Author Topic: WeatherLinkIP Setup - Challenges with Safari 10.0.2 & Workaround  (Read 2480 times)

BertL

A tip for anyone else attempting to do an initial install of a Davis WeatherLinkIP, to change from DHCP to a Static IP Address and other changes you may desire from a Mac:

PROBLEM: I successfully found the randomly assigned IP of my new WeatherLinkIP, and the built-in HTML page appeared using the latest macOS 10.12.2 and Safari 10.0.2.  But, changing any of the parameters and selecting save on the interface, resulted in the original default screen returning with no changes being made.

WORKAROUND: Use Chrome to do the same process.  Perhaps Firefox would work as well - I didn't try it.  It appears the built-in Davis HTML page has some incompatibility with the latest level of Safari.  Fortunately, once the changes are made, I won't need to do it again.  ;)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for the info. (Re: WeatherLinkIP Setup)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 11:50:59 PM »
Dear Bert and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Thanks for reporting the problem and the workaround.  It is the sort of information that helps us get other users "unstuck."

It appears the built-in Davis HTML page has some incompatibility with the latest level of Safari.

Well the facts speak for themselves but either way, some development team has egg on their face.  After all HTML has been around since 1991 and there is no reason for Davis to do anything exotic in their configuration pages.

Alas as I often point out . . . . . . in the voice of Jimmy Durante:

Such are da' conditions that prevail . . . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: WeatherLinkIP Setup - Challenges with Safari 10.0.2 & Workaround
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 04:18:42 AM »
Having the same page displayed after making changes in the HTML make be simply the browser reloading the page from the cache, which is normal behavior for most browsers. You can check what your cache size is in the various prefs of some browsers. In Safari, it helps to have the Debug menu enabled.

I doubt that Davis' HTML is more advanced that 4.01, which is still supported in html5, anyway. It may even be some version of XHTML. [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system