Author Topic: More than one way to skin a cat-fish!  (Read 6398 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
More than one way to skin a cat-fish!
« on: October 04, 2013, 08:27:10 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans,

Those of us speaking American-English are familiar with a bit of slang that certainly won't make cat lovers very happy:

There is more than one way to skin a cat

It is kind of an odd phrase that means there is more than one way to solve a problem.  I had always been curious why this phrase has come into common use.  Well, the History Channel had a documentary series called: "America's Secret Slang."  It covered all sorts of phrases whose origin I had never known about.  Including this one.

It turns out the phrase has nothing to do with felines at all, but catfish.  Catfish have a very tough skin and attempting to skin them will usually rip up the flesh thereby wasting a lot of the meat.  After many years, techniques were developed to efficiently skin catfish - however, indeed more than one.  As a result of this success: "there is more than one way to skin a catfish" became something of an emblem of American ingenuity.  If one technique doesn't work, there has got to be others.  Over time, the phrase was shortened to "there is more than one way to skin a cat" and over the generations the reference to catfish was forgotten.  Thus we were left with the odd idea of actually skinning 4-legged felines.

So all you cat lovers out there, the next time you hear the phrase: "there is more than one way to skin a cat," fret not and politely correct the person.  Now if you are a lover of catfish - sorry I can't help you with that one!!  ;)

Hopefully a smile for your day!   :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: More than one way to skin a cat-fish!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 11:23:37 PM »
Hi Edouard
 if you haven't tried to skin a Cat Fish you need to go give it a try my uncle a great fisherman he is finally showed me a trick or too the bigger the easier
cheer
 [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 09:55:35 AM »
It turns out the phrase has nothing to do with felines at all, but catfish. 

Good!  :)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 08:26:18 AM »
Now if you are a lover of catfish - sorry I can't help you with that one!!

Not me. Catfish are bottom feeders and they taste like mud.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
In all honesty! (Re: skin a cat-fish!)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 10:30:27 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat seafood connoisseurs,

Now if you are a lover of catfish - sorry I can't help you with that one!!

Not me. Catfish are bottom feeders and they taste like mud.

To be perfectly honest - me too!  I prefer my aquatic prey from some place higher up in the water column!  Although sole and halibut are also bottom dwellers and suffer from the fact that they are - delicious!!

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 11:09:35 PM »
Hi Cat (Fish) connoisseurs

After cleaning just soak it in salt water for 24 hours before cooking and you'll have some pretty good eating
cheers
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for the tip. (Re: More than one way to skin a cat-fish!)
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 07:04:42 PM »
Hi Randall and WeatherCat fish connoisseurs,

After cleaning just soak it in salt water for 24 hours before cooking and you'll have some pretty good eating

Hmm, interesting.  We have been experimenting with marinating fish.  Thanks for the tip!  I'll add it to my cooking toolbox!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 07:20:04 PM »

I've tried that. It's good, if you like the taste of mud.  :)
Blick

Commodore

• Gentle Breeze
    • Commodore Mark
  • Station Details: 27" iMac and a Mac mini but no weather station yet.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 01:20:24 AM »
I think catfish is an acquired taste...and I just haven't acquired it.    [biggrin]
Alas, I don't have a weather station...but I'm going to have one real soon now.  :-(

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 03:42:48 PM »
The taste of catfish really depends on where they come from. Some lake fish taste muddy. Some don't. Most all stream catfish are delicious, but not that big. Well, the big ones are harder to get. River catfish taste, as stated with lakes, depends on the river and how clean it is.

Over here in N. Arkansas, and most of the U.S., we catfish lovers eat pond raised catfish from catfish farms where they are grown commercially. These fish have a very neutral taste. I prefer the wild ones, personally. But, the big lakes around here are mostly man made and have clear water, making the fish caught in them pretty good! Thank you U.S. Army Corp of Engineers!

They also need to be prepared correctly. The Deep South recipe for catfish varies greatly from family to family, but the standard is the following recipe, though many leave out the lemon pepper:

Deep Fried Catfish

8 (6 to 8 oz) fillets catfish
3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
3 eggs
1 tablespoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon salt or salt substitute
16 to 20 oz of cooking oil

1> Combine flour, cornmeal, lemon pepper spice and salt and set aside.
2> In a separate container lightly beat eggs.
3> Heat cooking oil to auto ignition temperature of a match head.
4> Prepare a receiving tray by covering a large plate with paper towels.
5> One at a time, dip fillets into egg, then dredge in flour mixture until well coated and drop into hot cooking oil. Cook until lightly browned and floating nicely. This will not take long. Do not over cook. Fish should retain moisture inside.
5> Stack finished fillets on paper towel covered plate.
6> Serve and enjoy!

Usually served with coleslaw, hushpuppies (a deep fried ball of battered cornbread), french fried potatoes, onions and tarter sauce. And of course your favorite beverage. Here, that would be lightly sweetened ice tea with lemon. Catfish will make you thirsty!
Herb