Author Topic: Record rainfall in Texas  (Read 4233 times)

awilltx

Record rainfall in Texas
« on: November 27, 2015, 03:10:46 PM »
Just after midnight, we set a new record for annual rain here in North Texas.

Not only that, it's still raining and will continue through Sunday morning. With another month to go, I'd say this record is going to stand for a long while.

A soggy yours,

Alan

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Record rainfall in Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 04:14:56 PM »
Weather records are exciting, unless someone gets hurt. Thanks for sharing.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 05:31:34 PM »
Up here in N. Arkansas, We're a little over 54.6 inches for the year. We have only gotten 0.1 inches out of this event, so far.

Texas has been getting more than usual this year, for sure. It is probably associated with the stronger than usual El Ni?o, but I wonder sometimes if a global warming might mean a stronger gradient between tropical and polar temperatures causing greater oscillation in the jet stream with more frequent and stronger frontal activity than in previous years.

In other words, more this  [thermo] leading to more this.  [thunder]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
It's impolite not to share . . . . (Re: Record rainfall in Texas)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 10:00:29 PM »
Dear Alan, Herb, and WeatherCat rain gauge runneth over types . . . .

;) . . . You know it is extremely impolite not to share all that wet stuff! . . . .  [rain2]

Around here it is still looking like . . . .

It is sufficiently bad that the local office of the National Weather Service made a point to mention in the discussion that El Ni?o normally doesn't effect our weather until January.  I don't know if I should be hopeful or terrorized!

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 11:29:51 PM »
Hope you don't have a lot of loose desert sitting higher in the gravity well than you are.

I'll share my wet stuff. If you'll just build a cistern, you can come empty it any time you get ready.

Any style will do:

You know, come to think of it, if you're going to build one, it might prove more convenient to build it next to your house.

Like this:

[cheers1]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 11:38:02 PM »
Utah passed a law a few years ago that says that all water belongs to the state unless you have proof of purchase for water rights. What this means is that the water that falls out of the sky belongs to the state and cannot be collected in barrels, cisterns, old pop bottles, etc. Some people have been prosecuted for stealing water and it holds up in court. Therefore, no cisterns here. At least none holding any water.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 05:32:43 AM »
Thanks Blick! I didn't know that. Seems like a pretty strange law. Perhaps even a bit unconstitutional? Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Hard to be happy or remain alive without water. ? There must be some important justification for it. ? Ay?

[coffee]
Herb

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 10:10:07 PM »
Utah passed a law a few years ago that says that all water belongs to the state unless you have proof of purchase for water rights.

Yikes! is that for real? Shocking for sure. What next? Charge us for the air we breathe in the "fine" state of Utah.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 10:40:19 PM »
I'd love to hear the "reasoning" behind such a law. Sounds like nothing more than a land water grab for taxation purposes! In our location, the city gets a minimum payment (per meter connection) whether you actually use any water or not. I also have a ~250 gal plastic/aluminum frame liquid shipping container collecting water from a couple of downspouts. That water is used in the <900 gal fish pond/water garden (visible on my weather site webcam). Saves paying form 'city' water and completely avoids the chlorine problems. In Utah, I'd get a fine for stealing water and wasting it on fish and plants! Of course, we do get a bit more rain around here than probably any place in Utah... And most of our lakes can not used to produce salt!

OTOH, if your property is damaged by rain water (flood, rain caused land slide, etc.), can you sue the State? It's their water, after all. They should be liable in any lack of control of it! [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Another round of "water wars." (Was: Record rainfall in Texas)
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 10:48:35 PM »
Dear Blick, Herb, Michael, X-Air, and WeatherCat drought watchers,

Utah passed a law a few years ago that says that all water belongs to the state unless you have proof of purchase for water rights.
. . . .

I suspect that this was actually some sort of attempt to reign in disputed water rights claims with respect to for example how groundwater is replenished.  In California there was a lot of complaining about institutions with preexisting water rights.  For example the Hearst family has an estate in northern California with the rights of all the water from a substantial stream.  This was pointed to as an example of the rich wasting water while the rest of the state struggled with shortages.

Honestly, it sounds like a silly law at the level of homeowners.  Perhaps some Utah legislator will realize the political advantages to permitting residences to collect precipitation for home use (perhaps with a limit on the size of collection containers.)  Considering how "patriotic" is has become to use water wisely, it sounds like a bill that would translate into votes next election.

It is a very sad state of affairs no matter how you look at it . . . . .  :(

Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 11:33:31 PM »
The Utah legislature is heavily influenced by real estate developers. Don't exactly know what their angle on the water rights legislation is. But last summer, in southern Utah, where the drought is awful, they suspended water rights that were purchased after a certain date. In other words, when water ran low, the more recently obtained water rights were worthless. I can't remember the cutoff date, but it was back in the 1930s or 40s. Any rights that originated after the cutoff date were ignored until we got some additional water from the sky.

Meanwhile, its been snowing at our place and we're into our 4th day of below freezing daily high temperatures.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 01:05:51 AM »
its been snowing at our place and we're into our 4th day of below freezing daily high temperatures
Does that "water law" cover all physical states of the chemical? I know that storing snow is much less efficient than its liquid state, however... [rockon]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 01:34:24 AM »
Utah passed a law a few years ago that says that all water belongs to the state unless you have proof of purchase for water rights. What this means is that the water that falls out of the sky belongs to the state and cannot be collected in barrels, cisterns, old pop bottles, etc. Some people have been prosecuted for stealing water and it holds up in court. Therefore, no cisterns here. At least none holding any water.

Same here in Colorado except the water does not belong to the state but water right holders.  Being I have a augmented well with purchased water rights, I can capture the water that falls on my roof and reappropriate  it how I see fit.  I just wonder how the law perceives snow fall?  It it snows 2 feet, you drive off with the snow on your car roof, it melts somewhere else, have you stolen the water  [roll]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 02:10:16 AM »
It it snows 2 feet, you drive off with the snow on your car roof, it melts somewhere else, have you stolen the water

Exactly! You nailed it. They don't prosecute for stealing snow; just rainfall. I also have water rights associated with my real property, and they explicitly state that my rights are for culinary water only, which means I can't water plants and trees, or technically speaking, wash my car. I am a law-abiding person, but I have been known to wash my car a few times a year. I also may or may not have a drip line irrigation system for a dozen Colorado Blue Spruce trees we planted four years ago. They won't need to be manually watered forever, but I may or may not plan to go another summer or two, just to make sure they get good start, assuming I have a drip line to begin with, which may or may not be true.
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 11:10:04 AM »
Srsly? America is a strange place  :)

Meanwhile, its been snowing at our place and we're into our 4th day of below freezing daily high temperatures.
Says the man who doesn't have the current temperature in his banner...