Author Topic: What is the GLOBE.gov program?  (Read 3075 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
What is the GLOBE.gov program?
« on: September 19, 2014, 10:10:57 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans,

I was trying to write up the Wiki entry on the Davis data loggers when I discovered Davis has added another service that the IP data logger can upload to:

www.globe.gov

Looking around quickly, it appears to be definitely oriented for schools and doesn't appear to invite individual persons to submit data.  So it may not be of much interest to us WeatherCat types.  However, I thought I should bring up the subject just in case  . . . .  it really is interesting somehow.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: What is the GLOBE.gov program?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 06:54:04 AM »
This is kind of cool Edouard. Thanks for sharing.

I would assume that even though the Davis IP data logger is capable of uploading to this new service, that WeatherCatters should probably not utilize that service for the same reason Stu has cautioned us against simultaneous uploads to WeatherLink. Here is what the Weathercat Manual says:

For the greatest reliability it is suggested you turn off the upload to weatherlink.com via the loggers' configuration web page and turn the upload option off in WeatherCat. The reason for this is when uploading to weatherlink.com, the logger may lock-up if it can't resolve the weatherlink.com domain name and communications to WeatherCat will be lost.

Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Strange to exclude the public. (Re: What is the GLOBE.gov program?)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 09:40:52 PM »
Hi Blick and WeatherCat data submission junkies, . . . .

This is kind of cool Edouard. Thanks for sharing.

It is interesting, but I find it bizarre that this program appears to be exclusively for education.  I think it would be a wonderful idea for schools to have a weather station, but I don't know of a single school in my corner of California that does.  At the same time, I would think that a program that involves the schools would be interested in more than just the weather at the school.  I live less than 1/2 mile from an elementary school, but I know the conditions are very different because we are near the top of a steep hill.  So if students could compare my weather data with the data from the weather station that they should have, they would learn something about how topography effects weather.

I would assume that even though the Davis IP data logger is capable of uploading to this new service, that WeatherCatters should probably not utilize that service for the same reason Stu has cautioned us against simultaneous uploads to WeatherLink.

Indeed, WeatherCatters shouldn't use the WeatherLink IP to upload to this service, but of course someone would write an add-on to WeatherCat to do the same thing.  However, it seems clear we aren't invited to do so. 

Puzzling . . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S.  ;) . . . . So tell me, is WeatherCatter a word?  [biggrin]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: What is the GLOBE.gov program?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:59:17 PM »
Edouard,

Odd that there are no schools near you in the Globe program. Nearly every school around us is a member. There must be 50 in a 10 mile radius of my house.

There are a few folks over on the WXForum involved in Globe, but it is quite involved in joining, and you really have to be in education or research to be considered.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook