Author Topic: Any ideas why Sierra upgrade would fail due to memory?  (Read 6640 times)

rexross

• Gentle Breeze
    • Galveston BeachFront Weather Station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 with UV and IR sensors. Station is mounted on beachfront in Galveston Texa.
Re: Any ideas why Sierra upgrade would fail due to memory?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 01:52:48 PM »
I am successfully running WeatherCat 2.41 and Sierra on a MacBook with 8GM of Ram.

No problems.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »
Still waiting to find one of those "round" 'to-itz' and make the upgrade! [blush] [computer] I guess I need to look harder! [rockon]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 10:29:02 PM »
I finally found the right sized and color "round to-it" yesterday and updated my iMac to macOS 10.12 Sierra. Unlike the mini, funning WC, it shuts down each night and restarts the next morning requiring a password. Today, when I finally got to sit down in front of the iMac, I found a huge list of "Disk ejected improperly, don't do that!" notifications. The login prompt was still there, of course. I then learned the obvious; you can't remove Notifications unless you are logged in. The good thing is that one need not click/Close every single Notification. Apparently, maybe since they were all the same message, a couple of Close clicks got rid of all of them.

My next, un-exciting task was to figure out which of the two external drives was the problem and why it/they were ejecting themselves. After several swaps with the four possible drives, switching cables, etc. I finally remembered the "sleeping" computer problems in this thread. [banghead] Sure enough, upon opening the Energy Saver System Pref, there was the "Put computer to sleep" setting at 10 minutes. [computer] I changed that to "Never" and have had no more erroneous disk ejects, even though the Display has gone to sleep several times. [cheer]

What is confusing to me (along with much of "life") is that I still have "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" checked! Apparently it is the computer going to sleep rather than the disks that causes the "Disk ejected improperly" Notification. Seems backwards/counter-intuitive to me...  [rolleyes2]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Effect of sleep on drive life? (Re: Sierra upgrade would fail)
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 11:56:58 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat Mac hardware caregivers,

What is confusing to me (along with much of "life") is that I still have "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" checked! Apparently it is the computer going to sleep rather than the disks that causes the "Disk ejected improperly" Notification. Seems backwards/counter-intuitive to me...  [rolleyes2]

Sounds to me like this isn't a confusion, but another OS bug.  The computer shouldn't go to sleep before the hard drives are parked.

Not to hijack this thread, but out of curiosity.  What is the conventional wisdom about powering a drive on and off?  Many years ago, there was a belief that powering a drive off increased its risk of failing.  As long as the drive was spinning, the bearings were in equilibrium.  It is in starting or stopping that the parts are put under stress.  I have observed that drives often die when started.  Has hard drive design improved so that you don't have to worry about starting and stopping them causing the the life of the drive to shorten?

Anybody know?

Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Effect of sleep on drive life? (Re: Sierra upgrade would fail)
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 12:16:20 AM »
Not to hijack this thread, but out of curiosity.  What is the conventional wisdom about powering a drive on and off?  Many years ago, there was a belief that powering a drive off increased its risk of failing.  As long as the drive was spinning, the bearings were in equilibrium.  It is in starting or stopping that the parts are put under stress.  I have observed that drives often die when started.  Has hard drive design improved so that you don't have to worry about starting and stopping them causing the the life of the drive to shorten?

Anybody know?
This point has been argued for decades and each side has about 50% of the user base in its corner.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 02:11:12 AM »
...each side has about 50% of the user base in its corner.
Whenever I have a 50/50 choice, 90% of the time I get it wrong!
lol(1)
Actually, I'm hedging my bets! I let the TM drive run as long as the iMac is on. I turn the CCC drive on, let it make the daily back up and turn it off. It usually runs only 30 minutes a day, often less than 10!

The mini, running WC, has both drives on 24/7, just like the computer. It's behind some clutter and out-of-sight, out-of-mind!

But as far as I know, these WD drives shut themselves down until they 'see' an I/O request.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Re: Effect of sleep on drive life? (Re: Sierra upgrade would fail)
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 10:29:49 PM »
Dear Blick, X-Air and WeatherCat old school IT types,

This point has been argued for decades and each side has about 50% of the user base in its corner.

Good!
  So I'll stick to my point of view on account of I'm lazy!  lol(1)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]