Author Topic: Look for "Fact-checked" reports in Google searches  (Read 3126 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Look for "Fact-checked" reports in Google searches
« on: April 13, 2017, 02:22:43 PM »

This is supported by 115 organizations around the world. Check for groups in your continent. The method should be usable by any search engine since it relies on "publishers using a Schema.org markup" or a "widget developed by the Duke University Reporters Lab and Jigsaw." Hopefully other engines will follow Googles lead! ThU5:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: Look for "Fact-checked" reports in Google searches
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 08:28:41 PM »
I plugged "the world is flat" in Google's search field and the first three returns were Tom Friedman's book of that name, followed by a Wikipedia article on his book. Where's the fact checking?

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 09:11:02 PM »
Don't know if it's operational yet. Nor do l use Google. Since Google already knows so much about you, they probably don't bother with "crank" requests!  [lol2]

OTOH, what part of "flat earth" might you be contesting?! Obviously, you've never been close to the edges! You really should travel more! [rockon]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear X-Air, Felix, and WeatherCat seekers of da' FAX!!

Oddly enough, your link didn't work once more.  It appears that your fancy formatting may be spooking the forum software somehow.

We'll see if this really accomplishes something.  Unfortunately, I fear that the silicon valley isn't the strongest defender of objectivity.  The world would be a much better place if geeks stopped passing judgement on what is true or false and instead focused on their real job: writing robust, secure, and efficient code!

Cheers, Edouard

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Fake news
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 05:15:44 AM »
I fear that Fake News, fact checking its own fake news, doesn't give me much hope. The main stream media uses fake news as a slam on the new media. The trouble for them is, they are going the way of the buggy whip, where power and freedom that the internet brings allows us to go around their narrow narrative and collect the facts ourselves. Gone are the days of Cronkite or CNN telling us their view of "what is" without hearing the other side of the story.

There have been so many fake news stories on Trump, and so many retractions. The irony is, it's the big name players like the WSJ, CNN, and NYT doing most of the erroneous stories with retractions, while they continue to hurl the insult of Fake News at outlets they compete with or differ with politically. Makes you go hmmm.
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 04:48:20 PM »
The link is now fixed. I'll create a different Typinator shortcut just for the WC forums. I think I've found the problem.

"WSJ", "CNN", "NYT" are none of my regular news sources. ;)

Depending on complete novices to report facts is fraught with opportunities for misinformation. As I'm sure most pilots will confirm, "eyewitnesses" are the least accurate sources of 'facts'. ;)

I can only suggest that the article I linked to be read, along with he secondary link to Duke University. Many of the protocols, both human and algorithmic, explain how his process works. Personally, I am gratified to see one site I often use is listed as a supporting/publishing source.

Personally, I distrust just about any "source" that has a profit motive and/or has advertising.

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Link
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 04:54:37 PM »
Link works, thanks!
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 05:00:06 PM »
My pleasure! Had to help out ("You may leave now" [cheer] ) at my wife's Garage Sale for a couple of hours or it would have been repaired earlier! ThU32:-)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Not a task for amateurs (Re: Look for "Fact-checked" reports)
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 08:19:17 PM »
Dear X-Air, DFW, and WeatherCat armchair philosophers,

All comments well taken.  I suppose one more observation would be to point out that the status of human knowledge is anything but secure.  From the philosophical point of view: what is certain is anything but.  Google I'm sure insists it is simply trying to be helpful and that any sort of checking is better than nothing.  However, I flat out disagree.  Google has made people think less and take things more directly precisely because it is so easy to make a search.  Since people have so little time, it is not easy for people to not simply make one search, but carefully research a topic to get a complete sense of all the diverse perspectives on a given matter.  By adding this fact check service, Google is further discouraging thoughtfulness and encouraging people to let Google to the checking.  Contrary to the initial impressions, it is a good business move for Google and not the contribution to society that Google claims it to be.

Cheers, Edouard 

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 08:39:15 PM »
As I understand it, the only thing actually required, other than being selected and vetted by the Duke group, which requires a record of verified success in 'fact-finding' skills, is the use of certain markup tags created by Schema.org. That means any search engine can mark/display the 'fact-checked' icon/symbol/marker. Unless Google has some secret agreement with the 115 checkers and Duke, there is absolutely nothing of business/monetary benefit to Google. I still don't/won't use Google as my primary search engine. I have never encouraged anyone to use them. But I am completely amazed at the negative comments about what is the most positive effort I have seen on the web since Wikipedia!

Good grief, use the new service or don't! Deny that there is any other "fact" than what you already 'believe'! Just remember, ignorance of the truth is no excuse for supporting idiots.  cmu:-)