Author Topic: Last chance to contact your Congressman  (Read 3186 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Last chance to contact your Congressman
« on: March 25, 2017, 10:22:55 PM »
This didn't take long:
If you think Google collects a lot of info on you, wait until it's your ISP! Only hope now is to get the same folks who shot down repealing & replacing the AHC to shoot this down in Congress.

There are a couple of great quotes from Consumer Report and Electronic Frontier Foundation If the House passes this, the only 'good thing' will be one less question about using your data, they will just do it without the question. [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Last chance to contact your Congressman
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 02:07:23 PM »
It's too late. The "fat lady" is about to sign... oops! Correct characters, wrong order... She's about to "sing"! [rolleyes2]

The House of "Representatives" voted 215 to 205 to give ISPs total access to use any and everything you do with the web. Another vote for the little guy (formerly known as the poor, down trodden corporation). We have no printable 'smilie' to show my disdain for the main actors in this event.

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 02:19:50 PM »
The way this administration is shaping up, we're going to need a political commentary subsection in the Trixology forum.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 02:26:21 PM »
No comment.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 03:39:56 PM »
Reinhard

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 03:51:01 PM »
Hey X-Air, how about a little commentary on the Toshiba-Westinghouse nuclear bankruptcy. You've got two nuke plants under construction in your state, don't you? I read that Georgia allows utility companies to charge ratepayers for construction in progress. So Georgians could be paying for plants which may never be completed. And then continuing to pay to mothball the unfinished sites and settle up the inevitable lawsuits for early contract terminations.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 08:16:38 PM »
I'm not worried about visitors concerns about my hobby site, but VPN may be in my future...

In other news:
We get our electricity from the TVA, which does have 3 nuclear plants. It was originally designed to use he Tennessee and other regional rivers to generate power. There are 29 of hose. But they also need coal (8) and gas (9) powered steam powered generation to meet the growing needs of the region. They also have one wind and 14 solar sites.

If we would ever get the nuclear waste problem solved, it could be all we'd ever need... maybe like 740k is all the RAM we'd ever need! Fusion, would solve the waste problem of course.

I'm not sure how much TVA power goes to GA. If generation plants don't have local/state/federal support, it is pretty tough to gather up financing to build any kind of plant. Nobody wants to pay what it really costs to get the energy we use, now.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 11:27:20 PM »
Have you contacted your Congressman and Senator about "net neutrality"?

The above links work on every browser of every device I can access.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Corrected link (Re: Last chance to contact your Congressman)
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 11:45:15 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat concerned netizens, . . .

Have you contacted your Congressman and Senator about "net neutrality"?

Unfortunately, your link was broken once more.  I believe this is what you intended to link to:

http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/fcc-chief-sparks-clash-with-call-to-repeal-net-neutrality

Something we all should be aware of is what exactly we are pasting when grabbing a URL.  Often there will be additional commands (usually after a question mark '?") that will refer to things like the ad campaign associated with this article and so on.  It is a good idea to try to remove anything after a question mark and see if the same article will load.  It shortens the URL and avoids any risk that there some information in that URL that might refer to you.  I've found my email included in some URLs so be careful!

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 01:01:40 AM »
Strange, the first link works fine on both the Desktop and iPhone. The second link, to the government site is broken, on the iPhone. However, I checked both on the Desktop version of Safari right after posting them. I am finding that the forum software attempts to duplicate the URL code, usually on the first Preview. Editing out the duplication seems to prevent that, although not consistently, apparently. I suppose I can simply revert to the 1980 method of simply posting the URL in all its ugliness. I'll edit the links and hold my nose! [lol]

BTW, both links work exactly correctly in Safari, Opera, Firefox, and Chrome on my desktop. However, I will still edit them down to their pure url. [banghead]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 01:45:31 AM »
Edouard, since you have Admin powers, you can look at the post that had the 'broken links' and see exactly what they look like now. However, here is what the text was before I clicked the "Save/Post" button.
Code: [Select]
[center]
FCC Chief Sparks Clash...
[b][color=blue][url]http://ww...27a08[/url][/color][/b]

Find and then write, phone...
[b][color=blue][url]https://ww...embers[/url][/color][/b]
[/center]
Note that the forum software has changed the original:
"[url]http..."
to
"[url=http://ww...27a08]http://ww...27a08"
Even using the forum's 'link' button inserts only:
[url][/url]Apparently, a url should be inserted (along with a "=") between the "[url" and the "]" and then any desired display text can be inserted between the beginning and ending url 'tags'.

Not quite. After testing, the software does insert the "=" and the url into the url 'open tag' even if the user inserts the url between the opening and closing url 'tags'. Thus, adding styling and explanatory, helpful, shortening url "text" may require re-editing the link. I can only assume the software is either old or trying to avoid the more usual and easier methods of constructing links for ease of use by the author and the viewer. Owe wel, wie kant awl bee purfekt! cmu:-)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
SMF can be "too helpful." . . (Was: contact your Congressman)
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 11:15:39 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat BBC power users,

Apparently, a url should be inserted (along with a "=") between the "[url" and the "]" and then any desired display text can be inserted between the beginning and ending url 'tags'.

Not quite. After testing, the software does insert the "=" and the url into the url 'open tag' even if the user inserts the url between the opening and closing url 'tags'. Thus, adding styling and explanatory, helpful, shortening url "text" may require re-editing the link. I can only assume the software is either old or trying to avoid the more usual and easier methods of constructing links for ease of use by the author and the viewer. Owe wel, wie kant awl bee purfekt! cmu:-)

Unfortunately I've also noticed that this forum software can "help" with the URL tag in such a way that actually breaks things.  [rolleyes2]  I've never had a problem on the WeatherCat forum, but I've had trouble on the 65GS.com forum which uses the same software.  If we are fussing with BBC codes we need to be careful to make sure that the codes we put down actually remain there.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 11:34:56 PM »
Actually, the forum code creates the standard HTML format for a link. It simply does it after one Posts the message. Before you 'Post' the Preview makes it appear to be OK. It's just the way the devs decided to do it. No use my complaining (although I like to stay in practice, someday it may actually be heard!). Like much else in this World, it's not something I can control! [lol] I'll simply try to verify any link immediately after posting and corekt iny mysteakz. I can always add the styling later. [rolleyes2]

Your comment about personal data sometimes included in the url is also important. Especially when filling out a form where you enter that kind of info. Unfortunately, in that case, it may be too late to avoid sending stuff 'in-the-clear'. Best we can probably do is use a 'safe' site, as in HTTPS...

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 07:43:20 PM »
Another chance! ;)
From Namecheap:
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) recently proposed alarming changes to online privacy. Namecheap is proud to stand alongside companies like Amazon, Netflix, and Reddit in the fight to to protect Internet freedom. Add your voice in support of net neutrality by visiting Namecheap.com on July 12. Click below for more information.
http://www.netneutrality.com/
https://www.battleforthenet.com
Please enter or add your own thoughts in the message part of the email.