Author Topic: iOS Client Feature Requests  (Read 28114 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: iOS Client Feature Requests
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 05:26:16 AM »
I'd love to see min/max markers on the dial (round) data options. The bar graphs have markers, but there are none on the dial type gauges.

Love this suggestion Rick and I second the motion.
Blick

boracay

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW6305
    • IMALAY2
  • Station Details: boracay island, philippines
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 07:01:46 AM »
gauges on iphone version.

ipad version has, iPhone version has not.
thank you

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 09:39:28 PM »
I'd love to see min/max markers on the dial (round) data options. The bar graphs have markers, but there are none on the dial type gauges.

This feature is in the 1.1 update released on October 1.

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Soil Temp/Moisture
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2015, 04:47:42 AM »
I would love to be able to see my soil temp/moisture numbers in the app.

Nice work, and thanks.
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2015, 07:12:51 AM »
dfw_pilot:

Welcome to the Forum!
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Thanks
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2015, 08:28:55 PM »
Thanks, glad to be a part.
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Re: Soil Temp/Moisture
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2015, 11:45:32 PM »
I would love to be able to see my soil temp/moisture numbers in the app.

Nice work, and thanks.
Soil temperature and moisture are not currently provided by the WeatherCat desktop software (the server). If the 3.0 release of the WeatherCat desktop software adds these measurements (nudge, nudge, wink, wink), I'll update the client software accordingly.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2015, 02:53:06 AM »
Soil Temp is currently available as STAT$ST1:CURRENT$ where 1 is the soil temp sensor #1 through 4
Soil Moisture is currently available as STAT$SM1:CURRENT$ where 1 is the moisture sensor #1 through 4
Leaf Wetness uses the tag LW1 through LW4

Examples of the above, and graphs can be found on the soil tab of my web site.
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2015, 07:28:54 PM »
Soil Temp is currently available as STAT$ST1:CURRENT$ where 1 is the soil temp sensor #1 through 4
Soil Moisture is currently available as STAT$SM1:CURRENT$ where 1 is the moisture sensor #1 through 4
Leaf Wetness uses the tag LW1 through LW4

Examples of the above, and graphs can be found on the soil tab of my web site.
Steve
Unfortunately, these tags are not available to clients.

The WeatherCat desktop software treats clients and web sites differently. The iOS and tvOS clients poll the WeatherCat server and receive a binary packet of weather data in response. Web sites are passive and receive uploads of textual weather data, with tags, from the WeatherCat desktop software.

Clients poll whereas web sites are passive and receive their data when the desktop software initiates it.
Clients only require "Enable WeatherCat Server" to be checked in the desktop software preferences.
Web sites require more complex configuration in the desktop software and, of course, a web site.

At least that's the way I, The Grand Poohbah, humbly understand it.  :-\

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2015, 08:47:32 PM »
<snip>

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize how you grabbed the data. Maybe V3, then. ;)
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
A case of changing community interest. (Re: iOS Client Feature Requests)
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2015, 11:10:40 PM »
Dear Grand, Steve, and WeatherCat "feature junkies," . . . .   [biggrin]

This is a case where a feature of WeatherCat sat around mostly unused for years and then suddenly became popular.  The feature is the server/client facility that drives the little WeatherCatClient Mac OS app that is bundled with WeatherCat.  For many years only Stu's own software was using this facility and only a few users took advantage of it.  You needed a household with multiple Macs and people in the house actually interested in current conditions.  Even in our house, WeatherCatClient is only used by 50% of the potential "customers."  Other those conditions, Stu had little incentive to expand on the WeatherCat server/client system behind WeatherCatClient.

Enter the family of iOS apps created by Grand, and almost overnight, the potential user community increased dramatically.  Driven by these apps, there is an explosion in interest and desired functionality.  Fortunately, this change of community interest hasn't gone unnoticed by Stu.  So as they say in TV lingo . . . . . stay tuned!! . . 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2015, 12:12:02 AM »
Edouard, you are certainly showing your age!!! How many can remember actually having a TV with "tuning" capabilities?! [lol] Reminds me of my 18 yo Granddaughter being amazed  that Zip Codes had not always been around! :o
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2015, 01:27:04 AM »
How many can remember actually having a TV with "tuning" capabilities?!
::raises hand:: Oh, Oh,!! Me, Me! :)

My grandfather had a round screen TV that you tuned between stations like tuning a radio, as in turning the rheostat to move between stations, not turning between channels. We didn't even have a TV back then (mid-late '50s), and went to his house to watch. I forget when we got our first TV, but I remember going to a friend of my Dad's to watch Cinderella in color on TV in 1965! (Wow, was I in lust with Lesley Ann Warren...)

Then there were the TVs that you could change channel by jingling your keys.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Remember TV before color? (Was: iOS Client Feature Requests)
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2015, 11:50:09 PM »
Dear X-Air, Steve, and WeatherCat "well-seasoned" human beings, . . .

Edouard, you are certainly showing your age!!! How many can remember actually having a TV with "tuning" capabilities?! [lol]

I was too young to remember the TVs before a rotary tuning dial but our first TV after returning in 1968 from an overseas assignment was a used black and white TV with a rotary tuning dial.  It wasn't long before we upgraded to a color TV.  I think we had the color TV for the first landing on the Moon - those Moon pictures where so much better in color! . . . .  [rolleyes2]

So how many people remember the Apollo 11 landings personally?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
Re: Remember TV before color? (Was: iOS Client Feature Requests)
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2015, 12:51:04 AM »
So how many people remember the Apollo 11 landings personally?

Continuing with de-railing GPB's thread, but that was only 46 years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday. I also vividly remember the Mercury Seven introduction in 1959, Glenn's flight, the many pre-Mercury test flights, etc. School would be interrupted, or television shows to show hours of pre-launch and post. By the end of the shuttle missions, you were lucky to find even a few seconds of the launch on TV. Space, and reading science fiction, was my life s a kid, and I fully expected to have already been there by now...
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA