Author Topic: WeatherCat uploads to WU *WEBCAM*  (Read 5649 times)

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: What isn't buggy? (Re: WeatherCat uploads to WU *WEBCAM*)
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »
I guess my answer to that, Edouard, would be that most well-respected/dependable companies answer complaints in a reasonable timeframe; maintain a section on their website where they let their users know of system problems and when things should be fixed; and certainly don't promulgate the details of a major change via an e-mail to a user with a request that they let people know.

Whoa, wait a minute, did I see some shades of Apple Inc. in what I just wrote there?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Blick

Felix

• Gale
Re: WeatherCat uploads to WU *WEBCAM*
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 06:35:03 PM »
Thanks for the link, Blick.

Ref: "...we'll remove all incoming webcam feeds..."

Does that mean they are only disabling FTP feeds or are WU "pulls" also going bye bye?

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 06:41:15 PM »
Got my email this morning. They may be going alphabetically by the second letter of your first name. It gives their aging, over-worked servers something easy to do.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 07:54:41 PM »
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 09:46:03 PM »
Here is the post that popped up today on the WU app:

WU says goodbye to Webcams
← Webcams
At Weather Underground, our mission has always been to provide ?weather for all? ? for anyone, any location, across any medium, and through any lens. We know it?s an incredible experience to witness colorful sunrises and sunsets, various cloud formations, and other awe-inspiring weather events, which is why we?ve always encouraged you to capture them with your cameras, phones, and webcams.

After 10 years of proudly displaying your webcam footage across our website and apps, we sadly have to remove this functionality as we no longer have the necessary resources to maintain it. On December 15, 2017, we?ll remove the webcam feeds from our website, mobile apps, and within our API ? meaning uploading and accessing webcam footage will no longer be available.

This wasn?t an easy decision for us and while we can no longer host your webcam feeds on our servers, we hope you?ll continue to keep your webcams running and an eye on the sky.

We?ve created this FAQ page to help address any questions you might have.
FAQ

Q: What will happen to my webcam footage between November 15th and December 15th?

Beginning on November 15th, the option to add new webcams to our system will be removed. All existing webcam feeds will remain visible; however, new feeds will not be accepted or displayed.

Q: Can I download my existing webcam footage?

Unfortunately, we do not have download functionality for webcam footage.

Q: What will happen on December 15th?

All webcam features will be removed on December 15, 2017, so you will not be able to connect or share webcam footage across any of our properties after that date.

Q: Will I still be able to see the webcam footage I have uploaded to WU after December 15th?

Unfortunately, no. All webcam footage and feeds will be removed from our website, apps, and API on December 15th.

Q: Are there other places I can share my webcam feed?

While there are other webcam communities that exist, we are not aware of any other services willing to host webcam footage free of charge. We recommend contacting your webcam manufacturer to see if they can provide information regarding alternative hosting solutions and community platforms.

WU has deteriorated since being bought...again.

Next thing you know, we will have to pay them to upload weather station info.

Sigh...again

Alan

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 09:50:28 PM »
I think the word will be getting widespread recognition. There is a link to the FAQ in the email they are sending. I think I will 'help them out' by stopping my feed from WC right now.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Definitely very sad. (Re: WeatherCat uploads to WU *WEBCAM*)
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 12:02:16 AM »
Dear Felix, Blick, X-Air, Weatheraardvark, and WeatherCat faithful,

Thanks for digging up the additional official information.  Definitely a very sad situation where we are all being let down . . . .

Oh well, . . . . Edouard  :(

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »
They cut my webcam feed yesterday, 30 days before their stated service shutdown. 😡
Blick

Felix

• Gale
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 11:13:53 AM »
The word is getting out quickly. On a PWS w/webcam not too far from mine, the owner has taken advantage of the "Status" field on his/her WU page to alert viewers of intent to cut all ties with WU.

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 06:17:48 PM »
The word is getting out quickly. On a PWS w/webcam not too far from mine, the owner has taken advantage of the "Status" field on his/her WU page to alert viewers of intent to cut all ties with WU.

It costs me nothing to send weather data to them.  in fact it is kind of cool being able to go to that page and see past weather, graphs, trends and that my data is out there for anyone to see .  I am going to continue to send them data until that disappears
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »
"is kind of cool" ;) That's the same psychological game that is raising a few eye brows from the founders of the likes of Facebook, Twitter, et all. We are given small 'hits' of dopamine as 'payment' for supplying the data used by companies. They then use our data as a way to make money selling ads (assuming they don't also sell our data).
All I say is; remember we are not these sites "customers", we are their product. [rolleyes2]