Author Topic: WeatherCatRCP 1.1 (180619) for iOS Beta  (Read 6487 times)

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
WeatherCatRCP 1.1 (180619) for iOS Beta
« on: June 19, 2018, 07:48:12 PM »
WeatherCatRCP version 1.1 is available for Beta testing.

What's new
When awakened, the App will detect if the Gateway has changed and provide an alert.
The alert gives you the option of continuing with the new Gateway or changing the server.
This alert is an option on the Options screen. The default is OFF.

The Gateway changes when your device switches to a different WiFi network,
switches from WiFi to a cellular network, switches from a celluar network to WiFi,
looses the network connection (cellular or WiFi) entirely, or re-connects after loosing a connection.

This option is helpful if your WeatherCat 3 server is on the "Local network" (WiFi),
but not accessible from the Internet. It lets you deal with those instances when you
are away from your local network and inadvertently open WeatherCatRCP, causing
WeatherCatRCP to spend what seems like an eternity searching for the non-existant "Local network".
Instead, you can select "Change Server" in the Gateway Changed Alert and either
switch to an Internet connection or quit the App.

Tip
If you get "No network connection" or cannot connect on the "WeatherCat Servers" screen.
Tap the Radio Button next to the Local or Internet URL to try again.

Specific changes
- Added a "Gateway change Alert" switch on the Options screen (default is OFF).
- If the Gateway alert switch is ON, show an alert when the App becomes active and the Gateway has changed.
- Show an error message (instead of error number) when there is no network connection.
- Show the Gateway IP address on the Settings Manage WeatherCat Servers screen.

Notes to Beta Testers
Use TestFlight to install WeatherCatRCP Version 1.1. If you want to revert to the original 1.0 release,
you can delete 1.1 on your device and re-install 1.0 from the Apple App Store.

Please share your insights and experiences on the ways you found the "Gateway Changed" feature useful.

Members of the original v1.0 Beta test group will be automatically invited.

See the iOS Clients topic "About the WeatherCatRCP Beta" for information on joining the Beta test group and using TestFlight.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Not available for me. (Re: WeatherCatRCP 1.1 (180619) for iOS Beta)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 11:12:39 PM »
Dear Grand and WeatherCat iOS leading edge types,

WeatherCatRCP version 1.1 is available for Beta testing.

. . . .

Members of the original v1.0 Beta test group will be automatically invited.

I tried to access this from the Test Flight app, but version 1.1 doesn't get displayed.  Does this new version require iOS 11?  I've been dragging my feet to upgrade.

Cheers, Edouard

PaSun

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2
Re: WeatherCatRCP 1.1 (180619) for iOS Beta
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 01:20:19 AM »
Hello  Grand,

WCRCP 1.1 does not appear for me in TestFlight, only version 1.0

Regards,
Paul

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 03:42:27 AM »
WCRCP 1.1 does not appear for me in TestFlight, only version 1.0

I think this was a glitch in the TestFlight setup. Hopefully, I corrected it and the Beta testers should get their invitations to the v1.1 testing.

David

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW8863
    • KMDGLENB25
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 04:13:01 AM »
I LOVE IT! Thank you! I'll see if I can break it, but I haven't had any luck so far.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 09:21:34 AM »
So far, so good. Thanks Grand.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Working fine now! (Re: WeatherCatRCP 1.1 (180619) for iOS Beta)
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 11:14:17 PM »
Dear Grand, David, Blick, and WeatherCat early iOS adopters,

I think this was a glitch in the TestFlight setup. Hopefully, I corrected it and the Beta testers should get their invitations to the v1.1 testing.

100% correct!  I was able to install it today and everything is looking fine!  I'll try out the new feature tomorrow - if I can manage to remember!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

PaSun

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 05:26:51 AM »
Grand,

No notification, but went to TestFlight today & the update was there.
All looks good after updating to 1.1

~Paul

David

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW8863
    • KMDGLENB25
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 04:23:56 PM »
Bug report: Classic WC (in WC-RCP) locks app.

This occurred when I tried to access the classic WC server using the "Classic" mode from WeatherCatRCP. At the time I was not on the appropriate network for the selected server. The WC "Classic" mode produced the attached screenshot and it took quite a bit of fiddling with the app (killing it, changing between LTE and WiFi) to get anything (iOS WC-RCP or iOS WC-RCP Classic) to work properly. I was still able to use the classic WC iOS app to access the classic WC server during this time. I'll try to recreate it and provide more details but for now this is all I have.

David

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW8863
    • KMDGLENB25
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 04:35:15 PM »
Bug #2: WC-RCP iOS Connects to ddns.net from local (on WiFi) network (This is the same network the WC-RCP server is on.), acknowledges the server from the Manage WeatherCat Servers page, but reports that it is not a WC-RCP server on Channels, Reports, and etc pages. This is not a high priority bug in my opinion, it's just a little misleading.

This is not a high priority bug in my opinion, it's just causes a little confusion at first.

David

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW8863
    • KMDGLENB25
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 06:48:31 PM »
Would it be possible to enable ?zoom? on each of the ?Graph? pages?

It wouldn't provide any more detail because the graph is an image. One would just be zooming in on fewer pixels.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 09:36:51 PM by The Grand Poohbah »

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 09:30:45 PM »
Bug report: Classic WC (in WC-RCP) locks app.

This occurred when I tried to access the classic WC server using the "Classic" mode from WeatherCatRCP. At the time I was not on the appropriate network for the selected server. The WC "Classic" mode produced the attached screenshot and it took quite a bit of fiddling with the app (killing it, changing between LTE and WiFi) to get anything (iOS WC-RCP or iOS WC-RCP Classic) to work properly. I was still able to use the classic WC iOS app to access the classic WC server during this time. I'll try to recreate it and provide more details but for now this is all I have.

Here's how I attempted to reproduce this bug: I went to WeatherCatRCP/Classic and accessed a server. I tapped the home button and changed the WiFi gateway in Settings/Wi-Fi. I then went back to WeatherCatRCP. The Gateway change Alert appeared on the WeatherCatRCP/Classic screen and everything worked as it should. The "Locked" that was in your Classic status line indicates that some other communication problem occurred. See if you can recreate the steps that caused the "Locked" status.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 09:34:36 PM »
Bug #2: WC-RCP iOS Connects to ddns.net from local (on WiFi) network (This is the same network the WC-RCP server is on.), acknowledges the server from the Manage WeatherCat Servers page, but reports that it is not a WC-RCP server on Channels, Reports, and etc pages. This is not a high priority bug in my opinion, it's just a little misleading.

This is not a high priority bug in my opinion, it's just causes a little confusion at first.

The next time a "...is not a WeatherCat server" appears, tap the appropriate radio button for the server you are using. This will cause a retry which usually fixes the problem.

If you send me your URL in a message and I will attempt to reproduce the bug.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 09:40:48 PM »
David,

I think I accidentally deleted your feature request (that's one way to deal with them, eh?  :))

You asked for a "copy" of the report. Tell me more - why copy, what would you do with the copy, etc.?

David

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW8863
    • KMDGLENB25
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 10:08:19 PM »
I?d use it for a few reasons that I can think of.

1. Because I?m a data nerd and want to look back at the stats that are so nicely put together in WCRCP for iOS.
2. To share with friends and make them jealous.
3. It would be nice to have the final output along side the code to arrange them on my computer. I could do it with screen shots, but if I could copy the whole output report, it would make things nice.
4. To send to myself and look at them on my computer.