Author Topic: Any good Windows weather programs?  (Read 6045 times)

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
Any good Windows weather programs?
« on: September 12, 2016, 04:07:53 AM »
I am pondering dumping Mac and migrating to Windows.  But I am not too impressed with any of the Windows weather programs out there- nothing is even close to the Cat! Not impressed with WeatherLink when I used it almost 10 years ago AND I doubt Davis has improved on it.  And when my Vantage Pro passes away I might not buy Davis again as the Vantage line has seen no hardware updates for over a decade.  Downloaded the Mac version of Weather Display but it is seems to be a patch work of everything and just is not very impressive- perhaps because it is just ported to the Mac OS and not a native app?

Any ideas?

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Re: Any good Windows weather programs?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 04:40:10 AM »
Oh hell yes, WeatherDisplay is probably the most comprehensive and well tended weather program out there on the PC side.  They maintain a board that is dedicated to those who buy the program. Brian is quick to revise and add what we want to be used.   It is the closest to Weathercat that you are going to come to .
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 01:36:39 PM »
I used Weather Display in a Windows virtual machine using Parallels for six years before dumping Windows and moving to WeatherCat. I also tried Weather Display for Mac for a few months.

Although Weather Display has far more features than WeatherCat, there is no way I would want to go back to it. WC is far more stable and it's great not have Windows in my life anymore.

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »
Let me put my comments to bed by stating:
  the person is heading to the PC environment.  There are a heck of a lot more programs on that side of the fence than on ours.  Weatherdisplay is the better of them all. Weatherlink is old and stinks.

On the MAC side, Weathercat is the best.   I has a lot of options.

IF I were to either go BootCamp or to a PC environment, I'd choose Weather Display and Weather Cat.

Weatherdisplay is for the more technical minded who want a lot of information. Brian Hamilton will rewrite his program if you need something different and responds PDQ.

I am in iMac Hell.   I have tried a lot of different options, and Weathercat is the only one that seems to like me and my system.

Weather Display for Mac, is lacking and needs a lot of work.  Perhaps when MACOSX comes out  it might work better or not.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 04:02:15 PM »
Perhaps when MACOSX comes out  it might work better or not.
I assume you mean when a version of Weather Display comes out for a new version of "MACOSX"? I have no idea when/if the maker of that app updates the app. However, there will never be a new "MACOSX" Apple has dropped the "MAC/Mac" part of the name. It will simply be "OS X", just like there is no "iPhone/Pad OS", just "iOS".

Good luck with any method os using Windows. I suspect which app to use to connect to my PWS will be the least of my worries. ;)

What looks like a url to your site is still being displayed (in Safari, anyway) at the end of your "...IMAC /El Capitan" text under your avatar. I suspect it is the un-needed semi-colon after the word "Capitan"? I think most put that kind of info/text in the "Signature" area which shows up under each post you make. A full URL is usually too long to fit in the narrow 'personal info' column.

Edited to further explain my expected trouble should I start using Windows.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 04:46:36 PM »
You are almost correct, Xair. The new operating system is called macOS Sierra; they are dropping the OS X name.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 05:08:04 PM »
A question was asked, and answered.  You seem to get your high and mighty self into a tizzy about anything.

I don't have to post here, I don't have to help anyone.  I have been civil to all . You on the other hand, are rude and inconsiderate.  Consequently. I am not going to help anyone. Screw you.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 07:22:41 PM »
I stand (and sit, at my age!) corrected, Blick!

BTW, ardvark, your stuff looks fine on my iPhone! Maybe it's just on Safari (desktop). OTOH, I was thinking you had a banner, earlier. I think you're just playing with my mind(or what's left of it)! [blush] [lol]

And now the banner is back! [cheer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 07:56:57 PM »
I'm not sure how appropriate this thread is on the WC forum?

But, one vote here for Cumulus, it isn't as comprehensive as WD but supports a different philosophy. I use it to put the data in database, then I can extract all the stats I want that may be missing from the base application.

The new version - MX - is a server/client based app, you use a browser as the admin interface. It is also cross platform, the same executable runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac under Mono. I run my copy on a Raspberry Pi.

Very different from WD and WeatherCat and isn't for everyone, but worth considering.
Mark

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 08:20:58 PM »
... one vote here for Cumulus...

...but worth considering....

[tup]

When looking at your website it seems that Cumulus does a really good job. If I ever will go away from Mac OS I will use Cumulus.
Reinhard

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 11:29:58 PM »
I received a reply from Davis Instruments on the question of are they ever going to upgrade their mac version:

Davis Instruments Weather We know the Mac software is a pain point, and we're sorry for the issues you've faced with it. We are in the process of assessing the software to better accommodate the wants and needs of our customers.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 11:44:23 PM »
Thanks for posting the Davis response. Sounds like no one should get excited about a revised WeatherLink for Mac anytime soon.
Blick

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 03:23:14 AM »
I'm not sure how appropriate this thread is on the WC forum?

But, one vote here for Cumulus, it isn't as comprehensive as WD but supports a different philosophy. I use it to put the data in database, then I can extract all the stats I want that may be missing from the base application.

The new version - MX - is a server/client based app, you use a browser as the admin interface. It is also cross platform, the same executable runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac under Mono. I run my copy on a Raspberry Pi.

Very different from WD and WeatherCat and isn't for everyone, but worth considering.

Stu or mods, please remove if post is inappropriate.  I thought it was appropriate given the category title.  A few of you I have known since the WeatherTracker, then LWC days.  Tremendous amount of respect for you as well as the newer WeatherCat users.  Reason why I am posting here.  Likely will post in a few non-software specific forums if I make the decision to jump.  Pretty much WeatherCat is the only thing holding me back.  Great software Stu  [tup]

Brian Hamilton will rewrite his program if you need something different and responds PDQ.

That is one of my main concerns:  program tries to do all and in the end lacks overall solidity

Weather Display for Mac, is lacking and needs a lot of work.  Perhaps when MACOSX comes out  it might work better or not.

That verifies what I am thinking:  do not judge the Windows version by the Mac version.  But see above concern.

... one vote here for Cumulus...

...but worth considering....

[tup]

When looking at your website it seems that Cumulus does a really good job. If I ever will go away from Mac OS I will use Cumulus.

Cumulus sounds interesting....

I received a reply from Davis Instruments on the question of are they ever going to upgrade their mac version:

Davis Instruments Weather We know the Mac software is a pain point, and we're sorry for the issues you've faced with it. We are in the process of assessing the software to better accommodate the wants and needs of our customers.

Unfortunately this is exactly the canned response I would expect from Davis- both hardware and software.

Well my Mac is off of life support for the moment after reinstalling the OS.  Moral of that experience, do not do automatic OS updates; only go there if you have a specific problem the update fixes. 

Windows will wait for another day [rainyluck]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 09:34:16 PM »
Stu or mods, please remove if post is inappropriate.  I thought it was appropriate given the category title. 

No probs.

pongajim

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 05:45:47 AM »

I have asked Davis that same question for probably 8 years and the answer is always exactly the same. I even offered to be a beta tester. To that letter the CEO answered he is keeping my letter on his desk as a reminder; that was 3 years ago.