the database again....  The godaddy "admin" would delete the database but if I tried to create a database with the same name it would tell me there was already a database by that name.  Same thing happened with each user account I created for the DB.  I would try to login and it would say the user was locked out.  I gave up after a couple hours going round and round with them.  I'm open for any suggestions/solutions/instructions.

Thanks,
nowait

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 12:18:14 AM »
There is obviously a problem with MySQL on the host's end, the database should work as soon as it is created. I suggest you look into moving your website to a different host.

nowait

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 12:15:59 PM »
Agreed. Likely when my hosting comes up for renewal.

nowait

nowait

• Strong Breeze
Re: Upgrade from WeatherCat2.44 to 3.0 questions
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 03:54:54 AM »
Stupid question alert ---- So I'm reading the manual for 3.0 and it talks about the installation being just as simple as dragging the WeatherCat icon onto the Application folder icon to install WeatherCat.

"To upgrade to WeatherCat 3 from WeatherCat 1 or 2, first quit your existing WeatherCat then open the WeatherCat 3 disk image you downloaded from our web-site. Drag the WeatherCat application over the Applications folder in the disk image then run the new WeatherCat (which will be found in your Applications folder). Do not run WeatherCat directly off the disk image.
After installing WeatherCat 3 into your Applications folder, you can delete, or zip up and then delete, your old WeatherCat folder - it is no longer used or required."

At this point: If I start the new WeatherCat 3.0, will it read in all of my settings from the previous version of WeatherCat 2/DavisStation setup and then use my weather cat 2 configuration (and data), start uploading my new/current weather data (and  or do I need to setup WeatherCat 3.0 by entering all the settings by hand...?

I'm unsure about the upgrade as I read the manual.

Thanks,

nowait

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 02:16:25 PM »
The upgrade is that simple, replacing the WeatherCat 2 app with the WeatherCat 3 app in the applications folder. The first time you run WeatherCat 3 it will start just like WeatherCat 2 did, reading your configuration and weather data. It will also open the release notes (one time only) and a prompt to register.

I did make a manual backup of my data (~/Library/WeatherCatData) and config file (~/Library/Preferences/com.trixology.weathercat.plist) in the unlikely event something was to go wrong, but I had no issues at all with the upgrade.

nowait

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 10:44:54 PM »
That's too easy.   I was starting to make screen captures of all of my settings so I could enter them back in as I configured weathercat3.....
Dave to the rescue.  Thanks!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 01:14:03 AM »
I did that... unfortunately, I can't remember what/how I named them! [blush] [rolleyes2] [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

nowait

• Strong Breeze
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 03:26:59 AM »
Up and running with 3.0!
Just as easy as Dave described.  Now I need to read the manual in depth and see what new things WeatherCat 3 can do.

Thanks for all the help!

nowait

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 08:35:56 AM »
Glad it worked out for you so smoothly. How are things now that you?ve had a chance to play with it for a few days?
Blick