Author Topic: Newbie Nick  (Read 3089 times)

nickdeck

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: 2010 21.5" iMac, 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, 12 GB RAM, Lion 10.7.3 Vantage Vue, Davis USB data logger
Newbie Nick
« on: February 26, 2012, 03:49:18 PM »
Hello all,

Some of you may recognize my name from the macweather forums or the WxForums. I'm only a month or so into ownership of a Vantage Vue, and lovin' it!

Equipment is the Vue with Davis USB data logger, 21.5" iMac, OS X 10.7.3, 12 GB RAM.

I'm a (mostly) retired photographer (www.nickdeckerphoto.com) living at the Lake of the Ozarks, in Missouri, USA.

A quick question, if you don't mind: I'm also relatively new to Macs, having crossed over from the "other" side a few months ago, so I know this will probably induce some eye rolling. As per the manual, I've installed WeatherCat by dragging the WeatherCat folder into my Applications folder. When I click on the WeatherCat folder, it expands and shows me the application icon to click on to open the program. However, when I click on the Help file to get to the user manual, it says that the Help file isn't installed. I can get to the Help file by reopening the Applications/WeatherCat folder, but have I done something wrong to have to do it that way?

BTW, the public beta is running fine for me. A big thank you to Stu and all the others that have contributed!

Nick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Try dragging the whole folder over (Re: Nick)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:23:35 PM »
Hi Nick and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

Welcome to WeatherCat and the Mac!  [computer]

I'm a (mostly) retired photographer (www.nickdeckerphoto.com) living at the Lake of the Ozarks, in Missouri, USA.

Somehow lots of photographically inclined folks involved with weather.  From time to time we get some nice photo exhibitions on MacWeather.net.

A quick question, if you don't mind: I'm also relatively new to Macs, having crossed over from the "other" side a few months ago, so I know this will probably induce some eye rolling. As per the manual, I've installed WeatherCat by dragging the WeatherCat folder into my Applications folder. When I click on the WeatherCat folder, it expands and shows me the application icon to click on to open the program. However, when I click on the Help file to get to the user manual, it says that the Help file isn't installed. I can get to the Help file by reopening the Applications/WeatherCat folder, but have I done something wrong to have to do it that way?

Is what you call the "help file" the user manual? WeatherCatUserManual.pdf  It should open if you double-click on it.  It is a "PDF" (acrobat) file.  On a Mac it should open with the Preview application.

The other thing that could be happening to you is that WeatherCat will occasionally show two Help menus.  The second menu will claim there is a WeatherCat help file when all that I know about is the user manual.  You should avoid that second Help menu.  I managed to crash LWC about a year ago playing with it and so . . . . . I don't touch it no more!!  :(

Does that help?  If not, try to describe what you are seeing in more detail to see if we can pick out the problem.

Thanks for joining us here!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

nickdeck

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: 2010 21.5" iMac, 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, 12 GB RAM, Lion 10.7.3 Vantage Vue, Davis USB data logger
Re: Newbie Nick
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:03:39 PM »
Hi Edouard,

As a photographer, I guess my interest in weather might have been because so many of my outdoor jobs were weather-dependent.  :)

The Help issue seems to have resolved itself.  ??? This morning, when I clicked on Help in the top menu bar, I was presented with several choices, one of which was the user manual, which opened fine from there.

Thanks,
Nick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Newbie Nick
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:43:15 AM »
Welcome Nick - thanks for introducing yourself  :)

Cheers,
Stu.