Author Topic: WeatherCat and Sierra  (Read 3961 times)

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
WeatherCat and Sierra
« on: October 08, 2016, 10:17:31 AM »
Hello folks,
Here's what's known with regards to WeatherCat V2.4.0 and Sierra at the moment.

1. Power saver settings seem to be changed for some people on upgrade to Sierra to set the computer to sleep - this can cause problems with WeatherCat losing the connection to your station. The solution is to check the power saver settings after upgrade and turn off machine sleep (letting the display sleep is fine).

2. A bug in the OS prevents the CUSTOMGAUGE$x$ tag from working correctly on some machines. When displayed on a web page, these tags display the gauge with all pointers pointing at 12 O'clock. This has been raised with Apple as bug #28465743. Currently there is no solution and no work-around.

Other than that, no other issues are known.

Be sure to check any drivers you need are compatible with Sierra before upgrading the OS.

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: WeatherCat and Sierra
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 11:26:55 AM »
Thanks for the update, Stu. Maybe that'll convince more lurkers to take the plunge and move to macOS Sierra. Would be helpful if you posted the USB-to-Serial version which you've found is compatible (and where to download it from). That's probably the one thing which is likely to trip up more folks than anything else.

OTOH, for those who run WC on an older, otherwise unused, computer, upgrading to Sierra may not even be an option.

I posted the hardware compatibility link in the following thread about a month ago:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2209.msg21718#msg21718

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 03:57:10 PM »
Thanks for the update Stu. I need to clone my drive, perhaps over this weekend, for a backup and then I am going to upragde to Sierra. Perhaps this will become the first time in history that I beat Steve to an an OS upgrade, if he is still on the road.  :)

Felix, thanks for your various Sierra updates. I too use the WeatherLinkIP? data logger.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Awe shucks . . (Re: WeatherCat and Sierra)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 10:08:26 PM »
Dear Stu, Felix, Blick, and WeatherCat leading edgers,

Here's what's known with regards to WeatherCat V2.4.0 and Sierra at the moment.

[wink] . . . . Awe shucks, did you have to let da' cat out of da' bag so soon? . . . . .  [cat] . . .  [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 04:26:10 PM »
WC 2.4.1 and the other software in my profile continues to work OK with the MacOS Sierra 10.12.4 update released yesterday (3/27/2017).

Be prepared to be down for awhile, took about 16 minutes and went through a couple auto-restarts before 10.12.4 was fully loaded and ready to use.

tizza

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue with no extras, MBPr late 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »
FYI KIDZ, rMBP (MID 2012) updated to macOS 10.12.4 today.

Running WC 2.4.1

Not having a single problem whatsoever with the last 2 macOS updates.

SilLabs driver: CP210x Macintosh OSX VCP Driver 4.x.13 - August 31, 2016 seems to work fine for me
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Davis Vantage Vue, MBPr late 2012.
I'm a photographer and have a photography website if you're interested.
http://www.mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 08:18:56 PM »
Thanks! I may move the WC mini off Yosemite, now! ;)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
How I wish I had a little spare time . . . (Re: WeatherCat and Sierra)
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 11:39:15 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat sys-admins,

Thanks! I may move the WC mini off Yosemite, now! ;)

*Sigh*, I recently discovered that the two utilities that were holding be back from upgrading to Sierra in fact still work on OS 10.12.  I really would like to upgrade since Sierra seems to have more aggressive memory management.  However, I can't do that until I make the switch from iPhoto to Lightroom and . . . . . I still can't find the time to do that!   [banghead]

Grumble, grumble, grumble,
. . . . . Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 03:38:50 AM »
I haven't used iPhoto (or Photos) but I think they both use the same location to save their images/photos. iPhoto just didn't like to show you! At any rate, you probably have at least one 'file' (it's actually a directory) in your default "Pictures" directory. Ot you can search for an item with a suffix of ".photoslibrary". If you simply open Photos, it will 'grab' your iPhoto Library, update a copy and create that new directory for you. Inside that new directory (Show Contents), you should eventually find one called "Masters". You can then copy or duplicate them into any place you'd like and then tell LR where that is.

LR couldn't care less about where you store stuff, as long as you don't change titles it outside of LR. Always use LR to change names of files or suffer the wrath of Adobe the next time you try to open it in LR!

Other than finding your images, I'm not sure what kinds of problems you are anticipating with "using LR". However, it is not iPhotos/Photos on steroids! It will require some rethinking and careful thinking about how you organize your collection. The work flow is 99.8% different, also. It is actually designed for professionals or serious photographers. Be advised that while Adobe still sells a desktop version, it will probably not be updated as often or as completely as the subscription (CC) version. I'm happy with sticking with version 6.0 on my machine. ;)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 09:00:58 PM »
WC 2.4.1 and the other software in my profile continues to work OK with the MacOS Sierra 10.12.4 update released yesterday (3/27/2017).
Do you happen to use WXCat for building a custom website that uses gauges? If so, did macOS Sierra cause problems with the gauge displays on the website? Thanks.
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 02:23:31 AM »
^^^^^ Bump
A clear conscience is a great pillow.