Author Topic: FYI: Pew Research Center report on the future of Privacy.  (Read 2589 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
FYI: Pew Research Center report on the future of Privacy.
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:34:44 PM »
Dear WeatherCat "Netizens," . . . .

The Pew Research Center is out with another report this time on the future of Internet Privacy:

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/12/18/future-of-privacy/

In this report they asked thousands of experts from various perspectives, from academics, to Internet consultants, to Internet business leaders for their views on what Internet privacy will look like in 2025.  There are lots of interesting ideas, but overall message is pessimistic.  Most see the public have already surrendering too much privacy for the sake of convenience and free services.

Definitely worth some sober pondering . . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: FYI: Pew Research Center report on the future of Privacy.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 03:50:42 PM »
I used to not care about these issues too much. My attitude was, "I have nothing to hide and I am willing to give up a little privacy for the sake of security." However, with all the hacking and data breaches and having had my credit card included in the Home Depot hack, I am becoming much more interested in privacy issues.

Seth Rogan is not humourous to me and I would not pay to see the movie, but this hack at Sony followed by their threats is just not right. Forcing your value system onto someone else has sad precedence all down through history. I have no problem engaging in a discussion with someone else about their values and beliefs; that is how I learn new things. But every person has to have agency in order to choose for themselves. Dictatorships have not been happy experiences for anyone (other than perhaps the dictator).
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: FYI: Pew Research Center report on the future of Privacy.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 05:35:27 AM »
I say we bomb 'em with care packages containing food and old Walt Disney movies! That'll show 'em.
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Troubling parallels (Re: FYI: Pew report on the future of Privacy.)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 11:21:58 PM »
Dear Blick, Herb, and WeatherCat world observers,

Seth Rogan is not humourous to me and I would not pay to see the movie, but this hack at Sony followed by their threats is just not right. Forcing your value system onto someone else has sad precedence all down through history. I have no problem engaging in a discussion with someone else about their values and beliefs; that is how I learn new things. But every person has to have agency in order to choose for themselves. Dictatorships have not been happy experiences for anyone (other than perhaps the dictator).

Your point is well taken, but unfortunately, we do have dictators on planet Earth and they are as they always have been.  Worse still, the fine art of diplomacy not been in such a sorry state since probably the dark ages.  The machinery to keep countries from ruffling each other's feathers isn't doing the job.

I see troubling parallels to the circumstances that led to the start of World War I.  Could we be as stupid as to not have to learn those lessons and thus have to repeat them?

We are truly facing times that test men's souls . ...

Edouard