Author Topic: Importing from weatherlink... revisited  (Read 3154 times)

DaveMattey

• Calm
    • IHAMPSHI16
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage 2
Importing from weatherlink... revisited
« on: January 03, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »
Hi all

Sorry, revisiting a topic that went cold several years ago.  Apologies if the answer lies buried in the forum - I have looked! Prior to running LWC and Weathercat since 2010 I have several years of weatherlink data I never got round to converting.  I reconstructed the .cat data structure in Excel from exported WL data and this now shows up fine in the year on year statistics page of Weathercat... except for rainfall monthly and annual totals.  These are incorrect and I am obviously doing something wrong. 

Could someone confirm if I am understanding  and calculating these .cat paramaters correctly?

Ph is hourly precipitation  - here I was assuming this is hourly rate and has been left blank
P is total precipitation - here I copied the mm rainfall in each time interval (every 10 mins in my data file)
Pm is monthly precipitation - here I entered the running  monthly cumulative total of P values
Py is annual precipitation - here I entered the running  yearly cumulative total of P values

The problem could be the missing values for hourly precipitation Ph and/or not calculating "P" correctly?  I'd appreciate any advice here  :)

best wishes

Dave

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Parameters are that. (Re: Importing from weatherlink... revisited)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 11:49:28 PM »
Sorry, revisiting a topic that went cold several years ago.  Apologies if the answer lies buried in the forum - I have looked! Prior to running LWC and Weathercat since 2010 I have several years of weatherlink data I never got round to converting.  I reconstructed the .cat data structure from exported WL data in Excel and this now shows fine in the year on year statistics page of Weathercat... except for rainfall monthly and annual totals.  These are incorrect and I am obviously doing something wrong. 

Could someone confirm if I am understanding  and calculating these .cat paramaters correctly?

Ph is hourly precipitation  - here I was assuming this is hourly rate and has been left blank
P is total precipitation - here I used the mm rainfall per time interval (10 mins in my data file)
Pm is monthly precipitation - here I set each interval has the running  monthly cumulative total of P values
Py is annual precipitation - here I set each interval has the running  yearly cumulative total of P values

Here is the header from the current WeatherCat data files:

Code: [Select]
WeatherCat data file ***If you modify this file, be sure to delete the relevent .hrs file***.
t and V are not optional, all other fields are.
t is the day, hour and minute (2 digits each), T is outside temperature, Ti is internal temperature, T1 to T8 is auxiliary temperatures, D is dew point, Pr is barometric pressure, W is wind speed,
Wd is wind direction, Wc is wind chill, Wg is wind gust, Ph is hourly precipitation, P is total precipitation,
H is outside humidity, Hi is internal humidity, H1 to H8 are auxiliary humidity sensors, S is solar, CO21 to CO24 is CO2
Sm1 to Sm4 is soil moisture, Lw1 to Lw4 is leaf wetness, St1 to St4 is soil temperature,
Lt1 to Lt4 is leaf temperature, U is UV, Pm is monthly precipitation, Py is annual precipitation, Ed is daily ET, Em is monthly ET, Ey is yearly ET, C is current conditions (delimited by double quotes), V is validation.

VERS:3

It seems that you are doing everything correctly except I'm not sure I understand how you are computing P (Total precipitation.)  Are you setting this value to only the rain that fell during the previous 10 minutes or all the rain that had fallen that day to the point of that sampling?  The later is the correct value.

Do let us know if that has something to do with it.

Cheers, Edouard

DaveMattey

• Calm
    • IHAMPSHI16
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage 2
Re: Importing from weatherlink... revisited
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 08:48:15 AM »
Hi Edouard

Are you setting this value to only the rain that fell during the previous 10 minutes or all the rain that had fallen that day to the point of that sampling?  The later is the correct value.

The former -  I just tried setting P to the cumulative daily total and the summary month and annual totals now seem to be correct.  Thank you!  The header info for "P"  is a little ambiguous - total per interval rather than total per day, and I did wonder if that was the problem.

thanks again

dave

If anyone wants a copy of the excel conversion file  PM me

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Good news and thanks! (Re: Importing from weatherlink)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 10:45:15 PM »
Dear Dave and WeatherCat tinkerers,

The former -  I just tried setting P to the cumulative daily total and the summary month and annual totals now seem to be correct.  Thank you!

Glad to hear it!  I always like a happy ending!  :)

If anyone wants a copy of the excel conversion file  PM me

Thanks for the offer!  Every now and then we do have a newcomer who doesn't want to lose a single "drop" of data!  [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Importing from weatherlink... revisited
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 12:52:32 AM »
Dave, glad you are up and running with your converted data. Welcome to the WeatherCat forum.
Blick