Author Topic: WeatherCat Version 3.0.3 Now Available  (Read 22222 times)

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: WeatherCat Version 3.0.3 Now Available
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 01:37:56 AM »
Thanks to Edouard for the heavy lifting. I think this is about the cheapst you?ll find the 6555 but by the time you add in the ridiculous S&H, I suspect you can do better with a good internet search.

https://www.provantage.com/davis-instruments-6555~7DAVS05J.htm

The only thing you?ll need out of the box will be the logger, running the software requires Windows. Plug in to the console and the other end into your router or router extender via as long of a cable as required as long as it has a free Ethernet port. Or an Ethernet hub as Edouard mentioned.

Once ordered, we?ll go over configuring WC properly (or you can read the manual or the WC Wiki). And why you?ll need an IP scanner (the free LanScan works just fine) to eliminate any guessing about identifying the station?s address which WC will need.

Since you?re already familiar with WC, you know what your upload options are.

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 08:39:10 PM »
I would buy the Meteobridge Nano instead of the WiFi unit mentioned earlier in the thread. My 0.02?.
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for the reminder. (Re: WeatherCat Version 3.0.3)
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 10:30:03 PM »
Dear DFW and WeatherCat gadget cataloguers

I would buy the Meteobridge Nano instead of the WiFi unit mentioned earlier in the thread. My 0.02?.

Thanks for the reminder!  [tup] I just plain forgot about that option.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S.  So did you decide to buy one and try it out?  I always prefer to know that a product works with WeatherCat before recommending it to any other WeatherCat user.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 09:40:32 PM »
We have a wiki article that compares the Davis USB with the Davis IP data loggers:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=A_comparison_of_the_Davis_USB_and_IP_data_loggers_for_the_Vantage-2/Vue_line_of_weather_stations

Having invested in the IP data logger I would never go back to something that required a driver. The IP logger can also by plugged into an Apple Express (or Airport) if that is handier than an ethernet outlet.
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 06:15:37 PM »
I view WeatherCat as a server style program, ie, that should rarely be shutdown and upgraded only when something breaks. In that vein, how do I turn off this annoying update banner (besides updating)? Maybe I'm missing something simple, but the idea that this should pop up every few hours/days is insane.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 06:29:14 PM »
I still have the Beta version running and I don't think that reminder was in that version, of course. That option (revert to the Beta) should still be available. Of course, there is always the option of 'writing up the problem and letting maintenance fix it'. ;) Just be sure to make the writeup clear and precise. Bold and Italics often help. :P  [lol]
P: Something loose in cockpit.
S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 06:34:50 PM »
P: Aircraft acting up again.
S: Aircraft told to shape up.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2018, 08:54:00 PM »
DFW:

I got rid of the banner by updating. The newest release is stable and working great for me.
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 08:56:25 PM »
DFW:

I got rid of the banner by updating. The newest release is stable and working great for me.

I understand that upgrading will remove the banner. Can you see how a banner that doesn't go away is a poor design? Just have a look back through all the previous releases that have problems to see why I wait so long. Thanks.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2018, 09:21:06 PM »
I understand that upgrading will remove the banner.
While not a "banner", I blame Apple and their "cleverly" worded "Updates available" Notifications for 'leading the way' to too many chances to mistakenly update something. Many apps have a setting for checking for an update "Once a week", which seems satisfactory to me. I also wonder if Apple's tightening security is making this harder for Devs.

And then there is the all-day, every-day, red dot on System Prefs telling me to enable two-factor authentication. Did that once. Fooled me once. Never again. I'm not running a business, this is my home, if the thief takes my hardware, not even 2FA will prevent losing my recipes and family pictures. [rolleyes2]

On my iPhone, I click "Not now" to the update offer. Then up pops the License agreement! WHY?! Finally I click "Disagree" and that seems to get the message cross. [banghead]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2018, 09:28:49 PM »
Should have made it clear I was being sarcastic, although truthful.
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 12:00:37 AM »
Old topic with a fix.

To get rid of the annoying popup about updating, go to: Preferences -> Units/Misc1 -> And ensure that "Check for Updates is not ticked.

Whew!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2019, 03:16:45 AM »
Good job, digging through stuff to find this. Thankfully, this bug went away in the next release.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2019, 03:37:40 PM »
Preferences -> Units/Misc1
Unfortunately, that menu path is missing in the OS... [banghead]