Author Topic: Seeking feedback from owners of...  (Read 3207 times)

Monomeeth

• Calm
  • Station Details: Acu-rite, but looking for a Mac compatible WS
Seeking feedback from owners of...
« on: December 28, 2014, 09:51:17 AM »
Hello

I am thinking of purchasing a weather station that is compatible with my Mac and one of the options I'm looking at is an Aercus Instruments WS2083 or WS3083. My understanding is that this is just a rebranded model manufactured by Fine Offset, so I am looking for feedback from owners of any of the following stations (also manufactured by Fine Offset):

- Aercus Instruments WS2083
- Aercus Instruments WS3083
- Ambient Weather WS-1080
- Ambient Weather WS-1090
- Ambient Weather WS-2080
- Ambient Weather WS-2090
- Clas Ohlson (36-3242)
- Digitech XC-0348
- Digitech XC0348
- Maplin N96FY
- Maplin N96GY
- Tycon TP1080WC
- Velleman WS 1080
- Watson W-8681
- Watson W-8681-SOLAR
- Weatherwise Solar Pro
- Zephyr WH1081

Since all the above stations are effectively the same models, any feedback on them would give me an insight as to whether an Aercus Instruments WS2083 or WS3083 is worth buying. I know these will work with Weather Cat, and that's critical for me as I'm Mac based.

Thanks in advance!

Joe.

PS. Of course, if anyone has any other suggested units worth buying, I'm all ears! (Please note I'm not looking at spending more than $200-$300).

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Folks are using them. (Re: Seeking feedback from owners of...)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 10:02:53 PM »
Dear Joe and WeatherCat connoisseurs of weather station hardware,

I'm one of the Davis owners around here, so I'm no help.  However, there are a number of WeatherCat users using the fine offset stations and even Stu has had reasonably good success with these station while he was developing the drivers for WeatherCat.  You might try doing some searches of the forum to find users with those models and then send them a Private Message.  They might not visit this forum that often.

Cheers, Edouard

Monomeeth

• Calm
  • Station Details: Acu-rite, but looking for a Mac compatible WS
Re: Seeking feedback from owners of...
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 03:44:52 AM »
Thanks, that sounds like a good idea. Will give that a go!

:)

stepheng

• Calm
    • IMALVE27
  • Station Details: Clas Ohlson - Fine Offset WH1080, now Davis Vantage Pro2
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:18:41 AM »
Hi,

This reply is probably too late for any decision that you are making.

I use the Clas Olson version of the Fine Offset, which works fine with WeatherCat.  The temperature sensor is not well shielded and so definitely reads a bit high where I have it situated.  As it doesn't update very frequently, the wind speed readings probably miss many gusts (but in my situation, I haven't really got a nice exposed place for the anemometer in any case).  Assuming you can get the model for a good price, I would say it is a great introduction.   I'd love to have a Davis, but that is a major investment and probably overkill for the situation in my garden.

I've had the Clas Olson for almost a year now - don't know how well it will survive in the long term, but as it was so cheap when I bought it (only about ?50 as opposed to the "normal" price of around ?100), it is almost disposable.  I have seen the same model in other branding being sold for anything up to ?150 in the UK.

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
I'd agree any weather station is better than none and probably just as much fun. Nonetheless, I encourage taking a second look at Davis. In the long run I tend to think it is a great way to go even though it is a pretty darn expensive initially. I've had my VP2 for 7 to 8 years. My only regret is that I didn't buy a fancier model, i.e. with the 24 hour fan and additional sensors. It might be worth saving a few extra months to get a VP2.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 09:48:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum stepheng. And thanks for your comments about the Clas Olson version of the Fine Offset.

Monomeeth, what did you end up doing?
Blick