Author Topic: Sad times for the Macintosh faithful.  (Read 8977 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Sad times for the Macintosh faithful.
« on: November 07, 2016, 11:14:04 PM »
Dear WeatherCat users who still remember the Apple Computer that Steve Jobs resurrected,

There was a stinging article on the techie website The Verge making a point by point critique of the latest MacBook Pro offerings:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/7/13548052/the-macbook-pro-lie

At the core of the complaint is that while Apple continues to make "cute" technology, it has gotten out of touch with what professional users of a computer need and want in order to be productive in their profession.  As a result, the MacBook Pro is no longer competitive with the latest PC Laptop offerings.  The article is only one of a number of blunt critiques that Apple has lost its way and is more a caricature of its former self than the technology leader it once was.

There is very little the Mac user community can do except perhaps use our pocketbook to encourage change.  If Apple doesn't offer us a product that really is a significant improvement over what we have now - indeed we are well served to keep what we have and allow Apple sales to slump as they should.

Certainly a sad time to be a Mac user (and that certainly isn't the only thing to be sad about . . . . )

Edouard

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
    • Indian Mountain Lakes - Carbon County Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, MacMini (i5 2.5Ghz 4GBRam 500GB HD, 4TB attached storage), other bits coming soon (UV, etc)
Re: Sad times for the Macintosh faithful.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 12:34:54 AM »
It is a sad time... i've been through a few with Apple since my Apple ][ way back when ... but I have been seriously reviewing my options for the past few days - options outside of the Cuppertino offerings...

The iPhone 7 - meh, MBP a joke, nothing new for the MacPro/Desktop worth a damn... Apple is in a rut, and unless they can bring back Zombie Steve, I am not sure that it will get better this time.

Tim is far from up for the Job(s) and it's starting to show IMNSHO

Btw - I would love a touch panel - about the size of .. i dunno ... my screen!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 02:12:59 AM »
Today I just ordered the new 13" MacBook Pro in the 16GB/512 GB configuration with AppleCare and three dongles. This will be the most I have ever spent on a Mac other than the $1200 Quadra that had about $1500 in peripherals. And that was in 1993 dollars. (But then I also spent about $1800 on a VIC-20 with peripherals in 1982 dollars, too...)

The new MBP is for my daughter for Christmas, and replaces her very slow 2007 (?) MacBook for college. This will be the last computer I buy for her, so it is loaded to last. We looked at grabbing a remaining early 2015 MBP instead (the same as mine), but the only off the shelf configurations we could find were 8GB/512GB for about $400 less. The upgraded hardware will make it last a little longer before it to is too slow or too small.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 02:17:01 AM »
Wow, I jus did the conversion! $2700 in 1993 dollars is $4500 today. $1800 in 1982 dollars is $4529 today. Those were expensive computers!

Her new MBP is a steal! :D
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 04:16:46 AM »
By 'dongles' do you mean the various adapters and cables for the USB-C/Thunderbird 3? Apple supposedly reduced the prices for all those today. Just wanted to be sure you got the new, lower prices after the uproar over the previous prices. See the latest TIDbits issue.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 09:39:45 AM »
Apple actually reduced dongle prices 4 days ago so Steve should be fine.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 04:04:09 PM »
Apple actually reduced dongle prices 4 days ago so Steve should be fine.

Yep, I got the cost reduced dongles:
  USB --> USB-C/Thunderbolt
  SD Card --> USB-C/Thunderbolt
  Lightning --> USB-C/Thunderbolt (for phone, but could have used current phone cord and USB dongle.)
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 04:39:05 PM »
Anybody thinking of connecting a WeatherStation with such a dongle to the Mac??? If Apple Inc. does cut the Desktops, too, than I am afraid my Apple time is up.

:-X :-X :-X

:-[
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 08:16:51 PM »
If Apple Inc. does cut the Desktops, too, then I am afraid my Apple time is up.
That could take several more years. I know a guy who still supports Apple ][ computers, at least up till about two years ago!! He moved to another state and I no longer see him, so I'm not positive about those antiques! But I'm sure he still supports/sells early iMacs, even the multi-colored ones! I suspect there will be many "cottage industries" that will keep our Macs running until I'm into my 90's! ;) Who knows what we'll be using in 15 years?!

After all, it's not just the hardware that I like about the Mac. In fact, that part is not really much different than what runs Windows, anyway! But there is nothing like Mac software! You have to look no farther than WC to know that! ThU5:-)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Sure hope Apple hears the wake-up call! (Re: Sad times for the Mac faithful.)
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 11:35:39 PM »
Dear John, Steve, X-Air, Blick, Reinhard, and WeatherCat Apple faithful, . . .

It is a sad time... i've been through a few with Apple since my Apple ][ way back when ... but I have been seriously reviewing my options for the past few days - options outside of the Cuppertino offerings...

The grumblings are getting louder and more public.  I hope Apple hears the wake up call!

Tim is far from up for the Job(s) and it's starting to show IMNSHO

What bothers me is that the investors haven't started grumbling yet.  They have the power to get Tim sacked.

Anybody thinking of connecting a WeatherStation with such a dongle to the Mac??? If Apple Inc. does cut the Desktops, too, than I am afraid my Apple time is up.

It isn't 9 to 5 professionals who need the more conventional technology - we are in the same boat.  The complaint seems simple enough: something that is cool isn't always practical and Macintosh users have practical needs as well.  Can Apple "grow up" and take care of their adult customers instead of pandering only to their addicts of "geeky cool" ??? ? ?

*Heavy sigh* . . . . . . Edouard 

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 01:17:38 PM »
Interesting my thoughts on migrating to Windows are being mirrored here in regards to Apple's lack of interest supporting the professional.  The demise of Apple's photography program called Aperture and it's replacement called Photos was a wake up call for me and has me really eying migrating back to Windows. Factor in the continuing decline in Pages, Keynote, and other Apple software really has me doubting Apple has much to offer me anymore.  Also, being forced to update the OS which eventually forces you to update your computer.  Sure the OS update is free but Apple rakes you over the coals with the price of their new hardware.  I find most of Apple's OS and software enhancements more a step backwards.  Seems like the trend is to remove functionality from everything it order to make the software more usable for touch screen devices.  For me a lot of the software/OS enhancements are just sugar coating- all that happens is your fingers get all gummy and you cannot get the job done like you used to be able to  [rainyluck]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 03:22:39 PM »
I switched from Aperture to Lightroom just before Apple stopped development on the app. Never used iPhoto/Photos. Still use the original versions of Pages/Numbers/Keynote, although the
new' ones are installed and updated as needed to stop the 'nagging'.

Of course, you are free to use whatever hardware/OS/software you want. On the other hand, most software developers, whether Mac, Linux or Windows, always try to take advantage of the latest cpu offered by Intel/AMD/etc. I'm not sure you can blame Apple or any Windows computer maker for bringing out an updated OS.

The simple truth is, "Apple Computer" no longer exists. Just like Microsoft, it is trying to make all its OS work on all its hardware. MS doesn't even make hardware, so they have a much more difficult task.

Lastly,in my opinion, Apple has never been known as a computer for all professionals or professions. It usually is a battle to get a company to allow some one to use a Mac. There are exceptions in small areas, particularly the Arts. Frankly, I think most places that use lots of Macs do so because of its ease of use (including it's lack of successful hacks/malware), not its native software (iTunes, Photos, Pages, et all). I have many more "third-party" apps than native Apple ones, even in the Utilities category. In my opinion, if it weren't for these non-Apple devs, the company would have died years ago.

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 07:46:47 PM »
My 2 cents worth
 Apple is now making most of it's money on the iPhone it can do just about anything a mac can do and alots cheaper to make than a iMac, MacBook and so on. Most of my apps are third party apps that I use on my macs the problem is that a lot of the software that I use will no longer run on the latest  OS's so I hope my old Macbook stays running a little longer I keep my 2011 iMac up to date with the latest OS but I am getting tried of spending more money to upgrade the apps to be used on the latest OS
Either lack behind or stay up with the new isn't life just fun any more it was so much easier before computers entered my world  lol(1)

cheers
 [cheers1]

Think it's time for another  [beer]

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
My thoughts
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »
My thoughts about dongles:
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: My thoughts
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 04:58:26 PM »
Reinhard