Author Topic: Windyty.com changes not appreciated (yet)  (Read 5387 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Windyty.com changes not appreciated (yet)
« on: July 28, 2016, 03:21:11 AM »
{rant} I very much enjoy viewing the wind at various altitudes around my area. Great clues about where the Highs and Lows are and what might be happening and how soon. Visiting my "Windyty.com" page just now, I saw (or actually did NOT see) that the layers choices, altitude and times choices were gone! :o

Three possibilities came to mind:
  • My site had been hacked by some one who doesn't like 'wind'.
  • I maid a serious erer editing thee paige (witch I haven't dun in several weaks).
  • Windyty.com has changed what they display.

Fortunately, I could eliminate #1 and 2. Unfortunately, I found that #3 was the cause of the missing functionality. Windyty.com now requires a minimum width of 750 pixels in order to display the re-modeled 'controls'. Even worse, those controls now constant show all the available choices instead of keeping them in a neat and small pop-up list! I'm sure 'they' think this makes it easier to view different weather phenomena or at least encourages views to look at more of them. Perhaps they think normal viewers are not smart enough to know what to do with pop-up lists? [rolleyes2]

I also make my site viewable on any screen width. I don't see why, in this age of multiple devices why people want to force a viewer to have a certain width screen. I grew to loathe horizontal scrolling decades ago! [banghead] So, my site can be viewed on any size screen available, be it a full screen desktop (or even a desktop browser at its minimum possible window width!) or an iPhone in Portrait mode. It may not be perfect, but I'm not a professional, either. Simple media queries work just fine in CSS, no javascript needed (nor wanted). [cheer]

I'll change the code to reflect the new minimum size but I will be contacting Windyty.com as soon as I post this. It is a terrible move on their part, in my humble opinion. It will decrease the usability of their site simply by eliminating the flexibility of their (and my) site! Of course, I'm getting exactly what I paid for: nothing! So I doubt they will even reply to my concerns/complaints.{/rant}
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Windyty.com changes not appreciated (yet)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 05:06:40 AM »
I too noticed the changes and submitted a help request. They responded very quickly and thanked me for bringing to their attention 2 things that don't work on their new widget. They said they would fix them but pointed me to their new API, which allows you to code the object to do exactly what you desire. Unfortunately for me, the API is a little over my head and they do not provide tech support on it. I haven't been able to get it to work so far.

I think they provide an excellent product, especially given the price. Hard to beat free. But I do agree with you about preferring to have control over the layers.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 05:43:36 PM »
Do you have a link to the API? All I found was <this page> rather limited options.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 12:01:24 AM »
api.windyty.com

If you get it working, let me know how you did it.

Email them for a key, which takes a few days for the response.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 01:58:30 AM »
Thank you, sir! [cheers1] I'll check it out tomorrow. "Think Wednesday" is on Thursday night due to the DNC. [rolleyes2]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 06:53:19 PM »
Will be working on the API examples as I have time today. At first glance, they don't seem to have any controls for displaying the tools to over-ride the 750px minimum width. All the samples include some css that sets the map to 1000px. There is a 'key' in all the sample code, it may not work if I try to run the file. Strangely, none of the samples/demos even show the 'tools'! That's like building a car and not including the steering wheel! [banghead] I can only assume they didn't go to all the work of changing the 'tools' without expecting them to be visible. [rolleyes2]

I have never used javascript and starting is not a pleasant idea. If it's not easily corrected, I'll simply use some CSS to hide the image for narrower windows including a note that Windyty doesn't support small screens. [computer]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 08:05:55 PM »
The sample key will not work. Use the link in the link I posted to request a key from them. It took 3 days for me to receive my key as they generate them manually.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 08:36:15 PM »
The sample key will not work
I doubted it would. I requested a key using the "Feedback" form link in the right-hand, bottom of their main display page. [rolleyes2] Also joined the (not too active) Forum. I finally saw the link on the API page... need some new glasses! [banghead]

The easiest 'solution' may be to simply have an 'off-site' link to their site which can include the Lat, Long coordinates; just add:
?35.xxx,-89.xxx,7
(with your own or desired Lat, Long)
The number at the end determines the 'zoom' (3 through 17).

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 12:13:01 AM »
The widget is better. Today Windyty added back the missing wind speed legend on their widget. They also fixed the bug in their forecast slider that prevented you from sliding forward today. You can't go back in time, but you can now slide to a future hour today. I still liked it better when the only visible layer was wind because its other forecast layers are not as accurate as other sources. But I like improvements so these are appreciated.

They fixed these issue 6 days after I reported them, which is pretty good for a free service and way faster than WeatherUnderground ever gets around to anything.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 12:39:13 AM »
I've simply changed my link to their site. All my "maps" now open in a new page. I didn't care for using an iframe which is their suggested method, now have one less page to keep up with. People will have to deal with the collapsing 'tools' on their own. I still liked their previous 'tools' display and operation, but I don't think I get to vote on that change. [lol]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 12:44:34 AM »
I know iframes are old school and not really the best design for loading stuff from another website, but since my site is a WordPress installation, it seems to be the only way I can get some things to work when I want to display the object itself rather than a link. Don't blame you for just pointing at their site. Their site works better than their widget.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 12:46:47 AM »
As Napoleon once Tweeted, "Fighting 'Progress' is a losing battle." [lol2]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 12:49:13 AM »
Circa 1815 at Waterloo.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 12:52:18 AM »
Of course, his Tweet only went to European followers. There was no cable across the Channel at that time. That's one of the reasons his comment is not so well known ...