Author Topic: USB to serial  (Read 7531 times)

lakedog

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4001, DW4184, D9315
    • KGAGAINE13, KGASAUTE2, KGAGAINE24
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro(Phasing out, failing wind speed), Davis Vantage Pro2
Re: USB to serial
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 05:25:56 PM »
Edouard, thanks.

I am just replying because I was at the location this weekend and trying to install it there.

It appears that I am unstuck and it is working. I am not totally sure what did the trick, but there are a few peculiarities of this system that may have contributed. I downloaded a fresh version of the driver, which had been updated and installed it, rebooted both computer and console while connected. At some point it clicked, but see below.

The peculiarity here is that this MBP is in a weekend/vacation mountain home. We often let friends and family use it and it had been set up with a guest user account for them to use. We had had a problem on the old MBP of it rebooting and WC not starting up. Since no one was there, we were not sure of the cause, or aware of when it happened. On the replacement, I had the Genius Bar try to set up the computer to auto reboot with WC in the startup list in the root. However, the way they set up the user accounts, the guest account was the one that was booted to first. WC was set up to be available to all users, so, while I logged in in my account to install the drivers and had the WC data files, etc., located there, I was unaware that a version of WC had already started connected to the guest account, but had no access to the WC setup preferences, data and support files in my user account, and so I think it did not do a full startup and stalled in initialization. I think that this must have created a conflict as the version in my account tried to access the same input port and console as the stalled WC, so the "data not ready" message came up in my account. I am not an IT expert, so this may be off, but it makes sense.

I eventually installed Lingon and set up a root job that referenced the WC app in MY user directories to start on boot and it seems to work. BTW, I am using a direct mini-USB to USB-C cable with no intervening Apple adapter dongle. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

We will see how well or long this works remotely and unmonitored.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Glad it is working and thanks for the update. (Re: USB to serial)
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 11:17:08 PM »
Dear lakedog and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Thanks for the update and glad things are working now.  I hope it stays that way!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 04:20:38 PM »
lakedog and Edouard:

I have been following this thread (I didn't chime in as I have no experience with that logger) and love it when a WeatherCatter is able to properly sort through a puzzle. Well done.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 01:10:42 AM »
In pursuing an "Unable to verify Local" with a newly installed WeatherCat RCP, I discovered a peculiarity in the System Information on my Mac mini that runs WC. It shows 2 SiLab USB extensions. But the latest version (SiLabUSBDriver64) is not the one that is loaded! I'm still using Mojave macOS 10.14, so that may not matter to the mini, but it may be the cause for the iOS app's problem.

First I am going to attempt to get the OS to permit the "...64" extension recognized. If that fails, I intend to remove both versions, reinstall the latest (64bit?) one and look for the 're-authorization' prompt.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 02:51:17 AM »
Actually, the kext with the "64" is older than the one loaded. SiLab has a much newer kext, "CP210x Macintosh OSX VCP Driver 5.2.2    - October 2, 2019" Trying to install it with the .zip/.dmg/installer.app gets to a point saying 'installed version is 5.0.4, will install version 5.2.2, Warning: CP210X device must be unplugged' What device? Possibly the old driver? I dunno. I've removed both the drivers and manually added the new one. Will Shutdown and cold Start and see if anything werks. [rolleyes2] [banghead]

OK, the 5.2.2 text is "Notorized" but not loaded.
    And it is now removed!

I'm dead in the water. Or as I always dreaded to hear, "You have a ground hold. I'll call you back when we get an estimated clearance time." [banghead] I'll start a new search after I get time tomorrow...

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 10:09:05 PM »
CCC to the rescue! ThU5:-) 24 minutes and WC is back in operation! [cheer] Could not have been easier! Simply booting to the CCC backup proved WC would work and that's all I wanted! [tup]