Author Topic: Using WeatherCat tags  (Read 9633 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Using WeatherCat tags
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:54:34 PM »
I am experimenting with WeatherCat's tags and since I don't know what I am doing, I am not doing much at all.

I want to use use some of the statistical tags on my site: STRECENT$, STRECORDS$, STYEAROVERYEAR$

I put them all in a file I named statistics_upload.html and placed that in my Set HTML Source folder. I added that file to the Additional Files in the Custom Web tab and enabled FTP every 10 minutes. A file by the same name was then created in the Set Save Path folder. Opening that folder I can see that the tags have been replaced with the pre-formatted data. That folder is being FTP'd to my site.
  • What is the html code for placing the pre formatted data on the page? (I have tried for several hours and can't seem to figure it out.)
  • Does each tag need to be uploaded by itself rather than in one file?
  • Is there a recommended FTP processing interval for things like this that don't need to be updated as often or do I just upload it when everything else uploads?
Thanks.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Quickie tips on tags (Re: Using WeatherCat tags)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 10:37:31 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat tinkerers,

What is the html code for placing the pre formatted data on the page?

The old fashioned way is with

<pre>
. . .
</pre>

You can read up on it on this webpage:

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_pre.asp

Does each tag need to be uploaded by itself rather than in one file?

You can have as many tags as you want in a file.  Of course more tags take more space.

Is there a recommended FTP processing interval for things like this that don't need to be updated as often or do I just upload it when everything else uploads?

There isn't any recommendation really.  It is more how often you need the data.  You can use the Additional Files feature of the Custom Web pages to have some files updated infrequently.  I use it for data upload services that want data as a file like: AWEKAS and also for the text I create that ends up being sent to Twitter.

Hope that's something to go on.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Quickie tips on tags (Re: Using WeatherCat tags)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:49:55 PM »
The old fashioned way is with

<pre>
. . .
</pre>

Well, yes. I got that far. What is stumping me is what goes in the middle in place of your three dots? How do I point to the statistical data in the uploaded file? I've tried sticking in a path to that file and I've tried using the tag but I can't figure out how to get the data from the file to display on the page.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WeatherCat does the substitutions. (Re: Using WeatherCat tags)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:45:25 PM »
Hi Blick and WeatherCat web spinners,

Well, yes. I got that far. What is stumping me is what goes in the middle in place of your three dots? How do I point to the statistical data in the uploaded file? I've tried sticking in a path to that file and I've tried using the tag but I can't figure out how to get the data from the file to display on the page.

Take a look at the documentation that comes with my Seamonkey web templates:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=956.0

You need to set up two folders so that WeatherCat does all the processing.  Following that example, you need to put a file like say record_stats.html  that includes the following contents:

<pre>STRECORDS$</pre>

Into the folder:

~/WeatherCat Web Sites/WC Custom Web Templates

Then when WeatherCat processes the file, it will create a new file with the same name: record_stats.html, but in the other folder:

~/WeatherCat Web Sites/WC Custom Web

Instead of the web tag, the data will appear in exactly the same place - something like this:

<pre>Canebas Weather Station

Highest recorded temperature: 101.1 ?F on Jun 8, 2013
Lowest recorded temperature: 30.4 ?F on Dec 5, 2013
Total recorded temperature range: 70.7 ?F

Highest recorded pressure: 30.56 inHg on Dec 23, 2011
Lowest recorded pressure: 28.86 inHg on Jan 21, 2010
Total recorded pressure range: 1.69 inHg

Highest recorded wind speed: 30.0 MPH on Nov 21, 2013

Wettest day on record: Oct 11, 2009 with 4.00 in of rain.

Sunniest day on record: Mar 17, 2014 with 14.3 hours of sunshine.</pre>

Does that make more sense?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Re: Using WeatherCat tags
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »
Edouard:

I have done all of that and that file is successfully loaded to my website uploads folder. I cannot figure out how to display the data after it gets uploaded to the website. All I am getting to display is the name of the tag itself, I cannot figure out how to display the data. Doesn't there have to be a pointer to the data file itself?
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 10:26:54 PM »
Hi Blick and Edouard
 Forgive me if I am wrong but don't you need to open SeaMonkey/New Composer then put <pre>STRECOEDS$<pre> in there then save that file as record_stats.html then put the saved file into the WCCustomWeb Templetes so that the Cat can do it's thing then it will go to the WC CustomWeb folder which is then upload to your web site then you need to have a place on your web page to direct it to that html file

Thats how I have all of mine anyway

cheers

[cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 11:20:36 PM »
then you need to have a place on your web page to direct it to that html file

Yes. I've done everything but can't figure out the last step: how to point to that HTML file from the web page itself.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 02:47:08 AM »
Hi Blick
 Ok now try this open SeaMonkey again then open file then open your index.html file that should be your home web page that WC is uploading for you then you will need to add something like record stats to your web page and have to link to the record_stats.html save everything it should work when on your web site if you click on it it should then open it up

hope this helps

cheers

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Something amiss with Custom Web preferences (Re: Using WeatherCat tags)
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 07:29:16 PM »
Hi Blick, Randall, and WeatherCat web spinners,

I have done all of that and that file is successfully loaded to my website uploads folder. I cannot figure out how to display the data after it gets uploaded to the website. All I am getting to display is the name of the tag itself, I cannot figure out how to display the data. Doesn't there have to be a pointer to the data file itself?

Randall is pointing at the problem.  However, we may need a little more diagnosis to figure out this problem.  Could you tell us how you have your folders set up and what your WeatherCat Custom Web preferences look like?  It would be best to take a screen shot of the preferences.  That would help a lot in troubleshooting.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 11:54:22 PM »
Randall & Edouard:

Thanks for hanging in there with me on this. Sorry to be so dense but I have to start somewhere. Let me try to explain it so that you understand what I am asking.

I created a file called statistics_upload.html and placed it in my Set HTML Source folder (Users/Blick/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWebTemplate). This file contains some tags like STRECENT$, STRECORDS$, STYEAROVERYEAR$ etc.

WeatherCat processes that file and stores the output file of the same name (statistics_upload.hmtl) in the folder specified in my Set Save Path preference (Users/Blick/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb). This file contains the pre-formatted data that replaced the tag.

WeatherCat uploads statistics_upload.html to timberlakesutah.com/wp-content/uploads/weather every ten minutes.

So far, so good, everything works great.

My question is, what is the html code that I insert on the page where I want this data to appear? I know that the code needs to be enclosed in the <pre> </pre> tags, but I cannot figure out what the code is that points from the webpage, to the uploads folder, so that the data in the uploaded file appears on the correct web page.

Screenshots attached.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 12:40:29 AM »
Hi Blick
 I need to know if you do this in your browser  timberlakesutah.com/wpcontent/uploads/weather/statistics_upload.html
if does it show up the way you want  then you need to do something like this
the on your web page(index.html) you will need to open it in seamonkey and add
for an example you add My Statisics( or whatever you are going to call it) to you Web page then link that to your statistics_upload.html file
then it should open up on your web page
hope this helps
cheers [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 05:24:02 AM »
I am using WordPress. Here are two screenshots. The first one shows that I can link to the file using an iFrame tag. The second one shows that the iFrame tag is NOT the right way to link to the file as it does not preserve the format. <pre> tags don't work with iFrame.

I have also tried to link to the file to "display" it the same way my WeatherCat Banner is displayed but that doesn't work either (understandably because it is not a jpeg.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for other html code I could try?

Thanks,
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 11:52:53 AM »
Hi Blick
 Sorry for not being able to help you with this I have never used word press you just have to PM Stu and see if he can shed some thought on how to do this hope you get it figured out

cheers

[cheers1]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »
Hi Blick,

let me chime in here. So if I understand you right, you have a file that contains all your wanted tags that is being processed and uploaded by WeatherCat correctly. Now you want to get some tags that are rendered within this file into other web pages - is this correct?
The short answer is: Not possible.
The long answer is: Every web page on your website that contains weather information provided by tags from WeatherCat has to be processed by WeatherCat on its own!

... My question is, what is the html code that I insert on the page where I want this data to appear? ...

Just an example:
You have a page on your website that is called ?summertime.html? and there is no weather info in till now. You want to take in the Min?s and Max?s from this summer, so you have to fill in this file the corresponding WeatherCat tags and put this ?summertime.html? file into the location where WeatherCat processes this file and replaces the tags with data and uploads it. I think you can not link certain data contents from an ?all containing weather data webpage ( STRECENT$ - STRECORDS$ - etc.)" into another webpage, every webpage you are spinning with tags from WeatherCat has to be processed by WeatherCat separately.

Another time, only if I understand you correct, this should shed a bit light to your question.

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Try another way to get monospace. (Re: Using WeatherCat tags)
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 09:24:03 PM »
Hi Blick and WeatherCat fans,

Ah ha!  I was certain there was something more complex driving all these questions.

I am using WordPress. Here are two screenshots. The first one shows that I can link to the file using an iFrame tag. The second one shows that the iFrame tag is NOT the right way to link to the file as it does not preserve the format. <pre> tags don't work with iFrame.

Okay, now that I understand what the problem is, I put Google to work and I think I've found an answer for you on this page:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Writing_Code_in_Your_Posts

Try treating the statistics as code and use the <code></code> tags.  There are examples on the webpage above.  It should allow WordPress to display WeatherCat statistics correctly.

You'll have to tell us more about your explorations with using WeatherCat And WordPress.  I'm still hoping to use WordPress someday.  Alas, working on my trusty wagon gets priority over writing about it!