Author Topic: Moving WeatherCat to a new computer.  (Read 2839 times)

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 Plus and a Mac Mini M2
Moving WeatherCat to a new computer.
« on: January 08, 2019, 05:22:50 AM »
I have a 2011 Mac Mini connected to a Vantage Pro 2.
My new Mac Mini is on order and when it arrives I will transfer WeatherCat to it.

I have read

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Moving_a_WeatherCat_installation_from_one_computer_to_another

But I wonder if I could outline the actual way I will perform the transfer just to check.

When the new Mac Mini arrives I will take it out of the box 😂 and set it up on my network and check for updates. Do I then need to install the USB drivers the Davies Station needs or will data migration take care of this?

Then I will stop WeatherCat on the old machine and do a backup to a USB hard disk.

Then I will use Migration Assistant to copy all the data to the new machine.

Plug in the USB lead from the station, reboot (for good luck) and all should be perfect.

Yes?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Should be fine - latest driver? (Re: Moving WeatherCat to a new computer.)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 10:53:01 PM »
Dear wx-watch and WeatherCat upgraders,

I have a 2011 Mac Mini connected to a Vantage Pro 2.
My new Mac Mini is on order and when it arrives I will transfer WeatherCat to it.

. . . . .

Then I will use Migration Assistant to copy all the data to the new machine.

Plug in the USB lead from the station, reboot (for good luck) and all should be perfect.

Yes?

In a word  - correct!  The Migration Assistant will do all the work of moving your files over.  The only thing to double-check is if you have the latest drivers for your station.  Even so you could install these now on your old Mac Mini and the new drivers would be moved over by the Migration Assistant.

Let us know how all this turns out!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
Re: Moving WeatherCat to a new computer.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 02:20:29 PM »
The answer is 100% perfectly without a hitch!

https://www.wx-watch.co.uk

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Good to hear! Mac Mini specs? (Re: Moving WeatherCat to a new computer.)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 10:14:07 PM »
Dear wx-watch and WeatherCat users keeping up with the latest Apple hardware,

The answer is 100% perfectly without a hitch!

Congratulations!  Glad to hear it!

When the new Mac Mini arrives I will take it out of the box 😂 . . . .

Can you tell us a bit more about your new Mac Mini?  What CPU setup did you get, and how much memory and drive capacity did you have installed?  Some of us have older computers and might need to look into such a purchase.  Any wisdom you might have would be gladly appreciated!  [tup]

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 02:48:03 PM »
My Mac mini runs headless 24/7 acting as my WeatherCat Server, my VPN Server and my FTP Server.

The original was a second hand 2011 model that did the job well but was sluggish when connected by screen sharing from my Mac. Also it would not update to Mojave as High Sierra was the last version of Mac OS it would support.

Due to its age I decided to preemptively upgrade to a new 2018 model.

The one I chose was a 3 GHz Intel Core i5 with 16 GB or RAM and a 256 GB SSD.

You may say a bit high specced just to run a few servers but I expect it to be in service for a good many years so just "future proofing" :)

It runs like a dream!

If anyone is interested (and didn't know) Mac OS has a built in VPN server and can be activated from the terminal with command line commands. However I used this as it is much easier to configure.

https://cutedgesystems.com/software/VPNEnablerForMojave/

There is a free version for High Sierra

https://cutedgesystems.com

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 09:27:12 PM »
Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about doing this with my setup so I appreciate your information.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for the useful info! (Re: Moving WeatherCat)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 10:35:02 PM »
Dear wx-watch, Blick, and WeatherCat sys-admins,

My Mac mini runs headless 24/7 acting as my WeatherCat Server, my VPN Server and my FTP Server.

. . . .

The one I chose was a 3 GHz Intel Core i5 with 16 GB or RAM and a 256 GB SSD.

. . .

It runs like a dream!

Thanks for the information!  I'm struggling with an aged Mac myself and might have to make this sort of upgrade in the near future.

If anyone is interested (and didn't know) Mac OS has a built in VPN server and can be activated from the terminal with command line commands. However I used this as it is much easier to configure.

https://cutedgesystems.com/software/VPNEnablerForMojave/

I wasn't aware of this!  I'm inclined to keep WeatherCat on my main computer, but this could be useful for other applications.  Thanks for the tip!  [tup]