Author Topic: Settings, iMac and WeatherCat  (Read 3220 times)

vicciconway@mac.com

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 purchased 2004
Settings, iMac and WeatherCat
« on: August 08, 2017, 12:06:59 AM »
 Hi, since getting a new iMac, WeatherCat stops reporting to NOAA, WeatherBug and WeatherUnderground several times a day.  I'm pretty sure it's some Mac setting, but even stopping the HD from sleeping, it still happens.  And it's likely not good to keep the SSD HD spinning.  Any ideas on what settings will keep the program up, running and reporting?

Thanks,
Vicci

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Settings, iMac and WeatherCat
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 12:53:15 AM »
Open Finder. Find the WeatherCat.app. Select it in Finder and press command and I (or use the "Get Info" item in the File menu). In the "General:" section of the WeatherCat.app Info window should be a checkbox labeled "Prevent App Nap". You might want to click that box to enable that function to prevent the app from 'napping'. I have that checkbox selected/enabled in my setup.

On the other hand, this post suggests Unchecking it in an older OS, back in Nov 2013. However, newer posts indicate WC has been updated to allow its use with that setting enabled.

In any event, if that step does not help, please let us know. ;)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 02:35:26 AM »
In order to help you more efficiently, it would be very helpful for us if you would tell us what version of macOS you are running and what version of WeatherCat you are using. We assume the latest versions of both, but just in case, please verify. Also, what type of data logger are you using (IP, USB, serial with adaptor, etc.). Thanks.

In the meantime, most of us allow the display to sleep, but not the hard drive.

Here is the reason why, from page 217 of the WeatherCat Manual:

Q: Is it OK to put my computer to sleep whilst running WeatherCat?
A: We do not recommend putting your computer to sleep if running WeatherCat. Instead we suggest either quitting WeatherCat before putting the computer to sleep, or shutting the computer down entirely. Alternatively, set the Energy Saver to sleep the display but never sleep the computer.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 07:16:31 PM »
Hi, since getting a new iMac, WeatherCat stops reporting to NOAA, WeatherBug and WeatherUnderground several times a day.  I'm pretty sure it's some Mac setting, but even stopping the HD from sleeping, it still happens.  And it's likely not good to keep the SSD HD spinning.  Any ideas on what settings will keep the program up, running and reporting?

Thanks,
Vicci

Go into system preferences,  to display, uncheck    as I have it.   your display will turn off but the hard drive will stay awake.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

vicciconway@mac.com

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 purchased 2004
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 03:48:03 AM »
Hi, thank you for all of the replies!  macOS Sierra 10.12.6; WeatherCat V2.42, Build 15 [2.4.2].  I assume both are the latest.  I have checked Prevent App Nap and unchecked letting the HD sleep.  Will come back if it seems to happen again.   Thanks again!

Vicci

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 02:06:52 AM »
Is the Mac dropping the connection or is WeatherCat faulting?

(And by the way, If you truly have an SSD, it does not spin)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Might need some freeware (Re: Settings, iMac and WeatherCat)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 11:25:37 PM »
Dear Vicci, TechnoMonkey, and WeatherCat sys-admins,

Hi, thank you for all of the replies!  macOS Sierra 10.12.6; WeatherCat V2.42, Build 15 [2.4.2].  I assume both are the latest.  I have checked Prevent App Nap and unchecked letting the HD sleep.  Will come back if it seems to happen again.   Thanks again!

If this does occur once more and it appears to be caused by your Mac going to sleep even if the settings should prevent that, there is a freeware remedy.  There is a program called Amphetamine that really does prevent your Mac from going to sleep - period!  Here is the link to the App on the Mac App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amphetamine/id937984704?mt=12&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Since this App does exist, it is clear there is some sort of problem in macOS.  So if you experience this once more, odds are your best bet is just install this App and move on.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Might need some freeware (Re: Settings, iMac and WeatherCat)
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 05:39:18 AM »
Since this App does exist, it is clear there is some sort of problem in macOS.  So if you experience this once more, odds are your best bet is just install this App and move

You are correct sir. My late 2013 27 inch iMac is a perfect sample. No matter what I did, it fell asleep. When I installed Amphetamine it solved the problem.
Blick

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
  • Station Details: Davis VP2
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 08:12:51 PM »
Same story here, Sierra would go into sleep mode regardless of settings, Amphetamine app was the solution.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Amphetamine info on Wiki (Re: Settings, iMac and WeatherCat)
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 11:07:57 PM »
Dear WeatherCat users who prefer their Macs to be night owls,

The December 2017 issue of MacLife magazine has a story on the freeware utility Amphetamine (page 85.)  While they don't explain why anybody would need this app, I take it as a tacit admission of the macOS bug that some of us have encountered that allows your Mac to go to sleep even if you have configured the Energy Saver settings to prevent this.  Given this admission, I decided it was a good idea to document this problem and the remedy on the WeatherCat Wiki.  Here is a link to the entry:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=How_to_prevent_your_Macintosh_from_going_to_sleep_and_interrupting_WeatherCat_operations

If anybody spots any typos or other errors let me know, or better still, get an account and fix the problem directly yourself.  That's how a Wiki works best!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 07:31:40 AM »
Thanks for adding this to the Wiki, Edouard.
Blick