Weather > Observations

2017 Solar Eclipse

<< < (2/2)

Steve:
We will be at 80% totality. I'm making a simple pinhole viewer.

April 8, 2024 will be another continent spanning total eclipse, but of slightly longer duration. That one's center passes within two miles of my house. I'll wait for that one instead of traveling.

TechnoMonkey:
The Annular on October 14, 2023 will pass right over me, but the April 8, 2024 Total will only require a two hour drive to San Antonio.  San Antonio gets both.

I would love to see the upcoming one, but 2 days of driving for a 2 minute show?  Not gonna happen.

elagache:
Dear WeatherCat eclipse watchers,

The Monterey office of the National Weather Service saved me the trouble of finding out the local timing of the partial eclipse.  That information was included in this afternoon's forecast discussion.  To be precise (and I quote: )

"The eclipse of the sun will begin shortly after 9:00 am PDT for the Bay Area with peak obscuration happening around 10:15 am PDT. Peak obscuration of the sun will range from 71 percent in Monterey and up to 78 percent in Santa Rosa."

So if you are looking for that information, you might find it in of one the resources you already frequent.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver:
Should you wish to follow along for the entire event and from many different perspectives, try:NASA eclipse-live-stream. There are about a dozen ways to watch and a description of where the cameras will be.

Type in your zip code and this site will show you an animated graphic displaying what the eclipse will look like in that zip code. It also provides some info about how much and what time the event will occur. My area has the following:
--- Quote ---The eclipse will peak at 1:23:28 pm CDT, when the moon obscures 93.5% of the sun.
--- End quote ---
Where I plan on being Monday is a bit better:
--- Quote ---The eclipse will peak at 1:13:52 pm CDT, when the moon obscures 100% of the sun.
--- End quote ---
Of course, what we'll all see will depend on what else is in the sky! [lol]

elagache:
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat observers of natural phenomena,

Thanks for the pointers to all that information.  Since once more I'm unable to reach the location of totality and got a good view of the 1979 partial eclipse, I'll mostly sit this one out.  However, perhaps other WeatherCatters will get more out of the eclipse.  I will try to create movie of the darkening skies from the WeatherCat webcam, but this may be a bust depending on how heavy the fog turns out to be on Monday morning.

Cheers, Edouard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version