Author Topic: Hello from Ulverston in the North West UK  (Read 3642 times)

Wrongway

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 with Vantage Vue as slave monitor. Dedicated Zotac low power PC.
Hello from Ulverston in the North West UK
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:06:10 PM »
I setup a weather station about 18 months ago mainly to keep an eye on weather for my other hobby. Flying model helicopters and aircraft. I have had an interest in weather for a long time so quite enjoyed setting a station up.

I have been an Apple user for about 9 years now after my son converted me. However for various reasons the WX station runs Weather Display on a dedicated PC. But that's why I am here. I want to investigate the OS X weather software. So I will be posing the question in a bit more detail in what I hope is the more appropriate place here.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome (Re: Hello from Ulverston in the North West UK)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:55:18 PM »
Hello Wrongway and WeatherCat fans,

Welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

I have been an Apple user for about 9 years now after my son converted me. However for various reasons the WX station runs Weather Display on a dedicated PC. But that's why I am here. I want to investigate the OS X weather software. So I will be posing the question in a bit more detail in what I hope is the more appropriate place here.

Actually, this forum is dedicated to a particular software package for collecting real-time weather data from a station: WeatherCat.  Obviously, we would love to have you adopt WeatherCat and join our community, but there are other choices as well.  One important consideration is whether or not your weather station is supported by WeatherCat.  the stations supported is listed here on the WeatherCat features page.

There is a "sister forum" to this one for more general Mac Weather setup and computing issues: www.macweather.net.  You might want to ask your questions there as well to get some additional perspective.

Best of luck in getting your weather station switched over to Mac!!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
Re: Hello from Ulverston in the North West UK
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »
Hello Wrongway and welcome. I am just across the water from you so its good to know that there are others nearby. I too have been running , and still run, WD on a dedicated PC, in actual fact run on Fusion inside my mac. Great program, but very high maintenance in view of all the data it can supply. For those that need such things, especially for the elegant websites out there then it is brilliant.
However, if you want straightforward details about the weather for your flying then you will find the Cat is hard to beat. Simple and clean interface, lots of other things too like uploading to a website, downloading charts, expandable graphics. I would HIGHLY recommend using it. If you want to chat some more PM me and I will pass along my phone number. you are also more than welcome to come and see my station so you can compare side by side.
Choosing the Cat though will not be a mistake.

Best wishes

Mike

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:02:19 PM »
Hello there Wrongway! Welcome.

This from the WeatherCat web page:

WeatherCat comes with a 14 day trial period; during this time, all functionality will be available. After 14 days WeatherCat will stop collecting data and will require the purchase of a license to continue operation.

So, try it for a couple of weeks. You'll find the software pretty easy to use. It follows the Macintosh design protocol very well.

Hope this helps...
Herb
Herb

Wrongway

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 with Vantage Vue as slave monitor. Dedicated Zotac low power PC.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »
Thank's for the advice.  I will probably try it out for a couple of weeks running on a Mac Mini when I get a new interface for the Vantage Vue.  That way I can run in parallel with the existing system.

Mike.  Many thanks.  I have sent you a PM.

Rob

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 05:06:07 PM »
Welcome!

Lots of new faces from Scotland. According to Stu (WeatherCat's developer), y'all don't really need weather stations. Just assume it is going to be cool and wet and you're good to go! ;)

Glad you found us,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook