Author Topic: Double sunrise in the Alps  (Read 2834 times)

idunn

• Strong Breeze
  • name: idunn
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
  • Station Details: WS1080, iMac 10.9.5, Canon Powershot A510 zoomed with gphoto2, located at 950m in Gross Switzerland, Webcam view SE to Alps on magpie-hill.com on WeatherCloud (MagpieHill) and Wunderground (ID icantono2)
Double sunrise in the Alps
« on: January 22, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »
Hi forum folks.

I want you to see how the sun came up twice today on both sides of a mountain peak.

https://youtu.be/hkM0SJtnqO0

Would be nice to be able to add movies to the Simple Web. Someday Stu?

Regards,  Irving

idunn

• Strong Breeze
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
  • Station Details: WS1080, iMac 10.9.5, Canon Powershot A510 zoomed with gphoto2, located at 950m in Gross Switzerland, Webcam view SE to Alps on magpie-hill.com on WeatherCloud (MagpieHill) and Wunderground (ID icantono2)
Re: Double sunrise in the Alps
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
Hello,
I made a better version using my webcam photos saved each minute by WC.
https://youtu.be/ZaB3U79bHxg

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 02:54:40 PM »
If you have WC creating the ".mov" file, I don't see any problem in putting them on your web page. Although I've never used the "Simple Web" function, it appears to let you put anything you want in the html document. Did you try the code I supplied last week? Perhaps you can send one of us the text you have in "Notes" section of the Simple Web prefs? Looking at your site's source seems to imply that it is nothing but frames. Apparently WC takes the text you supply in the "Notes" section (which is nothing but html) and creates a frame?

First, I assume you have wed space that you (or WC can) upload to. All you need is a simple text editor to write and save as plain text (.txt). TextEd it is fine, free and already installed. html is extremely simple, having only a couple dozen 'tags' that you'll probably ever use. a web 'page' is nothing more than a plain text file with the ".txt" replaced with ".html". Seriously, it is absolutely not 'rocket science'. It is exactly like using the full editing page at this and most other forums; a collection of "tags" that allow you to style text, mark paragraphs, insert an image (or video), create a list, insert a link, etc., etc. Actually the biggest difference is that html "tags" use "<" and ">" instead of "[" and "]" to define a "tag". In the time it took to write your post, you could have created a web page. :) ThU5:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

idunn

• Strong Breeze
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 03:47:11 PM »
Hi Xair,
I am making the .mov file by using iMovie to process still photos, either the WC-saved stills or directly from iPhoto. Then I upload to Youtube. I have a host for my Simple Web, but no other web space.  I have not looked into using the HTML code you sent earlier. I don't see how I could use it with Simple Web but will look into your suggestions and report back. All these things are easy once you know how.  ha ha.
Irving

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for sharing! (Re: Double sunrise in the Alps)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 11:35:34 PM »
Dear Irving, X-Air, and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

I want you to see how the sun came up twice today on both sides of a mountain peak.

Thanks for sharing Irving - very nice!  :)

Would be nice to be able to add movies to the Simple Web. Someday Stu?

I think you would need to use a custom web template if you want to add things like videos.  That's really the purpose of the custom web function, to allow for individual customizing.  You might take a look at my very simple web template that can be edited using the Seamonkey HTML editor:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=956.0

As has been my practice, there is a lot of detailed documentation to help you get started.

The Seamonkey editor allows you to edit web pages much as you edit text with a word processor.  So you could add things without knowing HTML.  Unfortunately this sort of editing is hardly perfect, so keep copies of what you started with and save frequently so that you backtrack when something goes haywire.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 03:18:49 AM »
I would suggest that any editor purporting to be needed  to make html 'code'  is guilty of false advertising at a minimum. ;) While there are many functions that an editor can make available, they are only for convenience and not requirements in writing html. html can be taught to elementary age students. It is not even "programming". Is is nothing more than a markup "language". As a matter of fact, that's where the "ml" comes from. [rolleyes2] [lol]

If you'll post the name of your hosting company, or send it to me in a PM, I'll be happy to find out what they offer you as far as web space, bandwidth (both up and down), page numbers and other services. You may be surprised at what you are paying for. ;)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 06:38:30 PM »
Hello,
I made a better version using my webcam photos saved each minute by WC.
https://youtu.be/ZaB3U79bHxg
Very nicely done sir. Thanks for sharing this unique sunset view.

Although I've never used the "Simple Web" function, it appears to let you put anything you want in the html document.
This is one of those times when not having used a function, you misunderstand what it does. WeatherCat's Simple Web feature is not a template that can be edited by the user. It provides a simple pre-formatted web page for those who do not want to customize. As Edouard said, if you want to customize (i.e. add a video), you use the Custom Web feature, which allows you to use an editable template of your choice, or just code from scratch. Although your advice is well-intentioned, it does not change the fact that it is not applicable to Irving using the Simple Web function. A one-minute look at the Simple Web tab in Preferences will suffice for you to see that you have only 4 options:
  • How often to update
  • Add a webcam still shot
  • Display your WC Journal
  • Add some header text
Anything outside this, has to be done using Custom Web, your advice not withstanding.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 07:46:27 PM »
I stand corrected that the "Notes:" section is only for adding "<h1>" thru "<h6>" tags and text. Obviously, the paragraph tags ("<p>" and "</p>") are left out but allowed (as seen in the example in The Manual). Browsers are so/too lenient about inserting those, automatically.

Thanks for clearing this up, it has been many months since I actually did use the "Simple Web" prefs and found it unsuitable for my needs, especially since html is so simple itself. I'm too lazy to re-create the simple page I thought I had inserted in the "Notes:" box of the "Texts" tab. [banghead]

I did learn that both Simple and Custom Web pages can be used at the same time. Further alleviating the any loss of the "Simple" while creating a Custom one. Yet another reason to pursue having a "custom" site with exactly what one wants on it. ThU5:-)