Author Topic: Do Not Buy This SSD!  (Read 15734 times)

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Re: Do Not Buy This SSD!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 11:11:11 PM »
The Samsung 830 is installed and running fine. TRIM is enabled. Used the procedure mentioned earlier and actually I found it a lot easier than I thought it would be.
Also no spacer is needed (for my 2008 15" MBP at least) as the drive is held in place by the tabs and screws on the sides.

Speed increase is amazing: boot up is 4x faster than before. Starting Apps and opening files is almost instantaneous.
I think my iMac needs one too...  8)

Jos

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »
Thanks for the update Jos, glad you had no problems fitting it. Good value for the money I'd say!

fbriatto2

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Macpro 2.1 SnowLeopard
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 01:24:40 AM »
So far so good, I am using

OCZ-VERTEX4                             
OCZ-SOLID3       
as well as an "old" OWC

on a MacPro and it has been working flawlessly for years (OWC), year (SOLID), months (VERTEX).

I Hope it continues like that for years on my "old" 2006 MacPro...

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 10:30:16 AM »
Nothing wrong with 2006 MacPro's :) Although I just had to 'upgrade' to a new iMac because Apple wouldn't support the MacPro in 10.8. Put an Intel 330 in the iMac (interesting 'operation' putting an SSD in an iMac) - but very happy with it.

But since that fiasco with the OCZ Petrol I've since got a Synology NAS to make sure everything is protected (and that's backed up to two different locations and UPS'd). Can't have too many backups :)

Cheers,
Stu.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Samsung 830 Series (Re: Do Not Buy This SSD!)
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »
Today afternoon I also dared to upgrade my dedicated WeatherCat MacBook (Mid 2009) with a Samsung SSD (830 Series / 256GB). Very happy with it! Just a few words to how I migrate from HDD to SSD:

? Took the new SSD in an external FireWire Drive (in my case I disassembled my WD Passport > this is my Backup solution - not needed during this process ;) )
? Connected the Drive and run Disk Utility to format the SSD into MacOS Extended Journaled
? Used SuperDuper! to clone the HDD onto the new SSD (in SuperDuper! choose the option Backup - all files)
? Backup procedure lasts approx. one hour (with ~60GB of data on m side)
? Took the SSD out of the WD Passport and replaced the MacBook HDD with the cloned SSD
? Reassembled my WD Passport with its original HDD (500 GB, used as Backup and TimeMachine disk for the MacBook)
? Restarted the Book (whhooommm), run WeatherCat (whhooommm) and after it downloaded the missing data I enjoyed!!!

All WeatherCat data seem to be in place - all as usual - just a *bit* faster. ;D

Cheers, Reinhard
Reinhard