Author Topic: Davis Instruments has a redesigned website.  (Read 2585 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Davis Instruments has a redesigned website.
« on: June 12, 2016, 10:28:01 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Davis fans,

I guess these days, companies have to constantly revamp their website.  The Davis Instruments website has just gotten a makeover:

http://www.davisnet.com/

I'll be honest, I don't like it.  Of course there is the "usual reason."  I was used to the old site so now I need to learn where everything is once more.  But there is the other "usual reason."  The new site clearly brings the hype and ballyhoo up another notch and does a lot of blowing Davis's own horn.  I suppose it is nothing more than keeping up with the world wide web "Jones," but why can't a company sell excellent products and get all the respect they need because they do what they do - well?

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Re: Davis Instruments has a redesigned website.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 12:05:30 AM »
the sad part of it, it is not well constructed.  Unless you know what to look for , maneuvering it is odd.

then the tear jerker.. nothing new, revised, new stuff new software, updated anything. They do give third party software resources
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 09:39:10 AM »
On the other hand, it is the first time Davis has seriously revamped their website this century, so at least they have figured out that the Internet has now been invented and is widely available. Maybe one of these days they will figure out that their OS X interface could use a little love.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 07:13:06 PM »
Well spoken, Blick!

:)
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 09:46:50 PM »
I guess I haven't visited their site that much since last year's research, so I didn't have much 'muscle-memory' developed.

First impressions are not bad. At least it's responsive! I'm sure they paid to have the new site developed. Although with 16 separate stylesheets (and they still had to include more css in the header!) and 15 separate javascript files means they may have used a template... Class names like "menu-item menu-item-type-custom", "menu-item-object-custom", "menu-item-5742" all in one unordered list item already with an id of "menu-item-5742" are not exactly indicative of a human designed site! [lol]

On the other hand, there are at least three ways on the home page to get to the same place. The site is mainly about their three product lines: Weather Monitoring, Vehicle Monitoring, and Marine & Outdoor Recreation.

On the plus side, I did find a direct answer to a question posted here a few days ago.
FAQ:<How Many Integrated Sensor Suites (ISS) Can I ?Listen? To With My Vantage Vue Or Vantage Pro2 Console?>

At least it looks like it was not 'built' by third-graders!  [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 05:07:41 AM »
FAQ:<How Many Integrated Sensor Suites (ISS) Can I ?Listen? To With My Vantage Vue Or Vantage Pro2 Console?>

You really know how to keep a turkey in suspense. Err? What is the answer?
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 01:52:46 PM »
Some people would be upset if they got hung with a new rope! [banghead]

Dear Interweb newcomers and certain senior citizens in rural Arkansas:

When you see colored text, that is also often underlined, and that causes you cursor to change shape when you put it over said text, chances are extremely high (95% or higher [citation needed]) that it is what is called a "link". This term is used because there is a interweb-enabled "link" between that described text and another web site. That 'link' can also be another page on the current site or specific place on the current page.

While it is somewhat entertaining to simply watch ones cursor change shape, the ultimate point (no pun intended, of course) is to actually press the one of the buttons on ones mouse (normally the right one [you will see different results if you press the wrong one]) while the cursor is in the 'changed shape'. This creates a strong multi-plinatory flux impulse [explanation available for a small fee, credit card only] that travels through the interweb pipes [see definition of the interweb by Gore, er all] and your browser window will usually display the contents of a new web page/site/location.

Unfortunately, the new location may require 'following' additional 'links' which will create a need to do more cursor moving and mouse button pressing. However, this is a fault of the new site's construction, not the creator of the 'link'. In the 'link' discussed in this particular case, the 'link' in my reply takes one to the "FAQ" section/page of the new Davis site, the first item on the page contains the exact text that was used to create the 'link' on this forum. The author assumed that this peculiar duplicity would be obvious to the viewer. Alas, it only proves that making things idiot proof can be extremely difficult as well as the fact that one should never 'assume' anything involving humanoids. [rolleyes2]

Further, detailed, personal instruction is available, printed details and costs can be mailed to those requesting more info after they supply certain bank account and or credit card information.

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 02:42:07 PM »
So, would the lack of this "Link"  be the long sought by anthropologists?  THE MISSING LINK? [interesting] [woohoo]
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 04:11:28 PM »
[lol] Not sure what browser you are using (maybe the same as Bull?), but the "link" is not missing, and never was. And it works great just fine in Safari, which should also be good for "finding kinks to missing animals"!

The new Davis does have tons of javascript, so you'll probably have a much less similar view of it with that turned off, as I often do. At any rate here is a picture to save a few thousand words:[removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site]
I leave the last click, on either of the Davis links, as an exercise for the viewer. [removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site] :) [cheer] We could all probably use a little exercise, anyway... [blush] I gotta go now, I hear the ice cream truck coming down the street...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:42:55 PM by xairbusdriver »