Weather > General Weather Discussion

Do I live too close to the railroad?!

(1/2) > >>

xairbusdriver:
I thought a mile would be enough to protect me from these "expresses"!

--- Quote from: Special Wx Alert #1 ---WINDS...northwest through north winds of 15 to 30 mph with gusts of 40 to 45 mph.
TIMING...Saturday 12 PM CST to 3 AM CST Sunday morning.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Special Wx Alert #2 ---A strong cold front will push into the Mid-South Saturday afternoon and abruptly drop temperatures below freezing across much of the area by sundown.
--- End quote ---
[freeze]

elagache:
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat railfans,

--- Quote from: xairbusdriver on January 18, 2019, 08:51:00 PM ---Do I live too close to the railroad?
I thought a mile would be enough to protect me from these "expresses"!

--- End quote ---

[wink] . . . . Well there is a very simple test really.  Can you inhale that delightful scent of steam!

If not then clearly you aren't close enough!! lol(1)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver:
Only time there is any steam on the NS is when they hit another 4-wheeler that stops on the tracks and the radiator leaks! Apparently, many folks have never even seen a train... until it's too late, anyway. [rolleyes2] [banghead]

elagache:
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat railfans, . . . .

--- Quote from: xairbusdriver on January 18, 2019, 11:15:07 PM ---Only time there is any steam on the NS is when they hit another 4-wheeler that stops on the tracks and the radiator leaks! Apparently, many folks have never even seen a train... until it's too late, anyway. [rolleyes2] [banghead]
--- End quote ---

What a darn shame!  According to Wikipedia, this beautify used to pull excursion trains on the Norfolk Southern Railway from 1987 to 1991:

The Norfolk and Western 1218 was one of the triumphs of American steam locomotive design.  Now that Union Pacific is actively restoring one of their Big Boy locomotives, perhaps Virginia Museum of Transportation will get the itch to restore the 1218 so it too can be a fully operational steam locomotive.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve:
One of the Big Boy locomotives came by our house back about 1988-89. I had two cameras on remote and one handheld when it went by. Still, the best photo was from Deb with an Instamatic, while holding a baby in the other hand...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version