Author Topic: Anemometer problem  (Read 2613 times)

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Anemometer problem
« on: December 30, 2016, 02:03:03 PM »
Woke up this morning to find the anemometer on my VP2 has been showing a constant 360? for the past 10 hours or so. However, wind speed looks to be accurate based upon visual cues and vicinity stations. Got my binoculars out and can clearly see the wind vane is moving (and the cups are rotating).

So when it warms up a little this morning, I'll head out to see if there's any corrosion in the Wind connection on the wireless transmitter unit. WC reports 100% station comms, all Green on the transmitter battery and 4.75VDC on the console.

If that's not the problem, I'm not going to be a happy camper because this will be the second anemometer failure in ~ 8 or 9 years on this station. And of course, the other failure, four years ago, was also in the winter (reed switch failure).

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Anemometer problem
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 03:48:06 PM »
"The higher/farther/more difficult something is to reach, the sooner/more often it will need repair/replacement."
Farmer's Almanac/Weather Instrument Department.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Re: Anemometer problem
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 04:12:03 PM »
sometimes it is a broken wire. I believe the yellow one can get pinched by whatever is keeping the cable from flopping around in the wind.  Now where that is, I guess  it will be a detective game to see where the pinch is.

You can also check that the wind direction unit is tight on the pot.  it could be spinning but just tight enough not to fall off but loose enough to spin
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Did you splice any cables? (Re: Anemometer problem)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 12:19:16 AM »
Dear Felix, X-Air, Weatheraardvark, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

If that's not the problem, I'm not going to be a happy camper because this will be the second anemometer failure in ~ 8 or 9 years on this station. And of course, the other failure, four years ago, was also in the winter (reed switch failure).

Bummer dude!  Alas it sounds like the weather is rather harsh in your neck of the woods and that is hard on the equipment.

One other troubleshooting suggestion.  Did you replace the entire cable or did you splice anything?  Obviously any splices should be checked.

Best of luck getting your station 100% back on line.  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard